It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

4 years gluten free- still anemic

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
katiecartoon
(female)

katiecartoon HB User
4 years gluten free- still anemic

Hi guys,

I have been gluten free for 4 years. I have been tired for a long time. I just found out I am anemic (Feritin 9 - 15-180 is normal). I took Iron pills, 6 weeks NO CHANGE in levels.

My doctor is not taking me seriously. I am waiting for an iron infusion (maybe 6 weeks).

The iron pills completely messed up my whole lower abdomen area (I think that's the cause). constipation, then diarhea (sp?) crazy bloating, full feeling, aches and pains.

I am so frustrated.

I have had to drop out of my life (university kids) I just in bed tired and achey.

any advice?

The following user gives a hug of support to katiecartoon:
SOE (11-07-2015)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: 4 years gluten free- still anemic

So sorry you are feeling badly. I've been quite ill for several months (different issue) and I would not be this ill had my doctor taken me seriously to begin with.

I'm no expert, but I know that I don't metabolize a lot of vitamins/nutrients even after being gluten free for several years. Could be why the iron pills didn't work on you. For example, I have to take a nasal B12 because I can't absorb it any other way.

You just have to keep pushing your doctor -- and I know how exhausting that is.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

So sorry you are feeling badly. I've been quite ill for several months (different issue) and I would not be this ill had my doctor taken me seriously to begin with.

I'm no expert, but I know that I don't metabolize a lot of vitamins/nutrients even after being gluten free for several years. Could be why the iron pills didn't work on you. For example, I have to take a nasal B12 because I can't absorb it any other way.

You just have to keep pushing your doctor -- and I know how exhausting that is.

The Following User Says Thank You to SOE For This Useful Post:
katiecartoon (11-09-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Katie, being gluten free doesn't guarantee you will absorb iron in oral form. You may have other food intolerances, "leaky gut syndrome" or some other reason for the iron not absorbing. Usually iron infusions take care of that to bring up your ferritin. Do you know what your hemoglobin/hematocrit are and MCV on CBC? It is possible you have iron deficiency and some other deficiency, like Vit B12 or folate making you anemic. All factors need evaluated, and it is not uncommon to have anemia for more than one reason. Vit C helps iron be absorbed from gut, so if you get your ferritin up with iron infusions, and they try to maintain you on oral iron, be sure to take Vit C along with it. Then ask also for Vit B12 and folate to be measured in serum to make sure those vitamins are adequate for red cell production. Hope you feel better soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
katiecartoon (11-09-2015),SOE (11-08-2015)
Closed Thread