It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

Biopsy positive, Blood negative

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2015, 05:11 AM   #1
Allbregra
(female)

Allbregra HB User
Biopsy positive, Blood negative

Hello,
I hope this is not a repeat question, but I have not seen a thread with my specific results. 15 years ago my bloodwork was positive for Celiac, but biopsy was negative. Over the years I have not been strictly gluten free but obviously do better on a gluten free diet. Fast forward to now, I just recently had another biopsy which is now positive for Celiac. Because I am on a gluten free (not strict, but I rarely eat it) my bloodwork is negative. My doctor said he can't officially diagnose me without bloodwork, but I thought the biopsy was the gold standard?? He did say to start a strict gluten free diet for a month and he may be able to justify the diagnosis medically if all of my other problems clear up. Does this make sense?? I admit I'm a tough one, and really prefer a diagnosis before I completely alter my life; however I do know the difference between sensitivity and Celiac are different. I guess my worries are that I eat a strict gluten free diet for a year and end up finding my stomach is still tore up and then we go back to looking for another culprit. (I have pre-cancer cells in esophagus and small intestine). Anyone else have this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Biopsy positive,Blood negative

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. He really should go by the biopsy which is much more certain than blood tests. Since he said trying going completely gluten free and maybe he could diagnose you that way, I'd say go for it. He's asking for a month? Even if you did it for a year, that's not so long if you look at the big picture. I think you should go ahead and "change your life" and try it because what's the harm? If that's not the answer, then you get to go back to eating those things again.

Welcome to the boards!

Last edited by SOE; 11-15-2015 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Welcome

Old 11-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Allbregra
(female)

Allbregra HB User
Re: Biopsy positive,Blood negative

Thank you! I have gone gluten free and do feel much better. I still have some unresolved issues, but hoping they clear up with time.

The following user gives a hug of support to Allbregra:
SOE (11-18-2015)
Reply Reply