It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

Gluten Free Diet

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
BlueAngel2015
(female)

BlueAngel2015 HB User
Smile Gluten Free Diet

Hi, I am posting this for my daughter-in-law. After a blood test by primary that came back with odd results, she was referred to a rheumatologist who did more blood tests and came back that she may or may not have Celiac's but is gluten intolerant so she has been trying to follow a Gluten free diet but the stuff is expensive and money is an issue but she's doing the best she can with it. Today she had a follow up with a Gastroeterologist and she told him about the Gluten free problem she is having and she has some sore of inflammatory arthritis. He told her it's a lot of bunk and he wouldn't follow it if he were her that there's no truth to it. Now understandable she is horribly confused and doesn't know what to do. She has various pains in her hands and ankles, she gets a lot of headaches, she has memory problems and has no energy which is hard because she has a very active almost 3 year old.

I feel so helpless to help her, she's only 28 years old, much too young for all of these problems. If anybody has any ideas on this we sure would appreciate it. Thanks for reading.

The following user gives a hug of support to BlueAngel2015:
SOE (01-18-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Gluten Free Diet

Welcome to the boards.

I'm sorry to hear she is going through this. It absolutely could be gluten intolerance -- and at this point in time they really don't know whether it's the same or worse than Celiac (from what I've read).

She doesn't have to just buy "gluten free" stuff. I know a lot of it is more expensive -- but you can learn to shop and find the best deals. But the other thing is that most "gluten free" stuff is really just packaged food - which is not really good for you anyway. If she could learn to eat real food -- whole foods, vegetables, fruits, meats, fish. There are lots and lots of recipes and meals that do not require adding flour at all. Or if you need to sometimes, there are gluten free flours out there. If you are making graving for example, you can use cornstarch instead of flour. There are casseroles and plenty of other meals to be made without gluten. Salads are good.

It's healthier to start out this way, as opposed to eating a lot of packaged food which is hard on your system.

It can also take 3 to 6 months to get gluten out of your system -- so even though she's following a clean diet, it may be awhile before she feels better. If gluten is in fact her issue.

I'm really shocked her Gastro said that. Gluten Intolerance is very much a thing and he should just be treating it the same as Celiac. Same symptoms, same damage, same treatment.

I hope this helps a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel2015 View Post
Hi, I am posting this for my daughter-in-law. After a blood test by primary that came back with odd results, she was referred to a rheumatologist who did more blood tests and came back that she may or may not have Celiac's but is gluten intolerant so she has been trying to follow a Gluten free diet but the stuff is expensive and money is an issue but she's doing the best she can with it. Today she had a follow up with a Gastroeterologist and she told him about the Gluten free problem she is having and she has some sore of inflammatory arthritis. He told her it's a lot of bunk and he wouldn't follow it if he were her that there's no truth to it. Now understandable she is horribly confused and doesn't know what to do. She has various pains in her hands and ankles, she gets a lot of headaches, she has memory problems and has no energy which is hard because she has a very active almost 3 year old.

I feel so helpless to help her, she's only 28 years old, much too young for all of these problems. If anybody has any ideas on this we sure would appreciate it. Thanks for reading.

Reply Reply