It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

• Waiting on blood test results

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-14-2017, 04:28 AM   #1
    StarChild85
    (female)

StarChild85 HB User
    Lightbulb Waiting on blood test results

Have been having Celiac symptoms for ages now. I couldn't afford to see a doctor until now. I thought I was going to get a lecture on eating more veggies and less pizza and turns out I have just about all the symptoms of Celiac.

I have a follow up appointment in less than two weeks go over the blood test results. I have a few questions about the process.

-Is the blood test definitive for Celiac?

-After adopting the gluten-free diet, how long until you stop feeling like crap and having all of the stomach issues?

-What happens if have something with gluten in it after you're gluten free? Like you eat something you don't realize has gluten in it. Do you have all of the issues all over again or does it take a lot more than one slip up to feel the wrath of gluten?

-How long does it take to adjust to a diet like this?

Thanks in advance for your input!

The following user gives a hug of support to StarChild85:
    SOE (10-15-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: Waiting on blood test results

Hi there.

Everyone is different. And everyone has different symptoms. I've read that it takes six months to get gluten out of your system. I know it seemed to take a long time before I felt better.

My symptoms of gluten are complete exhaustion and muscle fatigue. Like I can't raise my arms to wash my hair and I have to go to bed and go to sleep. The symptoms come on within four hours of being glutened. Still happens to me accidentally. Most times I have no idea how I've been glutened.

For me I did not have a problem giving up gluten because it made me so sick. I was not willing to trade. Sure, I still miss stuff and it's been seven years. The inconvenience of it all stinks. The fear of eating out which I rarely do because it's just not worth it. With the exception of a few restaurants, I don't bother.

But you'll adjust and when you start to feel better, it will feel worth it to you.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hannah1492 HB UserHannah1492 HB User
    Re: Waiting on blood test results

Some people just have gluten intolerance without celiac disease.

Since childhood I had severe abdominal pain, diarrhea and burning in my esophagus. By the time I was 11 I no longer ate Italian food or cereal, I picked up that it was bothering me. I ended up, a crazy acid blocker, tums, pepto user.

I developed autoimmune disease, my dr said 30% of her hashimoto's patients have a problem with gluten. I stopped eating grains all problems disappeared and I lost 18bs in a week - which the dr said that inflammation was going down. No grains, no problems at all.

For me the digestive issues take about 7 days to resolve. I've notice the days following glutens I'm very pale and feel hungover.

Not all glutens affect me the same way all the time. I think the fuller my stomach is it keeps the symptoms down if I eat a small amount like a cookie. Then I convince myself I could have cake, why not a burrito? Soon I'm back where I started. I find it easier to say no to most processed foods and grains.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hannah1492 For This Useful Post:
    SOE (12-16-2017)
    Reply Reply