It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

Do I Have Celiac?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2018, 05:28 AM   #1
Ukelala91
(female)

Ukelala91 HB User
Do I Have Celiac?

When I was seventeen, my new doctor ordered a blood test for me to see if I had Celiac. The blood test came back positive. This was nearly ten years ago, and I cut gluten out immediately. Two weeks later, I had my endoscopy, which came back negative: no damage to my intestines. For some reason, this was still treated as a Celiac diagnosis, even though Iíve since read that I donít think this is enough to diagnose, right? Now, my mother carries the gene (I havenít done genetic testing yet) and my cousin has full-blown Celiac. Should I be re-tested? I know this will mean undergoing a gluten challenge, but it would be nice to know if I have an autoimmune condition or not! Or do you think my diagnosis was enough?
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Do I Have Celiac?

i assume no damage because you haven't consumed gluten in 10 years. Probably if you had for a bit before the test, it would have been seen.
How far into the small intestine did the doc venture? Did he take biopsies?

Do you have copies of your blood testing?

q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
SOE (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Hi Ukelala, welcome to the Boards.

An clean endoscopy is not necessarily an indication that you don't have Celiac. The intestines are so long and the scope can only go down so far. Also, the doctor is just taking samples. It is hit or miss. He/she might have taken a clean sample that was right next to a damaged piece -- but missed the damaged pieces.

If the blood test is positive, and your mom carries the gene, it's quite likely you do have Celiac.

In addition, even if you were to do a gluten challenge right now, you are not going to be doing it long enough to damage your intestines and in all likelihood you will have another clean endoscopy.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by SOE; 03-02-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I want to add that the blood testing for celiac, Tissue Transglutaminase Antibodies (tTG-IgA), has to be done while consuming gluten. Is this something you've had done?
q

Last edited by quincy; 03-02-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Reply Reply