It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

• Celiac Disease?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2005, 03:38 AM   #61
    WOlfman67
    (male)

WOlfman67 HB User
    Re: Celiac Disease?

Can anyone explain to me some of the symptoms or reactions that a person can receive if they are gluten-intolerant? I am trying to compare my symptoms but it seems that I cannot get a straight answer from anyone.

I had a good dinner last night; white rice, slice of pizza, green beans and fresh fish. For desert I felt a little brave and ate some all-natural vanilla ice cream with just a little chocolate syrup. My stomach hasn't been bad at all. Although, my eyes are totally bloodshot when I woke up this morning. All red, burning and glazed. Is this just regular allergies? I know everything is in bloom right now in PA.
    My other concerns that I have been griping about is my weight and my hair. My hair on my head seems to grow every which way. It also looks like it has thinned and grows at an incredibly slow rate. Is this improper nourishment?
    I read that when your body is not receiving the right amount of nutrients it will sometimes grow hair on your back to keep itself warm. God, I feel crazy just talking about stupid stuff like this, but I NEVER had this happen to me before. Does Celiac disease have symptoms like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 04:10 AM   #62
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WOlfman67
    Can anyone explain to me some of the symptoms or reactions that a person can receive if they are gluten-intolerant? I am trying to compare my symptoms but it seems that I cannot get a straight answer from anyone.

I had a good dinner last night; white rice, slice of pizza, green beans and fresh fish. For desert I felt a little brave and ate some all-natural vanilla ice cream with just a little chocolate syrup. My stomach hasn't been bad at all. Although, my eyes are totally bloodshot when I woke up this morning. All red, burning and glazed. Is this just regular allergies? I know everything is in bloom right now in PA.
    My other concerns that I have been griping about is my weight and my hair. My hair on my head seems to grow every which way. It also looks like it has thinned and grows at an incredibly slow rate. Is this improper nourishment?
    I read that when your body is not receiving the right amount of nutrients it will sometimes grow hair on your back to keep itself warm. God, I feel crazy just talking about stupid stuff like this, but I NEVER had this happen to me before. Does Celiac disease have symptoms like this?

confused Wolfman,

The reason you can't get a straight answer from anyone is that most people don't have the obvious symptoms of diarrhea, bloating, fatty smelly stools that float rather than sink, and weight loss. These are the extreme symptoms. Celiac disease or gluten intolerance is the inability or impairment in digesting the gluten proteins in wheat, rye and barley. The body reacts to the presence of gluten by destroying the villi in the intestines, meaning that the person can no longer absorb certain nutrients. The specific nutrients that the person can't absorb depends on which portion of the intestine is affected -- and that is different with everyone. So, other than extreme cases, everyone's symptoms are dependent on which nutrients are not being absorbed.

I would say that "red, burning and glazed" eyes in the morning are symptoms of allergies -- pollen coming through the window or dust mites in your bedding. There's lots of info on this sort of thing in the Allergies Board.

If you're of "a certain age" as the French say, then I suspect that your changing hair is just one of those blessings that men are prone to as they enjoy more of their time on this earth -- my husband has lots less hair on his head and lots more on other parts of his body -- he's in his 50's.

--Rheanna

Old 06-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #63
    WOlfman67
    (male)

WOlfman67 HB User

Well, I don't understand how I can jump up and down in weight per day!
    Now I weigh 120 lbs. but two days ago I was 123.
    Yesterday I was tested for HIV just to be safe, and I'm in the clear! But I am finding difficulty breathing some days and my neck seems to have pressure in it. I also have bouts of depression. I am drinking protein shakes since Saturday and I am still exercising. I don't get it.

Closed Thread