It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

• Very simple quick question Re: Celiac Disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
    ssagewr85
    (male)

ssagewr85 HB User
    Very simple quick question Re: Celiac Disease

Has any here experienced a bad taste/breath in mouth after meals, and also their tongue being white towards the back?

***Longer version for anyone who is interested in hearing my case and helping educate me on this process***

Ok so for about the last 8 months I've noticed that there are times when my abdominal area feels heavy/bloated and I get bad tastes in my mouth after eating certain foods. So the thing is, around 8 months ago I started a new hobby and really became interested in beer (mind you good beer [not bud/coors/miller] is made with malted barley, whereas the mass distributers use very very little, if any at all). It did not entail drinking a lot of alcohol, I would have maybe 3-4 beers an entire week. But at this time I was very vaguely noticing a problem but not paying attention to it much. So at this time I'm getting all my health requirements satisfied before I started graduate school. A blood test comes back bad for iron (i've always had anemia) and other stuff (However turns out the test was totally messed up). So doc think i'm losing blood somewhere b/c of low blood count and so he thinks its upper GI and puts me on Protonix. So while on this I give up ALL alcohol completely- No beer But I feel great, so I think the protonix is working really well! Then after 4 weeks of that I finish, am feeling really good, and the next 3 days have 1 beer each night. For the next week, feel like crap again- abdominal discomfort, bad taste after meals. So I go back in to the doc and get more protonix. Now while on this I decide to have a beer here and there and realize the protonix isn't helping anything at all anymore. So after about 6 weeks on protonix I finally give it up. Doc and I are starting to think at this point it might be a sensitivity to alcohol. So I experiment, give up alcohol for a couple weeks, feel fine, have a beer, feel bad. Finally, I start to notice that French Fries had triggered the reaction a couple times. Then I stay off beer comletely and do fine with mixed drinks. However the other day I had a good beer, and low and behold, a couple days later here I am with the abdominal problems. The french fries, and the beer have really made me think it could be a gluten intolerance, and I just started researching it last night. So anyway, I've kept a food journal, per doc's request, and plan to get in there soon to talk to him about my new discoveries, but I really would like opinions or any info from those who have suffered from similar afflictions.

Last edited by ssagewr85; 08-27-2005 at 05:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
    Re: Very simple quick question Re: Celiac Disease

Very simple quick answer Re: Celiac Disease: If you have celiac disease, then even small amounts of gluten can trigger reactions in your body.

Longer answer: If these were fast-food french fries, they could have been cooked in the same oil that lots of other, more obvious, sources of gluten were cooked in. The salt or paprika-flavoured salt sprinkled on the fries could be laced with wheat. One anti-caking agent, to make the powdered things pour more easily even in damp environments, is wheat. I have learned to grind my own whole spices, and I avoid anything that has any seasoning on it.

Beer, as you have noticed, is made with barley malt. I've never been a beer fan, so this isn't one of the things I particularly miss, but I always say no when my DH says "here -- this is a great beer -- taste this!" And we live in Germany, where beer is a national treasure!

The elimination trials that you are doing are a very good way of seeing if you have sensitivities to certain foods. Go off them for a few weeks and then see how you react when you reintroduce them.

There are tests that your doctor can give you, but if you are going to take them, you need to take them WHILE your diet if full of these foods that give you problems. The blood tests measure antibodies, which go away after several weeks/months without gluten. Often there is a characteristic flattening of the villi (sp?) in the small intestine (good celiac websites have much more intelligent info than I can give ), which will heal after several weeks/months without gluten. This is what happened to me -- by the time I convinced a doctor to give me the tests, they showed nothing because I had eliminated gluten because it gave me severe heartburn. So I am self-diagnosed and I call this "my cool disease that I found on the internet".

There are several posters here who are convinced that wheat is a poison and shouldn't be eaten by anybody. I prefer to encourage people who have problems with gluten to avoid it, and ask questions and research on the internet for tips on how to live without it. I've seen lots of people who've lived healthy lives eating wheat till they finally died in their 80's and 90's, and I cannot believe that gluten is a poison for everybody. But it IS a poison for those with gluten intolerance or full-blown celiac disease. If gluten is a problem for you, and it sounds like you are coming to that conclusion, welcome to the club, look for other posts in other boards here (we're spread across several boards because we don't have one specifically for celiac), and feel free to ask questions.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread