It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board

• Celiac or Gluten sensitive?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
    frazzledinptc
    (female)

frazzledinptc HB User
    Celiac or Gluten sensitive?

A year and a half ago, I had testing done by Entero Labs and showed positive results for Anti-gliadin IgA and celiac genes. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about health issues, but I am simply unable to meaningfully interpret the gene results. I have posted all the results at the bottom of this post.

Three months, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started on Synthroid.

After I received the gluten tests results, I went off gluten, but in a casual way. I occasionally cheat and don't worry about cross-contamination. When I cheat too much, I get gut cramps, bumps in the skin around my hairline, and have some hair loss.

I have been telling myself that I am only gluten sensitive and it doesn't really do any harm if I eat a little gluten occasionally. It is so easy to go mostly gluten-free, and so difficult to go completely gluten-free.

Am I fooling myself? Without further tests, can I tell if I am celiac or not? I am a healthy weight, am usually constipated rather than have diarrhea, and other than the hypothyroidism, am in good health. I initially tested due to what seemed like mild IBS symptoms such as feeling bloated, gassiness, etc.

I have read every article I can find on the difference between celiac and gluten sensitivity, and the severity of symptoms seems to be the biggest factor, without having a biopsy done.

I would appreciate anyone's insight. Thanks.

Test Results:

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 12 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test
    HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0602

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing: HLA-DQB1 gene analysis reveals that you have one of the main genes that predisposes to gluten sensitivity and celiac sprue, HLA-DQB1*0201 or HLA-DQB1*0302. Each of your offspring has a 50% chance of receiving this gene from you, and at least one of your parents passed it to you. You also have a non-celiac gene predisposing to gluten sensitivity (any DQ1, DQ2 not by HLA-DQB1*0201, or DQ3 not by HLA-DQB1*0302). Having one celiac gene and one gluten sensitive gene, means that each of your parents, and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of a gluten sensitive gene. Having two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity or celiac disease may be more severe. This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by the American Red Cross - Northeast Division. It has not been cleared or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: Celiac or Gluten sensitive?

I am not qualified to respond to the test results, but I have read articles about gluten intolerance just being the beginning or related to Celiac. I don't think they know yet. But if you have negative reactions to gluten, I would just cut it out all together.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
    PoppiePalace
    (female)

PoppiePalace HB User

Wondering why you haven't spoken to a physician regarding your results instead of self diagnosis? Are you afraid of being told you have to go gluten free? Having been recently diagnosed Celiac and now gluten free, it is a daily challenge. But if it means better health, then there is no question about what I must do.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
    mountainsky
    (female)

mountainsky HB User

My experience is, Western medicine Dr's don't really get into the cause as much as they do the symptoms. Meaning, it's been my experience that most don't really know how to really treat the problem as much as just saying, you need to go gluten free. Some won't even order any tests and just medicate the symptoms.

Reply Reply