It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

Positivity and cerebral palsy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
jellytotz
(female)

jellytotz HB User
Positivity and cerebral palsy

Hi guys im feeling really down about my cerebral palsy and can be in a lot of pain. Im aick of people telling me i am negative. I want to be a happy carefree positive person but its hard. Im looking for advice on how to change and to try be a more positive person. All suggestions welcome. Thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
DCM1992
(male)

DCM1992 HB User
Re: Positivity and cerebral palsy

I can definitely relate. I have very mild CP and am very high functioning. While I count that as a blessing I think people around me often forget that I am different. I can keep up with "regular" people and do almost everything they do, even running. (short distances, probably more-so from being out of shape, but I can run)

My family and friends around me treat me no differently than anyone else. I think it is easy for them to forget that I have CP. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I am in a terrible mood, sometimes I can't explain why. Sometimes it may just be my personality. Other times I can count it up to CP.

We can't discount what it takes to live with CP everyday. It requires courage and the heart of a lion. Simple things (example in my case) such as walking a few steps require nearly twice the energy than that of a person without CP. It takes a lot to deal with CP and people without it forget that.

Personally I know much of my grouchiness comes from work-related stress and exhaustion. I work a physically demanding job. I [B]walk[B] at least 2 miles outside in all types of weather daily. Shoes last me about 3 weeks before they're falling apart if I'm lucky. That is tough for people without a disability to do. I do it with CP and it takes me to my limit. Not-to-mention my boss is a complete butt hole and 75% of my coworkers are lazy and selfish. Therefore I am picking up their slack. Sometimes I am flat-out exhausted, and when anyone is exhausted they loose motivation, they're tired and edgy. People don't understand that sometimes you're stressed out. You get physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted.

Hang in there and keep your head up. Try your best to not take your emotions out on those around you and be sure to apologise if you do. Don't be too hard on yourself when it does happen, everyone has a limit and sometimes you direct it in the wrong direction.

Last edited by DCM1992; 10-23-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Reply Reply