It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Need assisted living for son

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
    vetpedlr

vetpedlr HB User
    Question Need assisted living for son

I have been searching the web for help and found this forum, I hope someone can give me advice! My ex-wife and I have a 20 year old son who contracted viral encephalitis at 3 weeks of age and is a spastic quadraplegic in a power chair and non verbal. He has graduated from High School (mainstreamed with special ed) and is quite smart and is anxious to begin living independenly. Currently he lives with his mom and visits me on weekends (I travel during the week). Now that he is eligible for SSI and receiving benefits we have him on the wait list for 2 different facillities that offer full time care. He is able to feed himself but toileting, bathing, dressing, etc. require assistance from a caregiver. He is 5' 10" and weighs around 160 pounds and has had several surgeries on his hips etc. and most recently had a full spinal fusion due to a severe curved spine. He requires special lift equipment in and out of his chair (ceililng lift system) and is getting difficult for my ex wife to physically care for him. Our frustration after 20 years of caring is that we have to wait between 2 and 6 years for an opportunity to place him in a facillity. We live in Colorado and there is a real limited amount of information on facillities available that we might place him in that will not have him living with mentally retarded adults much older then he is. Does anyone know of a facillity for physically hadicapped adults in the Rocky Mountain region besides "Hilltop" and "Colorado Blue Sky"?

Last edited by vetpedlr; 03-21-2004 at 11:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread