It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Mild cp and absence seizures

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
    greenmom

greenmom HB User
    Mild cp and absence seizures

I am new here, and I have a couple of questions. My daughter has very mild cp, but almost a year ago she started having absence seizures. She can have as many as 20 a day, she is 5 years old. Sometimes she will have an accident immediately following these seizures. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, sunlight seems to really help her not have any seizures, anyone heard of that? Thanks so much
    greenmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User
    Re: Mild cp and absence seizures

Hello Greenmom,

you know CP IS brain damage?? Brain damage CAN cause seizures. Has your daughter ever had a MRI? If not, now would be a good time to schedule one. If you don't have a neurologist, find one. CP itself does not get worse, once it settles in. You need to find out what's causing these seizures. I was 5 when I was diagnosed as having Spastic Diplegia CP, but you would have had to be blind to miss my underdeveloped legs. I have never had a seizure, but I have fallen so many times, I am an expert! I don't hit my head too often... I'm 6'1" and I walk using two canes. I'll be 54 in June. One more thing... could you please drop the phrase "very mild CP" from your mind. If you really stop and think about it, there's no such thing. Just ask your daughter, in about ten years...

My best wishes to you and your daughter

Old 04-23-2004, 03:48 AM   #3
    eegazda

eegazda HB User

Musicmaker,

My daughter was just diagnosted with Spastic Diplegia. I'm confused because she also has arm stiffness, does not rotate her wrists and does not use her left hand as much as she should (she is 13 months and should be ambidextrious). If you know...when they say diplegia, doesn't that mean only 2 limbs? Her legs are weak in front and stiff in the ham strings.

Also, she is getting PT and will be starting OT and Speach therapy. Has anything like that helped you?

Old 04-23-2004, 07:55 AM   #4
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

Hello eegazda,

of course, I had all kinds of Ocupational and Physical thearpy from the age of 5 till I was 17... Your daughter could certainly benefit from both right now. I have some weakness in my right arm, and poorer coordination in my right hand than my left hand, but my legs are affected mostly from the knees down. My knees are stiff and straight from an operation when I was 11, and I can't really move my feet at all. I can feel them and they don't hurt, but I can't move them. I can walk using two canes. I have walked for the last 49 years... no wonder I'm tired

Diplegia means 2, and Hemiplegia means one side. CP comes in many forms, and with some other stuff along for the ride. It will take some time for your daughter to sort things out, but you can be certain that she will be a strong, loving and caring person, if you give her those skills and include her in everything you and your family do...

Last edited by musicmaker650; 04-23-2004 at 07:58 AM.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:37 AM   #5
    eegazda

eegazda HB User

Thank you! I wish my Drs. were as willing to explain things as you are. I feel so dumb in appointments when my questions are sort of brushed aside. You make sense! I guess it is hard to explain something you can't experience and since she can't speak for herself yet your insights are invaluable. My husband and I are worried that this is painful for her (physically). I'm sorry if this is too nosey but, does it hurt?

By the way, maybe stuff like this is already out there but I've read a lot of your posts and you know a lot and explain things very well. You ought to write a book from your perspective! I would read it!

Old 04-23-2004, 05:07 PM   #6
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

You and your husband are truly blessed... as my parents were. Just provide your sweet daughter with her physical needs as well as her emotional needs and give her plenty of love...

Old 04-24-2004, 12:15 AM   #7
    Strawberry1
    (female)

Strawberry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eegazda
    My daughter was just diagnosted with Spastic Diplegia. I'm confused because she also has arm stiffness, does not rotate her wrists and does not use her left hand as much as she should (she is 13 months and should be ambidextrious). If you know...when they say diplegia, doesn't that mean only 2 limbs? Her legs are weak in front and stiff in the ham strings.
    I've heard that diplegics very often have some mild problems in their upper limbs even if their legs are clearly more affected. Somebody somewhere claimed that all forms of CP except hemiplegia are basically tetraplegic (involving all four limbs).

Old 04-24-2004, 03:06 AM   #8
    eegazda

eegazda HB User

Thank you for the information! Every one who has responded has been sooo helpful! We really are blessed! I challenge any one not to fall in love with our little girl! I don't remeber who wrote it but some one posted that thier coping mechanism is getting educated about everything they possible could about CP. I totally identify. I just want to make sure I don't fail my daughter in some way through my own ignorance. I know I will make mistakes but it won't be through a lack of trying!

Old 04-24-2004, 06:23 AM   #9
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User

Hey all!

I just wanted to jump in here and say how proud I am for all these moms are doing for their kids!!!! I wish my parents had given the kind of attention to my CP as you guys are giving your kids!!!!!! You guys rock!

Absence seizures are also referred to as "petite mal seizures" and can occur in CP in up to 50% of CP cases diagnosed. Like musicmaker said being it a brain lesion seizures are not an uncommon thing to see. When most people think of seizures they think of the grand mal seizures with people all balled up and their eyes all glassed over etc etc. But a seizure can also be noted as a sudden muscle spasm with involuntary movements. In simple terms when I get overly stressed out I sometimes get my left arm in a state where it will stiffen right up and start shaking........that can be classified as a seizure. The things you can learn sometimes.

A lot of times the doctors like to use terms for CP such as diplegia and hemiplegia rather loosely. Hemiplegia if only one side is involved even though for a lot of hemiplegia cases the arm may not even be involved but because it is only on one side they use hemiplegia. Diplegia is used if both sides are involved even though there may be 3 limbs involved. I guess the point of it is to say do you have CP on one side or both.

Okay well I blabbed here for a while I should go now. Take care all of you!
    Good luck to all the moms!

Lastramy

Old 04-25-2004, 10:39 AM   #10
    Strawberry1
    (female)

Strawberry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lastramy
    Hey all!
    But a seizure can also be noted as a sudden muscle spasm with involuntary movements. In simple terms when I get overly stressed out I sometimes get my left arm in a state where it will stiffen right up and start shaking........that can be classified as a seizure. The things you can learn sometimes.
    But are those things really classified as seizures? Doesn't an epileptic seizure always involve some kind of altered consciousness? (OK, I don't know much about epilepsy.)

I've seen people, who have neither CP nor epilepsy, get those muscle spasms too, so they're not necessarily related to CP.

Old 04-25-2004, 12:47 PM   #11
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User

Strawberry,

Hey there! I actually read about it on the internet, and now it escapes me exactly where as I was looking at so many things but I could have read things wrong.

How are you these days????????

Well gotta run. Maybe I shouldn't believe everything I read huh???

Lastramy

Old 04-26-2004, 12:28 AM   #12
    Strawberry1
    (female)

Strawberry1 HB User

Quote:
    Strawberry,

Hey there! I actually read about it on the internet, and now it escapes me exactly where as I was looking at so many things but I could have read things wrong.
    Well, I did some web surfing too, and found out that there actually are certain types of seizures (simple partial, myoclonic) that do *not* necessarily involve an abnormal consciousness.

So if those shakings bother you, you should see a doctor. Do you see/hear/smell anything unusual in connection with the shaking? Have you always had them or have they started only recently? Have other people noticed them?

But in my experience, anybody can get all kinds of muscle jerks or tremblings while tired,hungry, thirsty or nervous.

Last edited by Strawberry1; 04-26-2004 at 02:56 AM.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 AM   #13
    Strawberry1
    (female)

Strawberry1 HB User

You could also discuss your symptoms with epileptic persons either in real life or on the net (of course they're no medical experts).

Have your symptoms caused any practical problems (e.g. dropping things) or dangerous situations?

Last edited by Strawberry1; 04-26-2004 at 03:28 AM.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:51 AM   #14
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User

Strawberry,

No, I am fully aware of when they will start. I most often times get this when I get upset and I feel the arm starting to tense up. Therefore I use the other arm till things calm down. It usually doesn't last long. I am very very ambidextrous (sp?). Interestingly enough my CP is on the left side and I am left handed. I could use both when I was little. It seems this little stress problem has shown itself mostly over time.
    My parents were told to have me decide which hand I was going to use as the dominant hand.

The arm spasms really aren't all that bad and don't happen very often. My arm looks very much normal except that I favor the fact of having it bent alot when I am walking. I can keep it down at my side if I am thinking about it but if I am distracted I will find that it is in that bent position.
    All very interesting as I don't remember some of these things I have now as a child.

Well gotta run..........
    Lastramy

Old 04-26-2004, 12:42 PM   #15
    Strawberry1
    (female)

Strawberry1 HB User

Quote:
    Strawberry,

No, I am fully aware of when they will start. I most often times get this when I get upset and I feel the arm starting to tense up. Therefore I use the other arm till things calm down. It usually doesn't last long.
    Can you stop those spasms in any way (e.g. by changing the position of the arm or shaking it etc.)? if they're not controllable, they may have something to do with epilepsy. I don't know.

Closed Thread