It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• What does CP feel like?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2004, 10:44 PM   #1
    darrinhpt

darrinhpt HB User
    What does CP feel like?

Just wondering what it feels like, physically to have CP.

Are your muscles painful? Do they always feel tight?

Does it hurt to stretch contracted limb muscles?

Thanks, it would be great to know to be able to better understand some of the kids I work with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
    Strawberry1
    (female)

Strawberry1 HB User
    Re: What does CP feel like?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darrinhpt
    Just wondering what it feels like, physically to have CP.

Are your muscles painful? Do they always feel tight?

Does it hurt to stretch contracted limb muscles?

Thanks, it would be great to know to be able to better understand some of the kids I work with.
    I try to give some answers, but I can only speak for myself; my spasticity is relatively mild, and it only affects my right leg and arm (upper limb more than the lower).

1) My spastic muscles are not painful but I've noticed that they fatigue more easily and if I'm for example been walking for a long time or been to the gym, my right leg may hurt a bit.
    It's impossible - or at least very difficult - to get my right side as relaxed as my left, but usually I don't notice the spasticity very much. Maybe I've adapted to it or something.

2) Stretching contracted muscles hurts, not intolerably, but anyway.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #3
    sassysweetie
    (female)

sassysweetie HB User

Stretching contracted muscles when you're a kid is painful, because you're still growing. At least that's how I've always felt. CP doesn't hurt, per se, unless you knowingly do more activity than you normally would....which not many people do. If I've been on my feet a while, they (legs and feet) start to go out on me. Even though my left leg isn't affected, because I bear most of my weight on it, it tends to go out with the right leg.

Old 07-03-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
    rienn

rienn HB User

i have quadriplegic spastic cp.. meaning it is affecting all my four limbs.. it does hard to bend my legs most of the time.. my left arm is weak so i'm depending on my right arm to do all the work but sometimes my left one helps with the small things.. The muscles didn't hurt but i do feel weak occasionally, feeling like doing nothing.. must be my body stamina..

Last edited by rienn; 07-03-2004 at 09:38 PM.

Old 07-05-2004, 07:21 PM   #5
    Flycatcher

Flycatcher HB User

I'm in much the same condition as Strawberry1 as I understand the reply, except that it's my left side that's affected. The only painful stretching that I can think of off the top of my head is when I have to rotate my left arm to be palm up (as in BP and pulse rate testing). It's not unbearable but more like it's reached it's physical limits and is being strained.
    I also walk with a much more pronounced limp when I get overly tired or near exhaustion.
    J~

Old 07-05-2004, 07:45 PM   #6
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

I had many surgical procedures done between the ages of 5 through 17. I have Spastic Hemiplegia CP, but no muscles are spastic or tense, I just can't move my right foot or bend my knees past 45 degrees. The muscles are not painful and I have full feeling in all my limbs. Since the surgeries relieved the spastisity and determined my range of motion, I have been stable and strong. I'm 54, so the joints in my toes and hands are becoming a little arthritic. I use 2 canes when I walk, and I am good with a wheelchair...

Old 07-07-2004, 04:34 PM   #7
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User

I am totally in agreement with strawberry1 and flycatcher. My CP is on the left side. I get fatigued very easy and then the limping gets worse. I am stiff in the morning and after a long day.

I have a lot of secondary issues in the hip/knee/low back that have elevated pain levels to the point of taking pain meds.

Stretching my left leg is painful everytime I stretch it. My right side does fine with stretching. I feel stretches differently on each side too.

I am very clumsy and the older I get the more falls I take. Graceful I am NOT!

My arm is stiff and painful at times. I have a nice startle reflex that irritates me too. I don't have speecch problems unless I am under severe stress.

Other than that I feel like any person out there...............

Lastramy

Old 07-08-2004, 12:06 AM   #8
    nutcase16
    Inactive

nutcase16 HB User

My symptoms sound exactly the same as yours, lastramy except my right side is more affected than my left.

Edited to add, does anyone think that the reason I am left handed is because my right side is affected? We asked the doctor and he said it's a possibility...hmm..just want to know if anyone else is in the same situation....it's probably true that I am left-handed because my right side is affected, but just want to get a consensus.

Last edited by nutcase16; 07-08-2004 at 12:09 AM.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:32 AM   #9
    Strawberry1
    (female)

Strawberry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nutcase16

Edited to add, does anyone think that the reason I am left handed is because my right side is affected?
    I think so, especially if you're the only left-handed in your family. I'm left-handed too, and my right side is affected.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:49 AM   #10
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

My right side is more affected and I'm left handed, but so is my AB father and brother. It does make sence that if you right side is weaker, you would be left handed...

Old 07-08-2004, 11:09 AM   #11
    prisc1125
    Veteran
    (female)

prisc1125 HB User

Hi
    I have mild (but stubborn) spastic diplegia CP that was just dx'd four years ago. Though both legs are somewhat affected, my R was and is far worse than my left. I had a bunch of foot surgeries in the last four yrs for spastic clubfoot (R) so I have a combo of residual stiffness from that and spasms from the spasticity. I am completely (relatively speaking!) high functioning and active otherwise.

I am pretty new to the spasticity sensations, but I can tell you that the constant spasms can hurt pretty badly. I did not respond to the meds or botox so I am winging it just by stretching and headgames. The muscles fatigue more easily and massaging the muscle can be painful because the spasticity causes it to harden or tense up. In the hips, for example, the tightness has pulled me forward and walking can become a chore. Weather definitely worsens symptoms.

As was stated in earlier posts, each person's experience with CP is so different and differing factors include severity, CP type, body parts affected, and each person's tolerance for pain. I've learned from experience and talking to others that CP is equally different and similar from one person to the next. Even though patients may share the CP diagnosis, each case is completely unique and that can be quite confusing.

Cheers,
    Prisc1125

Last edited by prisc1125; 07-08-2004 at 04:20 PM.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #12
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User

Hey all you left handers........................I am going to be the abnormal/oddball one here and tell you that I am left handed and my left side is the trouble. I am the only left handed person in the family. I reaad somewhere a long time ago about a study that was done with premature births. It seems that a premature or a traumatic birth has a very high rate for producing left handedness. I can't remember what the reasoning was behind it but it is interesting.
    I probably could have been right handed. I do almost everything right handed except write and eat. Who knows!

How about migraines?? Does anyone get them??? Mine are troublesome on the right side. Anyone else??

Lastramy

Old 07-08-2004, 04:09 PM   #13
    prisc1125
    Veteran
    (female)

prisc1125 HB User

Hi Lastramy
    I am pretty ambidextrous, actually. I write, bat, and throw with my right but open jars better and eat with my left. I had an uncle who was the same way (ambidextrous) so I am imagining it has more to do with that than the CP thing. Though I could be wrong, because I had the hand posturing as a child so I guess my body and brain adapted to accommodate that.

Prisc1125

Old 07-08-2004, 05:30 PM   #14
    Flycatcher

Flycatcher HB User

Migraines?! Yep, I get them. Use to get really bad cluster headaches as well. The migraines would last for up to three weeks, subside for a week or so and then return. These were always in the same location, on the crown of my head, just off center to the right (my left side is affected by the CP). After three years of trial and error with different meds, my doctor finally tried an anti-inflammatory called Toradol and it did the trick. I rarely get the migraines anymore but as soon as I feel one coming on I take two 10mg. pills and find a dark, quiet room to lay down in -- and I never leave home without at least a dose or two in my pill bottle. The migraines almost always go away within 20 minutes of taking the pills. Anyone else having trouble?

About that right hand/left hand dominance: I was at my best friend's house shooting darts one night and he was looking through his rule book trying to find a new game. He said "we could shoot with our off hands." I just looked at him and said "You don't like your T.V. much, do you?" For some reason he decided we should try something else.

From Lastramy:
    I am very clumsy and the older I get the more falls I take. Graceful I am NOT!

Me too, I've been walking with a cane since August of '02. I find without it I tend to be "floor bound" at unpredictable moments.

My arm is stiff and painful at times. I have a nice startle reflex that irritates me too. I don't have speecch problems unless I am under severe stress.

Yep, and wake up stiff as well. The same if I sit at a desk too long. I tend to stammer under stress and mumble when I get really tired, it drives my wife nuts... God love her!

Jack

Last edited by Flycatcher; 07-08-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Old 07-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #15
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

I wake up stiff and somewhat sore too. I found long ago that caffiene helps as well as a hot shower. My osteo-arthritis doesn't like humidity or wet cold. Dry and dry cold are the best for me... Montana has proven a good place for me. I was born In Los Angeles and I have lived throughout the West and Mid-Atlantic. The Eastern people are nice, but it never felt like home to me. I am a Western type of guy...

Closed Thread