It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Seizures, Laughing Bringing Them On

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
    cosjon

cosjon HB User
    Seizures, Laughing Bringing Them On

Hi,
    I am a 34 year old male with cerebral palsy who recently started having seizures. After all the scans, MRIs and EEGs the doctor prescribed Trileptal. Even though, the mentioned tests did not show any evidence of seizure actiivity. During the first seizure, I was out for a little less than a minute and was taken to the emergency. Now, I do not know if this is a type of seizure, but I have a lot of head pain at the very beginning of these episodes. I get very dizzy after the initial pain stops and according to what people have told me, I look a little confused. Laughing seems to really bring on the pain in my head. Does this sound like a seizure to anyone? Has anyone every experienced this problem with laughing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
    jillw

jillw HB User
    Re: Seizures, Laughing Bringing Them On

Hi,

Can you believe I just saw a story on the news in Phoenix? A toddler had the same problem & had surgery. If I can track it down, I'll post the source. Hopefully, it won't get edited out.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

So did they say what was causing it in this kid....that sounds interesting...

Old 09-27-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
    jillw

jillw HB User
    Wink Re: Seizures, Laughing Bringing Them On

I couldn't find the news story but I found the name for it. If you search "Phoenix Neurological Hospital" you'll find the source for the complete article.

What is a "Hypothalamic Hamartoma"?

Hypothalamic hamartoma is a rare benign brain tumor of the hypothalamus. A lesion in this area of the brain can interfere with the critical functions of this organ. This uncommon lesion is frequently discovered incidentally, but commonly is found in the diagnostic evaluation of precocious puberty, epilepsy, or both. Other seizure disorders associated with the lesion are frequent later in childhood and a combination of cognitive deterioration, behavioral disturbance, with intractable epilepsy is common.

What is the role of the Hypothalamus and why is it important?
    The hypothalamus is a tiny structure located in the third ventricle of the brain. The main function of the hypothalamus is homeostasis, or maintaining the body's status quo. Its role includes maintaining many of the body's basic functions such as: temperature, blood pressure, fluid and electrolyte balance and regulation of digestion. It also regulates behaviors such as: appetite, general arousal, rage, aggression and embarrassment.

Symptoms
    The epileptic syndrome begins in infancy. They present as brief and frequent gelastic (laughing) seizures which so much resemble natural laughter that parents and physicians often do not recognize that the child is experiencing a seizure, thus leading to a delay in diagnosis of epilepsy and the hypothalamic hamartoma. Psychomotor development is usually normal at this time. Later in childhood between 4-10 years of age, seizures become longer, more generalized, severe and take on less natural sounds The children can also develop multiple seizure patterns. In this stage, the child can display not only signs of aggression, precocious (early) puberty, progressive cognitive impairment , signs of autism, weight change, but poor social adjustment as well.

Causes
    Although little is known about the origin of such brain tumors, genetics are thought to be associated with the development of this tumor. Research suggests that hypothalamic hamartomas may develop during the sixth or seventh week of gestation.

Diagnosis
    The diagnosis is based on the patient's neurological symptoms as well as radiographic and neurological tests. Early detection can improve the probability of a successful treatment outcome. Patients with possible hypothalamic hamartomas should have an MRI scan, which should be thoroughly scrutinized, since the lesions are small and sometimes difficult to detect.

* Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).
    * Computerized Tomography (CT)
    * Neurological tests such as EEG monitoring
    * Neuropsychological evaluation
    * Video monitoring
    * Endocrine evaluation
    * Visual field assessment

Last edited by jillw; 09-27-2004 at 05:29 PM.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #5
    cosjon

cosjon HB User
    Smile Re: Seizures, Laughing Bringing Them On

Thank you for the information.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:09 PM   #6
    cosjon

cosjon HB User

Yes, thank you. However, I meant laughing causing the seizure. I did not mean laughing during or as a result of a seizure. Has anyone experienced or heard of the situation where laughing would cause a seizure?
    Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
    jillw

jillw HB User

Hi again,

Sorry that Phoenix article wasn't too helpful. Maybe you can contact them through their site. Try searching "BNI". I wish I could tell you the name! Keep us posted.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:31 AM   #8
    mimi5859
    (female)

mimi5859 HB User

Hi I have a daughter who is 25yr old and has cerebral palsy. She just started having seizures. The docs do not know why but she has had several when she does laugh alot and seems as though she goes into a seizure. She has had 5 during the time she was transferred which is odd..also several in her sleep she has always been transferred to hospital due to her shallow breathing..just dont know alot about all this but would like to hear from someone who experiences these..she is also a diabetic and is insulin dependant but her bl. sugars are always ok during the seizure..this is very scary. thanks for listening...Mimi

Closed Thread