It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• 3 yr. old child w/ spastic CP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
    gfabney

gfabney HB User
    Question 3 yr. old child w/ spastic CP

I am a special aide for a child with spastic cp. I wasnt really trained for this specific cond. and i feel like there is so much more i could be doing to help this child. The child is only 3 and doesnt walk or talk, although seems to be very bright. I was curious of how old others were when they started walking or talking. This child gets PT, OT, and speech therapy. I dont want to seem so impersonal when i say (this child), but want to respect their confidentiality. Any replys would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User
    Re: 3 yr. old child w/ spastic CP

Why don't you ask the parents or guardians to have the therapists contact you and give you some advice on how you could help the child more?

Old 10-30-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User

Hi

I have spastic quadriplegia CP and I don't really know how old I was when I started to talk (maybe only a little bit behind my peers), but I didn't start walking until after I was 2.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:33 AM   #4
    MichyChris

MichyChris HB User

Hello
    my name is chris, both me and michelle have cp, yet michelle also o=has other disabilties. hers effect her whole body while with mine it effects my legs only. I learned to walk when i was 3 with the use of a walker then time i was 6 i was walking with only leg braces. At the age of 10 i was able to get rid of the braces but wear supports in my shoes now. i am 29 years old now.
    Michelle on the other hand was very slow to reach any mildstones. she was not even able to sit up unsupported until 2 years old. Once in school they worked on teaching her to use her left arm to push her body along the floor as her first way to get around when she was 3. she was able to stand with help at the age of 5, and started using an gait trainner when she was 7 but never mastered it. we just started to try again within the last year to help her for keep standing. she was never able to really learn to walk for while in the gait trainer she was only able to take 5 steps before she would start to cry in pain.

so it all depends on how involed the child is with the cp. i hope this helps even alittle

chris and michy

Old 10-31-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
    Christine23
    (female)

Christine23 HB User

Do you mean walking with assistance (walkers, crutches), or walking unaided across the room? I started using crutches around 2 or 3. I was finally able to walk across the living room on my own at around 7 yrs old. CP doesn't affect my speak so I guess I kearned to talk at the regular age.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:04 PM   #6
    Malwm01
    (female)

Malwm01 HB User

Hello, I don't mind answering your questions but I agree with the second poster talk to the parents and therapists of the child and ask them your questions Cerebral Palsy is a very unique condtion and affects every afflicted person differently because no two people will have the same level brain injury in the same location, and no two people will have the same level of care, the same amount of support and treatment.

I know I wasn't speaking until about 3 but I know I was comunicating in other ways. Now I don't shut up! My CP only slightly affects my speech (and that's when I get upset or excited.)

As for the walking... I walked with a walker at 3/4, crutches from 5 to 9 and then without braces or crutches at 10. I wasn't walking long distances until I was 12/13. Now I can walk unaided for about 2/3 hours without resting before I feel awful and with a few breaks I could walk all day.

I don't walk completely normally, and I'm considerably slower then most people but I can generally get from A to B without a problem.

Last edited by Malwm01; 10-31-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:28 PM   #7
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

I have spastic diplegia CP, and I started walking using full-length leg braces, and 3-legged canes at age 5. I could crawl very well. The braces were heavier than I was, so my arms became very strong at a young age... I have no trouble with my speech. I started talking at the age of 2

Last edited by musicmaker650; 11-01-2004 at 08:30 PM.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:57 PM   #8
    gfabney

gfabney HB User
    Unhappy Re: 3 yr. old child w/ spastic CP

The child i work with doesnt have control in any part of their body except maybe one leg, and thats not consistent. Guess i really need to do some more research on CP. I feel ignorant.

Old 11-02-2004, 04:52 PM   #9
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gfabney
    The child i work with doesnt have control in any part of their body except maybe one leg, and thats not consistent. Guess i really need to do some more research on CP. I feel ignorant.
    Your child will need lots of attention and physical thearpy. Work on those areas of the childs body that he can't control and get him into water thearpy as soon as possible

Old 11-03-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
    jlbalcer
    (female)

jlbalcer HB User

My son has spastic quadripeligia. He was diagnosed at 7 months old. He began walking with assistance from adult at 4 years old. He started using a walker at 5 years old. He is now 7 and walks independantly most of the time, although he is very unsteady and falls frequently. He began talking at about 4 1/2 years old. We tried teaching him sign language but his motor difficulties made that all but impossible. As others have said, the child you work with needs to be in therapy and needs intense work to allow him to progress.

Closed Thread