It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Achilles Tendon Lengthening..for ADULT

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
    venlu
    (male)

venlu HB User
    Achilles Tendon Lengthening..for ADULT

I wonder...if anyone had done operation called achilles tendon lengthening....
    and its result.. and for people who had done this operation before..How do you like the result of this op..

I am over 20yrs old adult male walks with tip-of-toe..I've seen some articles on lengthening operation....on this board.. But I couldn't make up my mind...if I should go thru this operation..
    (most people who had done this kind of opeartion went thru this operation when they were yong...3~5yr or so..)
    Now I am asking you guys ones more time..

Does this Achilles tendon lenghtening opeartion yield (should I say..) high satisfaction? It does not make u 100% normal.. or does it? any serious side effect that u should know..(doc says operation itself isn't so difficult.....)
    People who had done this op before (and especially those who had done this surgery as an adult...) plz..help me out..

Thanks..[ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 11-20-2004 at 06:57 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2004, 09:19 AM   #2
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User
    Re: Achilles Tendon Lengthening..for ADULT

My ten year-old had the surgery right before he turned it ten. He now gets his heel on the floor and pulls his toes up about 15 degrees past level when walking. He runs and jumps spontaneously. The surgery was seven months ago. He's not needed a brace since then. He may eventually need one again as he grows, but he's been ecstatic not to have to wear a brace. The surgery has been a real blessing.
    But, of course, everyone has different results and different issues. But I would think it's worth the time and trouble for you to consult with your doctor and an orthopaedic surgeon.

Old 11-20-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

I was about 9 when I had this done. It's always easier to go though this type of surgery when you are a child, but like it was already said, consult your doctors. Their advise will be better for you...

Old 11-20-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
    Strawberry1
    (female)

Strawberry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by venlu
    I wonder...if anyone had done operation called achilles tendon lengthening....
    and its result.. and for people who had done this operation before..How do you like the result of this op..
    I had that surgery when I was 6 years old. I am 33 years old now and the results have been lasting, even if my spastic ankle is not 100% normal. I am a right-side hemi.

BTW, are both of your legs affected or just one? I have read that this surgery produces better results in hemiplegia than in other types of spastic CP.

Anyway, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Strawberry1; 11-20-2004 at 10:56 AM.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:00 PM   #5
    jillw

jillw HB User

I had it done twice, @ 8 & again at 25. It was overcorrected & caused a 90 degree dorsiflexion. For years I couldn't wear my footrests or sit on furniture w/o my heels hurting. I had the overcorrection fixed & other procedures done because my wheelchair kept breaking down & I thought surgery would make it easier to use my walker. I had four procedures done on both legs at the same time. I intended to just have my hamstrings lengthened but the surgeon said that it would only cause more pressure on my heels if I didn't have my abductors & heelcords redone, & a tendon release on my feet. I'm 36 now & I've been able to wear my footrests & I was taller for awhile. I wouldn't do it again.

Questions you should ask your surgeon & yourself before going under the knife:

What are the chances surgery will improve my walking?
    Are there additional surgeries that need to be done?
    How long will recovery take & how do I know proper therapy will be covered? (My therapy sucked, started & stopped a lot.)
    Will my family be able to care for me or will I need a care facility.
    Will my surgeon be available for discharge planning? (My surgeon's discharge instructions weren't followed. He went on vacation & his colleague released me too early.)

Old 11-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #6
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User

I haven't had the achillese lengthening, but I have heard positive things about it. Of course there are risks with any surgery. I'm going to go with everyone else and say consult your surgeon further

Jill, I was thrilled to be almost as tall as the rest of my family (5'8", 5'11", 6'1" & 6'2") after I had my tendons lengthened... I reached 5'7", but I've since shrunk to 5'5", lol!

Old 11-21-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User

I have L spastic hemiplegia and had the achilles tendon lengthening when I was 18. I am 39 now and it is still holding. It doesn't correct the problem totally, but I do have my heel on the ground much better than I used to. The only negative thing that I found is that after that surgery is when I started getting a noticable atrophy in that leg. The atrophy reached a certain point and now I am told it shouldn't get any worse, infact over the last few years with the introduction of botox I have gained some muscle mass back.

I had mine done in an outpatient setting and the recovery was good. Can't remember how long now but it wasn't bad.

A note though.........because of the decreased range of motion in that ankle, over time the ankle joint developed calcium deposts in the front area.
    When the surgery increased my range anad the heel came down, I started wearing down that squared off joint and thus had many bone spurs breaking off in front of the ankle joint. I had to have them removed in a later surgery. Something to ask about.

Hope it helps!

Lastramy

Old 11-21-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
    venlu
    (male)

venlu HB User

Thank you for helpful replys...

Ii looks like.... that this surgery certainly helps people like me...
    and need to meet doc...to talk about it..

before that happens, I have something to ask you guys. It might sound stupid... but I will ask anyway.. How u guys think..

Tendon lengthening is to make your tendon longer...

To make tendon longer...I might try to strech them with my hands or others..
    then...I wouldn't need to go under knife...

Sounds great??????? or stupid!!?

I am so scary (I heard that somepeople couldn't move...after the surery..too pessimistic?)

Old 11-22-2004, 12:16 AM   #9
    Strawberry1
    (female)

Strawberry1 HB User

Quote:
    To make tendon longer...I might try to strech them with my hands or others..
    then...I wouldn't need to go under knife...

Hmm. If the tendon is really tight and shortened, then stretching won't help a lot. Of course it always helps to some extent.

Last edited by Strawberry1; 11-22-2004 at 01:44 AM.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:26 AM   #10
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User

Yeah, I was going to say, if the contracture requires surgery stretching probably won't fix it, but it can help a bit.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:03 AM   #11
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

Tendons are made of a very tough material, but if you stretch them enough they will tear. Surgeons can put slices in them and then stretch them without tearing them. In my personal experience, my doctors didn't stretch my tendons enough Of course, when a person gets older, tendons shrink if you have CP or not...

Old 11-22-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
    Strawberry1
    (female)

Strawberry1 HB User

Quote:
    I am so scary (I heard that somepeople couldn't move...after the surery..too pessimistic?)
    If I remember right, somebody wrote on this board, that achilles tendon surgeries are nowadays done arthroscopically. That means the incisions are small, the risks are lower, the recovery period shorter.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #13
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by musicmaker650
    Of course, when a person gets older, tendons shrink if you have CP or not...
    Good, something to look forward to! I feel like I should go stretch, hahaha

Old 11-23-2004, 06:52 PM   #14
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User

From what I remember, I had my achilles tendon lengthened in an outpatient setting. I was on my stomach and I had injections put right into the ankle and the foot to numb the area. ( I think that was the worst part).

Then they made an approximate 3 inch long incision there at the achilles tendon site at the back of the ankle. The made 2 "V-cuts" into the tendon which released and gave it more stretch. I wore a cast up to my knee for several weeks, and wasn't allowed to put a lot of pressure on the leg. But I was up and around after just a few days. Really not bad at all. I took tylenol for minor pain, and used a ruler to do all the scratching when the cast dried the leg out. You have to be careful once the surgery is done, because you now have a tendon that is about half the thickness it once was.
    Scar tissue will form around the site which is no big deal, but watch out for little old ladies and shopping carts. I hate it when someone runs into the back of that ankle, even today.

Well good luck, and the stretching will be very important once that surgery is done.

Lastramy

Old 11-24-2004, 06:59 AM   #15
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User

My boy required an overnight stay in the Children's Hospital, but it was technically considered outpatient surgery. And he wore a cast for several weeks as well.

And the surgery became necessary when his tendon had tightened to a point where botox and therapy were no longer getting adequate results.

Hope that helps.

Closed Thread