It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Botox Anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2004, 10:11 PM   #1
    SupportiveMom
    (female)

SupportiveMom HB User
    Question Botox Anyone?

Hello - Who has used botox therapy for their CP? My daughter has spastic depliga (sp?) and has had ankle cord lengthening and wears AFO's she also goes to PT two to three times a week and has a PT room here at home where she does her stretches and other activities like those at PT. She is only 9 - almost 10.
    Has anyone adult or child had the BOTOX treatment and what do you think of it? Has it helped? Are there side effects? Is there any concern of future findings of it being harmful? I worry that if I have her do it - and she does NOT want to do it by the way - that later on we will find out it is harmful or something!
    Any information is welcomed!
    SupportiveMom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User
    Re: Botox Anyone?

Hi, I hope to get botox in December. I don't know much about the negative aspect of it other than the injections are very painful. Since it's an electrically guided needle I imagine that they feel similar to an EMG. I don't know if your daughter has had one of those done, but if not then I would definitely NOT reccomend it as it was the most painful experience of my life. I'll fill you in after I get the shots (IF I get them)

Old 11-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
    lillypad
    Veteran
    (female)

lillypad HB User

My son had botox for adductors when he was about that age..it worked. The intense PT in the window of opportunity helped to stregthen his muscles. They do use a topical anethesia, and it was uncomfortable, but worth it.

The doc might also consider valium, as my son's did, for the day of the procedure. There is usually more than one botox session...several months apart. It take a week or so before you see it starting to work.

It isn't a cure by any means, but it sure helped...am thinking about mentioning it again. I've know many people with cp who have had botox and no long lasting bad effects....in fact, even the good results are not as long lasting
    as I would have liked. It is so important to have a really good PT regime so the muscles can strenghten. Have you done some research on it? There is lots of info on the net. As far as her not wanting to do it...I don't blame her...the best I can suggest is to give her an idea of what the benefits would be. The discomfort for a few days may well be worth it. It's a young age to have to figure out how to compare the pros and cons of a procedure, but learning how to do so could be a valuable skill for her to begin learning.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2004, 10:18 AM   #4
    CPQUESTION

CPQUESTION HB User

Hi I had Botox injections just two weeks ago and would certainly consider them worthwhile! My muscles are relaxed when I walk now and I can walk straighter and with more confidence! Having relaxed muscles is such a big big bonus and because of this my endurance has improved and walking isn't such the huff and puff effort it used be, thank God. I had the hamstrings and gastronemius muscles done. I found after the injections that I was a bit tired and a bit weak but this went after a few days! I am 32 years old and this has really helped me. I am also having PT done. Also, children who walk on their toes can expect to achieve a more normal walking pattern heel-toe in about 2-4 weeks post injection! I do hope your daughter gets on well and wish you the best of luck. If these injections can help me then why not go for it?

God Bless,
    Kevin.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:27 AM   #5
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User

We had good results with my son whenever we used the therapy. We were persuaded that the only side effect is a bit of initial clumsiness that results from the greater flexibility in the limbs. It seems to be a very good option.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:52 PM   #6
    Pence65

Pence65 HB User

I have a 4 yr. old with Spastic Diplegia. She has had Botox 3 different times. None of them were successful. They have a hard time getting the dosage right due to her small size and therefore have never given her enough of it. To me it wasn't worth the pain of it. Hope you have better luck.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
    wildcat30
    (female)

wildcat30 HB User

hi my six year old daughter gets the injections when she was 2-4 she got then awake but now she is a sleep when she gets them and her being put to sleep is more dangerous than the injections, I was told at two she needed the core lenghting, she has never had that surgery we do therpy one time a week, only physical, night AFO and the injections as needed 3 this year, and she also is in ballet and tried basketball cordinations was difficult in basketball, so I think without prayer and finding the doctor who would try something besides surgery she would not be so dependent. yes botox is great.

Last edited by wildcat30; 01-02-2005 at 08:53 AM.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
    jimslade
    (male)

jimslade HB User

I am an adult who received botox injections for approximately three years. I experienced no pain both during and after the injections. Though I did experience benefit I decided to start ITB therapy. Previously I was taking oral baclofen (which I still take on occasion). I received the injections quarterly. My only compaint was the commencement and tapering of benefits. I only received about two months of really solid benefits. It would take about two weeks for me to experience the full benefits, and those full benefits would taper off approximately two weeks before I was due to receive the next injections.

Botox is an effective and non-invasive (compared to ITB therapy and rhizodemy) treatment. Botox delivers targeted benefits that, at least in my experience, proved better than oral baclofen.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
    sports0088
    (male)

sports0088 HB User

I am 16 and had heelcord lengthen and botox in my left arm for me botox did not work it showed little results and I decided to have surgery on my arm

Closed Thread