It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• night AFO

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2004, 05:19 AM   #1
    diparetic cp

diparetic cp HB User
    Question night AFO

Does anybody of you teens and adults wear night AFOs to stretch the calf muscles and the Achilles tendon? If so, does it help and what type of AFOs do you wear?

Thanks for any input

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 08:43 PM   #2
    NJenn
    Inactive
    (female)

NJenn HB User
    Re: night AFO

I'm getting afo's and night splints (big giant night time AFOs that will make my legs look like Frankenstein) next week. I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, does anyone have tips for sleeping comfortably in night splints?

Old 12-13-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
    sassysweetie
    (female)

sassysweetie HB User

Wore daytime AFO's for ten years until insurance denied to pay. I never had the PM ones though. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2004, 07:06 AM   #4
    diparetic cp

diparetic cp HB User

Hi, thanks for the reply NJenn. Let me know how the night AFO's work for you.
    Do you feel they give a good stretch to your muscles?

Kat, diparetic CP

Old 01-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
    wildcat30
    (female)

wildcat30 HB User

My daughter wears her AFO @ night she is only 6 years old and is really mild at present she walks and if you did not know you probaly would not, I am new to this site and hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
    NJenn
    Inactive
    (female)

NJenn HB User

Kat--

I've been wearing Ultraflex night splints for about a week, and am gradually ramping up the amount of time I wear them. Right now, I'm up to about 3 hours at a time. I feel a little bit of a stretch, but not a lot. The splint has an adjustable hinge at the ankle, to adjust the amount of dorsiflexion. My orthotist is moving very, very slowly with these, and I should be able to give you a better idea of what they are like in a few months.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:06 AM   #7
    alterdesire
    (male)

alterdesire HB User

i wore night AFO's for some time but i did not really feel any stretch to my muscles i think wearing day AFO's are much better

Last edited by alterdesire; 01-10-2005 at 03:07 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:33 AM   #8
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

I hated to wear night AFO's, they were pure torture! I had surgery to lengthen my hamstrings at age 11, and never wore AFO's after that

Old 01-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
    NJenn
    Inactive
    (female)

NJenn HB User

I had the hamstring lengthening as well, at 8. That's what got me up and walking. I was pulled out of afos at about 9, being told that I no longer needed them. Well, now I have foot problems that clearly show that I should have stayed in afos all along. At 26, the afos and night splints are what will hopefully keep me walking for a bit longer, but sometimes the back and knee pain I have when walking is just too much. Swimming makes it better, so that's what I do everyday.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #10
    musicmaker650
    Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

Hello NJenn,

the AFO's and night splints may temporarily relieve some spasticity. I have always thought that AFO's would be beneficial only during a persons "growing years." You are a brave, strong person to be dealing with all this at 26. I am 54, I'll be 55 in June, and I have NEVER regretted loosing the AFO's when I did...

Old 01-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #11
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User

I would never want to go back into AFOs, I hated those things!

NJenn, do you find that swimming helps your legs at all? I used to be a competitive swimmer, but I always dragged my legs and really just swam with my arms, especially on freestyle and backstroke... I would just get DQed for the other strokes haha

Old 01-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #12
    NJenn
    Inactive
    (female)

NJenn HB User

Well, Musicmaker I don't know if it's that I'm brave, crazy or desparate. Maybe it's a combination of all three.

Because I was never in AFOs for any extended period as a child, I have complete foot breakdown. I really related to what you said about your big toe on the other thread. My toes are doing the same thing. I went from being able to walk a mile or so after dinner every evening (with crutches) about a year ago, to barely being able to walk around the grocery store with out moderate to severe pain in my low back and feet. Using AFOs is my last-ditch attempt to keep walking relatively pain free. Right now I'm using a chair about 70% of the time, and I very much want to be at my previous functional level.

It's going to be a long road with these AFOs.... right now I'm wearing them during non weight bearing activities, and walking for very short distances (a couple of yards or so) with crutches. I can't walk unaided with them at all! Our goal is to have me walking at my previous functional level with AFOs by this time next year.... I'm very impatient, so you can imagine how hard this is for me. It's frustrating, and I'm loosing my mental resiliancy, but I'm trying to keep the big picture in mind. I never in a million years would have thought that loss of function could happen so suddenly!

Take care of yourselves!

NJenn

Old 01-20-2005, 11:19 AM   #13
    NJenn
    Inactive
    (female)

NJenn HB User

JRJellyFan,

Yes swiming does help my legs! I usually swim front crawl, and let my legs pivot at the hips with each stroke. Kind of like a fish. After I swim my usual 20 laps, I do leg work with involves kicking, walking, and scissor kicking in place until I'm fatigued. My legs feel relaxed after that. It really does help.

Closed Thread