It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Spastic Diplegia - Botox for Adults?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2000, 05:33 PM   #1
    Rafael R. S. Silva

Rafael R. S. Silva HB User
    Question Spastic Diplegia - Botox for Adults?

Hi! I know that Botox have had helped CP children to decrease his spasticity. But i don't know if Botox is elegible for adults too. I have mild/moderate Spastic Diplegia CP and think if Botox is good for my problem. I can walk whithout crutches but my legs are markedly spastic. Has someone with similar CP problems experience with Botox?
    Thanks!

------------------
    Rafael, Spastic Diplegia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2000, 09:04 PM   #2
    blackbelt
    (female)

blackbelt HB User
    I am an adult with cerebral palsy. A few months ago I questioned my orthopedist about a way to relieve chronic spasticity in my neck. He thought I may be a canidate for Botox injections, so he made a referral to another doctor. However, I did not pursue this. Luckily my pain was relieved after I began wearing an AFO because I learned to stand and sit up straight. I would try to persuade your orthopedist in giving it a try. (I had to wait about a year (and had to change orthopedists) before a doctor gave my AFO suggestion a try.) Don't give up!!!

blackbelt

Old 12-31-2000, 04:10 AM   #3
    Rafael R. S. Silva

Rafael R. S. Silva HB User
    Thumbs up

Thanks Dr. Gottlieb and Blackbelt for the advices!
    I will try to collect more informations about magnetotherapy. It's new for me!
    I don't wear orthopedical aids since i was a kid. I weared afos and a complicated device to prevent my legs to "scissor"... but i hated those things. But perhaps is time to change my mind and really consider to use some orthopedical aid again, specially because walking is becoming more difficult for me and my back pains are increasing in the last times.
    thanks again!
    and a happy new millenium to you all!
    Rafael

------------------
    Rafael, Spastic Diplegia

Closed Thread