It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Adductor release,hamstring lenghening,Achilles Tendon release

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2001, 11:22 AM   #1
    Devnic

Devnic HB User
    Exclamation Adductor release,hamstring lenghening,Achilles Tendon release

My son is 9 years old. He was able to walk unassisted (with a altered gait)and basically able to physically function "normally".. however, since he had an altered gait, he was having problems with his knees (arthritis) and he was significantly spastic in his legs. In Nov. 2000 he had adductor release, hamstring lengthening, and achilles tendon release on both legs. He was in full leg casts for 7 weeks. While he hasn't started physical therapy yet (typical of state programs-run around), my son is not out of his wheelchair yet. He cannot stand unaided, and cannot stand erect at all. Muscle spasms and twitching decreased 2 weeks after casts were removed, (we weren't warned that it would occur at all!) Also, the stitches are awful and still ooze and bleed at times.
    What have they done to my son?
    Anyone with advice, experience with these procedures, anything!
    Thank You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2001, 10:45 PM   #2
    etsur

etsur HB User
    I went over all those procedures, as a patient.
    I'm 27 year old with CP.
    I had those surgeries when I was ~3 years old (Achilles), ~12 years old (adductors, hamstrings) and 16 years old.
    I can tell you that those operation worth almost nothing without proper physical therapy. It cast a lot (it hurts very much) but in the long run, it worth it.
    As for the stitches, all I can tell you that they will not look so bad when they heal (and I had my last operation 10 years ago, so they probably mad some progress in this area).
    Your son will probably need aid walking for few weeks (wheelchair is not a good solution). Encourage you son to walk. One of the important things after those operations, in my opinion, is to learn how to walk correctly. Put you son in front of a large mirror and teach him how to walk correctly (with the hips and not with the shoulders!).
    Hop I helped you, if you have other questions mail me.

[This message has been edited by etsur (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-24-2001, 08:13 AM   #3
    RobynDB

RobynDB HB User
    I have a 5 year-old daughter that was diagnosed with spastic diplegia. She had a left adductor release when she was 2 1/2 (before the surgery she was walking with a posture control walker and her legs were beginning to scissor when she walked). When she was 3 she started walking unassisted. Now that she's had several growth spirts, her muscles are tightening up (which can happen a lot in spastic kids)she's walking one sided and on the tip toe with her left foot. I found that part of the problem with her one sidedness was that the Dr. that we had should have done both adductors at the same time not just the left side. Anyway we don't see him anymore. We went to the Shriners Hospital for children in February and I was extremely impressed(I don't know if you're familiar with them but they do everything free and have lots of experience with these kids). They are going to do her right adductor and a left gastrox recession strayer(instead of a heel cord surgery) to help her put her foot down. She will have casts for 6 weeks with a removable spica bar for three weeks (bar is to be worn only at night. The physical therapist will come to get her the day after surgery and she will be up and walking. They want her walking the entire time she is in her cast. she will be in the hospital for 2-3 days. Physical therapy is crucial to the recovery of these children. I would be afraid to have this surgery done without it. My insurance company was only pays or $1500 a year for PT so I struggle and pay for the rest. We are currently on a waiting list for Developmental Services. Once we get on with them, they will pay for all therapies and equipment needed until she reaches 18. Feel free to e-mail me with questions

Old 03-26-2001, 09:19 PM   #4
    Devnic

Devnic HB User
    First of all,Thank you for responding to my post!!

My son is doing better than he was at the time I posted last... using a walker and doing quite a bit of independant walking. He is not back to his "normal" gait yet, but I hope he will get better. He gets physical therapy once a week 45 minute sessions.. I think it is taking longer for him to recover because he was in full leg casts for seven weeks and was not put in walking casts, so he was completely immobile. His scars are aweful looking still, and the scars on the back of his legs are now bulging (I guess from the pressure of standing and walking.)and they are really tender. I hope those get better also. I am looking for creams or topical medication to apply on them to try to shrink them. (?)
    The funny thing about Shriner's is that since I initially was not satisfied with the Dr.'s or services locally and tried to get a consult with Shriner's and an you believe our local Dr. was doing the screening!!! Oh well, I did manage to find another Dr./Sugeon who did end up doing the surgery, but unfortunately his forte is DEFINETELY NOT plastic surgery (scars).
    I don't feel my son has gained anything from the surgery yet... he is in bilateral AFO's and his left ankle is still just as tight as before the surgery... go figure.
    I still pray this wasn't a mistake.

Thanks again for responding!
    Keep in Touch!!

Old 04-28-2001, 11:39 AM   #5
    snailmailqueen
    Inactive

snailmailqueen HB User
    i too had those done as a child.

Closed Thread