It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Newbie Botox Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
    Lil_Jinx
    (female)

Lil_Jinx HB User
    Newbie Botox Question

Hi there! I'm new to the message board so I thought I would first start off by telling a little bit about me. I'm a 25yo female and was born with a mild case of spastic diplegia. To all the people I know, they can't see anything wrong with me, but some still ask why I'm limping or giggle when I'm walking on my toes. Up until I was about 14 years old I walked on my toes but am now able to get the heels down with a little bit of effort (however, I still catch myself on them once in a while hehe). I have very tight calf muscles and hamstrings so it limits my flexibility and range of motion quite a bit. I often sprain my ankles and have torn my peroneous longus tendon that runs along the outside edge of the foot, as well as my achilles once.

I still don't let this stop me from playing sports and being outgoing. I have grown up playing hockey, baseball, track n field and have been weight training in the gym for the last 5 years. I plan on being a police officer and applying very soon but it requires flexibility in order to pass the physical abilities exam. I am very strong despite my 5'3", 115lb frame and am in very good shape.... the flexibility is the only thing that is holding me back. I don't want CP to get in the way of my dreams because I know I would be an excellent cop and seriously... how often are you going to have to bend down and touch your toes? haha

As a result of walking on my toes for so long, the bones in my feet were badly deformed. I had surgery to repair one foot about 5 years ago and was in a cast for about 4 months, but I still require more to correct all the damage that has been done.

I have been looking around on the 'net about injections to help loosen my tight muscles enough to gain some flexibility. I have read a bit about Botox injections but it seems they only really use those on children, so I am wondering if adults can get any injections to help with tight muscles. Any help would be appreciated.

It's very nice to see a board where I can go and not feel so alone. Thank you & nice to meet you all!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User
    Re: Newbie Botox Question

I don't know why botox therapy wouldn't work for adults and I think I've seen a few adults post here about using it. You should definitely talk to an orthopaedic surgeon or neurologist about it.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:25 AM   #3
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User
    Re: Newbie Botox Question

Jinx-

Yes, adults can get botox injections. I went through the whole process to try to get them over the last year, but unfortunately the final answer was no, as my legs were weakened too much by my hamstring legthening. I hope they work for you!

Closed Thread