It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Botox For CP? Where & How?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
    Hope25
    Veteran
    (female)

Hope25 HB User
    Botox For CP? Where & How?

Has anyone heard of Botox being used for CP? Exactly how and where is it applied? Would anyone think this could be used instead of meds? I'm only referring to sporadic use of it, not daily. Anyone heard of such thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
    bsjones
    (male)

bsjones HB User
    Re: Botox For CP? Where & How?

Hope,

Our 3yo son's ortho doctor wanted him to have botox which would be injected directly into the affected muscles (thigh, etc.) while he was unconscious (general anesthesia). It would last 3 months or so, and would allow more progress in PT. We decided to have the SDR instead. I've heard that the botox can be helpful, but is not permanent.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 03-17-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User

Hope, Botox injections are only given every couple months, so you wouldn't have to worry about anything daily. I looked into it for my hamstrings, but they are already too weak, so I would not be able to walk if I had them injected with botox. The spasticity in those muscles is actually what holds me up right now. I know, however, that they are very painful because they use an electrically guided needle. Also, the injections wear off so you have to get them redone, and while they're effective you need to do tons of PT to reap the benefits.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
    Hope25
    Veteran
    (female)

Hope25 HB User

Thanks for the help. I was more so inquiring about whether they would control facial movement, like the wrinkle in my bottom lip at times, or sudden tightness in legs due to nerves...

But I guess I might want to check out "muscle relaxers?" Anyone use these?

Old 03-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User

I've used flexeril (in combination with xanax) before, and, to be honest, I hated it. It was only for a week when I had a bad hand spasm, but it pretty much put me in a coma. I can barely remember anything from that week, lol!

Old 03-18-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User

My son received botox injections a few times in his calf and also once in his arm. We had great results. The botox acts to paralyze the muscle partially (it affects the muscle not the actual tendon), and thus reduces spasticity significantly. As a result, aggressive physical or, in the case of his arm, occupational therapy, produces much better results. After botox, his walking would be significantly improved for months. It's worth trying if your physician recommends it. The injections are painful, but the discomfort lasts only seconds and then it's over. The neurologist administered the injections.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
    kknoch
    (female)

kknoch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsjones
    Hope,

Our 3yo son's ortho doctor wanted him to have botox which would be injected directly into the affected muscles (thigh, etc.) while he was unconscious (general anesthesia). It would last 3 months or so, and would allow more progress in PT. We decided to have the SDR instead. I've heard that the botox can be helpful, but is not permanent.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    My almost 7 yr old's dr has suggested botox to weaken the muscle on one side of her foot to allow the muscle on the other side to strengthen. Do you know of any long term affects that you've experienced with your child? Also, what is SDR? Also, when you did the botox was it several times or just once? thanks.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
    diparetic cp

diparetic cp HB User

I had Botox in both adductors (inner thighs) and left gastrocnemius (calf) at 29 y/o. In my case it was not painful, it was like a normal shot, not electrically guided needle. The next day my calf was a bit numb and sore but the third day it subsided. For me Botox had zero effect but there are adults who say it helps.

My legs tighten up when I'm nervous too. I don't take any meds but you can give a try to muscle relaxers (Baclofen, e.g.).

Kat, spastic diplegic

Old 03-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #9
    Hope25
    Veteran
    (female)

Hope25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diparetic cp
    I had Botox in both adductors (inner thighs) and left gastrocnemius (calf) at 29 y/o. In my case it was not painful, it was like a normal shot, not electrically guided needle. The next day my calf was a bit numb and sore but the third day it subsided. For me Botox had zero effect but there are adults who say it helps.

My legs tighten up when I'm nervous too. I don't take any meds but you can give a try to muscle relaxers (Baclofen, e.g.).

Kat, spastic diplegic
    Can anyone suggest who I could see about those muscle relaxers? I don't have health insurance at the moment but I can afford paying for it.

I just don't want to show up on a doctor's doorstep and say, listen can you prescribe this and this? Unfortunately, the medical professionals are too into watching their own backs, and forgetting that they took a vow to heal & help. The last thing I want is a doctor to accuse me of coming to him "for drugs." Any advice?

Old 03-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
    Steffers2318
    Veteran
    (female)

Steffers2318 HB User

My neurologist gave me Baclofen

Last edited by Steffers2318; 03-28-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
    bsjones
    (male)

bsjones HB User

"My almost 7 yr old's dr has suggested botox to weaken the muscle on one side of her foot to allow the muscle on the other side to strengthen. Do you know of any long term affects that you've experienced with your child? Also, what is SDR? Also, when you did the botox was it several times or just once? thanks."

kknoch, we never did any botox, but decided to do Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR) instead, which is a surgery that "dis-connects" some of the nerves causing the spaticity. See the separate thread by that name for more info. Best wishes !!

Old 03-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #12
    kknoch
    (female)

kknoch HB User

excuse my ignorance...what exactly is the spasticity? Is that like the cramping my daughter is experience? or the muscle tightness? there's so much to learn...I feel a bit behind.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
    Steffers2318
    Veteran
    (female)

Steffers2318 HB User

"Spasticity is a condition in which certain muscles are continuously contracted. This contraction causes stiffness or tightness of the muscles and may interfere with movement, speech, and manner of walking. Spasticity is usually caused by damage to the portion of the brain or spinal cord that controls voluntary movement. It may occur in association with spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, damage to the brain because of lack of oxygen, brain trauma, severe head injury, and metabolic diseases such as adrenoleukodystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease), and phenylketonuria. Symptoms may include hypertonicity (increased muscle tone), clonus (a series of rapid muscle contractions), exaggerated deep tendon reflexes, muscle spasms, scissoring (involuntary crossing of the legs), and fixed joints. The degree of spasticity varies from mild muscle stiffness to severe, painful, and uncontrollable muscle spasms. Spasticity can interfere with rehabilitation in patients with certain disorders, and often interferes with daily activities. "

I didn't wanna tell you the wrong thing, lol! it is confusing

oh, i got that from http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/spasticity/spasticity.htm

Old 03-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
    jandd
    (female)

jandd HB User

kknoch,
    yes, spasticity is something your daughter is experiencing on her affected leg. this is why she is toe walking, having tight muscles, and her muscles cant keep up with growth of her bones (cramping).

Old 03-29-2006, 06:56 AM   #15
    kknoch
    (female)

kknoch HB User

Zagreus, you said the botox results lasted months. How old is your son? Does this mean you re-did the botox after the affects wore off or are you seeing lasting results from all the pt and botox?

Closed Thread