It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Hamstring/Heel Cord Surgery Recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
    TJZMOM
    (female)

TJZMOM HB User
    Question Hamstring/Heel Cord Surgery Recovery

My 9 year old son just had his right hamstring lengthened and his right heel cord released at the Shriner's Hospital in Kentucky and out of all the surgeries he's had this has been the worst. His surgery was on 5/31 and he was in so much pain when he woke up with muscle spasms. He had those for 2 days and then they went away until last Thursday (6/8) and now they are back. He says when he has a spasm the pain is at the top of his thigh. He has a cast from the knee down and a knee immobilizer from the thigh down. He also complains that his foot is asleep (tingling) and we can see his toes twitching. I have called the hospital numerous times but haven't been able to get much info. Has anyones else been through this and is that normal. We don't get our cast off until 6/25 and I don't know if we will make it or not. At this point I am starting to regret letting them do surgery. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User
    Re: Hamstring/Heel Cord Surgery Recovery

They may have cast him too tight. Call your orthopedic surgeon directly instead of going through the hospital. Surely someone at the surgeon's office should be concerned with getting you good information or taking a look at your son if he's that uncomfortable. Did the doc prescribe any pain medication?
    My son had the surgery at the age of ten and it has been a miracle for him. For two years now he has not needed a brace. But the first few weeks are a bear. It will be worth it in the long run.
    In the meantime, insist on getting through to the surgeon.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
    TJZMOM
    (female)

TJZMOM HB User

Zagreus - when you say the first few weeks were a bear what do you mean? I'm naturally concerned (my husband actually says I'm a worry wart) but I don't want there to be something going on that doesn't need to be going on. I would love to e-mail you directly or talk to you if possible. This is the first ortho surgery we have been through and it really helps me to talk to other moms who have dealt with the same think. Thanks so much for replying....I love this board. My grandma always said that angels show up where you least expect them and that is evident on this board everyday.

Thanks again.

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-16-2006 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
    Steffers2318
    Veteran
    (female)

Steffers2318 HB User

I would agree that the cast may be too tight--this can cause the tingling. Can you get a couple fingers into the top and bottom of the cast? If you can, it might be something else...when I had mine done, part of my one foot got red and tingly. When I went to my surgeon, he said that my nerve (a major nerve that goes over the knee, I forget the name) was changing positions. (It had been in the "wrong" place because I had been walking with my knees bent.)

As for the spasms, mine were also in the quad (top of the thigh)...this is normal, I think, for hamstring surgery.

HTH

Old 06-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
    TJZMOM
    (female)

TJZMOM HB User

I am sorry.....I wasn't thinking.....I think I am just so anxious for answers. It's very hard to see your child hurting.

Steffers - how long did your spasms last. We are at a loss on what to do for him. Our surgeon finally told us to come to the clinic at the hospital and when we did he said he didn't know why he would be having spasms in his quad because he didn't manipulate any muscles there. He's still on valium every 6 hrs and the spasms are still coming about every 2-3 hours.

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
    Steffers2318
    Veteran
    (female)

Steffers2318 HB User

The quad muscles are opposite from the hamstrings (in the same place just on different sides of the leg). When you're walking or whatever, when the hamstrings relax, the quads tighten. I dunno exactly why the quads spasm...My guess is, the brains of people with CP aren't used to the hamstrings being so loose after surgery so it tries to make up for it by tightening the opposite muscle. But, that's just a guess . Is your surgeon not very familiar with CP?

Before my surgery my doctor mentioned that spasms can be pretty bad, but that they just recently discovered that putting botox into the hamstrings during the surgery stops spasms from happening. So they did that for me and I only had spasms for 3-4 days before the Botox took effect. I guess that's not an option for you now though...just try to hang in there!

I was also told that sometimes during the surgery the sciatic nerve can be affected because they're both in the same area, and that it takes a year for that to go away. Maybe that's something to ask the doctor about?

Last edited by Steffers2318; 06-20-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
    TJZMOM
    (female)

TJZMOM HB User

Thank you so much Steffers....I will ask him.
    You would think that he is up on the current info because he works for the Shriners Hospital in Lexington and they are supposed to be tops in the field.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:22 AM   #8
    Pinkmom
    (female)

Pinkmom HB User

Thank you so much for you posting. I would love to know how your child is doing and has the pain gone away. My daughter, who is 13, is scheduled for surgery at Dupont Hospital in 3 weeks for gastroc and hamstring lengthening. We are very nervous about the surgery. We are just concerned that this surgery will make things worse. Thx!

Closed Thread