It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Driving with mild CP??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
    Spaz Girl
    (female)

Spaz Girl HB User
    Question Driving with mild CP??

In my state you get your drivers permit at age 16-that's only about a year and a half down the road and looking at all the posts about driving made me wonder. Will I be able to drive? I have a startle reflex and I tense up in emergency situations-I don't know if I could hit the brakes fast enough. I was reading some other posts that said that hand controls might be better. Would hand controls really be better for me? My actual diagnosis is mild spastic diplegia but my mom has always said that she's sure it's actually quadraplegia because it affects my arms almost as much as it affects my legs. So my question is, will I be able to drive, and if so, do you think I would need hand controls?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User
    Re: Driving with mild CP??

I have spastic quadripelgia and I drive just fine. I don't use hand controls because actually driving is harder on my arms than my legs. Most of the time I have one hand on the wheel unless I'm turning or changing lanes or something.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
    Sasha615
    (female)

Sasha615 HB User
    Re: Driving with mild CP??

I have spastic diplegia too and I want to be able to drive. I went to this place called Vocational Rehabilitation and they helped me find a driving school that teaches me how to drive a car with hand controls. My family keeps asking me "are you gonna jump when someone beeps a horn" because of my startle reflex. All I keep saying is that I hope not because I'm in college and I really need a different form of transportation besides the city bus or asking people for a ride.

Closed Thread