It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Baclofen pump problems??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
    PITA74
    (female)

PITA74 HB User
    Question Baclofen pump problems??

Hi.....
    My son is 14 has cerbral palsy (spastic quad) & had the baclofen pump put in April 2006. It is now Jan 2007, sinc Nov. 2006, he has had very altered mood swings, laughing at nothing to very violent out bursts where he actually hurts himself,anxiety(he wants me around at all time, which is very very unusual) occasional urine retention, mouth spasms,not being able to remember stuff from day to day, and several other odd changes, this behavior is definately not typical of my son. He usually is a very happy kid who does well in school, and is very social. He could not tolerate the oral baclofen, so we got the pump and its worked great til now. The neurosurgeon says the pump is fine, its working properly and he is getting the medicine. He had a clean cat scan & a typical EEG for a kid with CP. It is not hormones, none of his doctors can seam to figure it out, but do realize he has changed and is not acting normal. We have been very pleased with pump, however I am thinking about having it removed? Can anyone please let me know if you have heard of anything like this happening with the pump?? Any help or input in this matter would be greatly appreciated. This has become a very stressful situation for our family.
    Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited by PITA74; 01-08-2007 at 05:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
    route66
    (male)

route66 HB User
    Re: Baclofen pump problems??

Hi Pita,
    Wow! Those type of symptoms don't sound consistent with the baclofen pump. I am 39 and had one placed last June, and though I've mostly regretted the decision due to some drastic negative effects (overall weakness, legs jumping while sleeping, minor bowel, bladder and sexual problems, etc.), I've not experienced behavioral characteristics like you described, nor have I heard of anyone else with the pump do the same.

Our son is 13 and has major mood swings, but not some of the other symptoms you described. I just read your post to my wife who was pre-med but has done medical billing and worked with several doctors over many years and has a good knowledge of medicine and the human body. She suspects a psychotic reaction to the baclofen and recommends taking your son to a psychiatrist, because they're an MD and can merge the knowledge of medicine and psychiatry.

~66~

Last edited by route66; 01-20-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
    Jana27
    (female)

Jana27 HB User
    Re: Baclofen pump problems??

I have a friend who has a son with CP who is your son's age. He is not on baclofen, but showing some of those same behaviors. I've known him for 5 years and he has been nothing but gentle and sweet. Within the last 6 months he has began having fits of screaming and self injurous behaviors. He too has had numberous tests do rule out what is going on, and unfortunatly they can't find anything.
    I wish I had news to tell you what worked for him, but I don't.

Closed Thread