It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Has anyone tried a DAFO, or any other AFO that works for high tone/tiptoeing????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
    batty
    (female)

batty HB User
    Cool Has anyone tried a DAFO, or any other AFO that works for high tone/tiptoeing????

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone has used this type of AFO - at the moment we have tried quite a few different kinds for my son, along with the heavy boot over the top which definately gives my son the stablility to walk.

We currently have a fixed AFO that keeps his ankles at 90 degrees in a fixed position with a velcro strap that loops across his ankle, through a plastic clup and back around at the ankle pulled really tight (if it is not on tight enough because of the extremely high tone, his foot will push out of the AFO then rubbing and causing blisters on the heels.) (And I mean REALLY high tone - to the extent where we tried on 3 seperate occassions to cast his feet after botox and he managed to pull the cast off one of his feet, the other times the ankle did not stay in the correct position in the cast, even after the orthopaedic surgeon even tried to cast him!!!!)
    We have tried the hinged AFO's but that made his crouch worse and then walked on tiptoes in these anyway.

A physio at another centre has suggested a DAFO. I am not sure what this is exactly.
    Even with the fixed AFO and heavy boots we have now, he still manages to walk on his toes in his boots and this is post botox. Passive stretching works to get feet flat but as soon as the tone kicks in from him concentrating on walking, or standing etc the tiptoeing comes straight back.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User
    Re: Has anyone tried a DAFO, or any other AFO that works for high tone/tiptoeing????

My son wore a brace for a number of years (and I think it was called a dafo). It was lighter and gave him a bit more flexibility from his first brace -- which was quite a bit heavier and more rigid. It worked well for him until he had surgery at the age of nine almost ten.

If you trust your PT, go with the PT's recommendation and see if it works. Frankly, there's a lot of trial and error in this. You won't know until you try.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User
    Re: Has anyone tried a DAFO, or any other AFO that works for high tone/tiptoeing????

My son wore a brace for a number of years (and I think it was called a dafo). It was lighter and gave him a bit more flexibility from his first brace -- which was quite a bit heavier and more rigid. It worked well for him until he had surgery at the age of nine almost ten.

If you trust your PT, go with the PT's recommendation and see if it works. Frankly, there's a lot of trial and error in this. You won't know until you try.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
    klstoneking07
    (female)

klstoneking07 HB User

HI, my daughter hannah whos now 2 has been in AFO's since she was 12months old, so far they havent helped her to walk but they have helped any other things like her standing is much more supported, she is very very high toned/hemi Rside. and her feet were pointed down since birth, they have straightened then out alot more to a normal position, we have to replace them right now every 5-6 months because her age and growth but they are well worth it, everyone is different and has different outcomes though, trust the PT, they usually know best =)

Closed Thread