It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Tongue Issue Related To Choking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User
    Tongue Issue Related To Choking

I have been going to a speech therapist for about a month now due to my choking incidents, I believe she has helped me but I still have a way to go.

However, she just pointed out to me and it's something I've realized now after doing some exercises...it seems I have somewhat of a weak tongue which is causing me to choking and/or have difficulty manuvering food in my mouth. What I've just realized, which is what she pointed out, is that the back of my tongue comes up and my tongue looks like something similar to a "hill." it just goes up more in the back and this is what is causing me to choke. Meaning it allows food to pass on its own without it controlling the food. Anyone experienced or has suffered something similiar? Can this be corrected?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Black tongue due to reflux? aestrella411 Acid Reflux / GERD 2 03-03-2010 07:52 PM
    White coated tongue and it STINKS! Louise2 Dental Health 60 12-12-2009 08:22 PM
    Swollen/Fat tongue with hypo ??????? caseymay Thyroid Disorders 11 11-04-2008 10:25 AM
    Weak Tongue, Anyone? CandP Cerebral Palsy 2 06-24-2008 07:59 AM
    "Hairy Tongue" issue DFDDK Open to All Other Health Topics 3 07-12-2006 07:54 PM
    Tongue Thrust/"Resting" Tongue Posture Marylander TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 11 12-11-2005 12:13 PM
    Need Some Exercises For Tongue & Swallowing Hope25 Dysphagia 8 06-25-2005 02:26 PM
    Always worry and get severe anxiety where i think im swallowing my tongue Christine1984 Anxiety 3 10-05-2004 01:04 PM