It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Bedwetting in Children with CP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
    binthanson
    (female)

binthanson HB User
    Bedwetting in Children with CP

Hello all

I was wondering if anyone can give me any information about how common bedwetting is in children with mild CP. My 9 year old son is really struggling with it - despite the fact that I wake him up every two hours at night! We restrict fluids before bedtime, but all the "tricks" that worked with my children who do not have CP don't seem to be working with him. He is motivated. Needless to say I'm fairly tired and am looking for a different solution. He doesn't want to wear diapers and I don't blame him.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice/stories about similar experiences of how to deal with this for him?

Thanks so much on behalf of both of us...

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
    open_the_door
    (female)

open_the_door HB User
    Re: Bedwetting in Children with CP

Quote:
    Originally Posted by binthanson View Post
    Hello all

I was wondering if anyone can give me any information about how common bedwetting is in children with mild CP. My 9 year old son is really struggling with it - despite the fact that I wake him up every two hours at night! We restrict fluids before bedtime, but all the "tricks" that worked with my children who do not have CP don't seem to be working with him. He is motivated. Needless to say I'm fairly tired and am looking for a different solution. He doesn't want to wear diapers and I don't blame him.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice/stories about similar experiences of how to deal with this for him?

Thanks so much on behalf of both of us...

Karen
    Have you ever taken him to a Urologist? My son is now 3 years old, and I'm trying to potty-train him. I put him on the potty first thing in the morning when he gets up, and of late not during the day(he hates the potty). Some mornings he is successful other times not. When he isn't successful in the morning, he still wants to empty the potty. I don't think he feels when he urinates. I was told by a therapist that because of his low muscle tone in the trunk area it has probably affected his inside as well. We'll see how it goes as he gets older. If he isn't potty trained by the time he is 4 and I'm struggling with it, I'll take him to a urologist. My son is young, and I am still going by his adjusted age.

Your son is 9, so you should take him to a doctor to see what is going on. My son has cp diplegia. He is walking independently, but very slow.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
    Zagreus
    Veteran
    (male)

Zagreus HB User

Yes, take him to the doctor. There are a number of factors here. My daughter, who doesn't have CP, still wet the bed frequently at the age of 9 whereas my son, who does have CP, did not. It's not as uncommon as you might think.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
    binthanson
    (female)

binthanson HB User

Thank you so much for your replies. Yes, bedwetting runs in my family and my eldest daughter who does not have CP wet the bed until age 10. It's just that it seems even harder for my son then it does for her. My son also has low muscle tone in the trunk so it does make complete sense. Infact, he wasn't dry in the day time until he was around 5 or 6 as he still waits too long sometimes.

Thanks again.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:52 AM   #5
    angelblr2004
    (male)

angelblr2004 HB User

Let me share our experience, My daughter who is 4 &1/2 years now who is diagnosed as mild CP diplegia 2 years back, also had bedwetting issues as well apart from delayed walking milestone ( we give her liofen 10 mg, now she walks almost perfect), along with this uncontrolled urination, leakage before going to toilet etc, we tried trained her for last 2 years in night and did not help.

We consulted countries top urologist after undergoing series tests ( blood , urine, urodynamics, renal tests) doctor concluded that it is primarily due to ( CP) contraction of bladder and pressure in side bladder is high. this might damage the kidney in long run.Hence last three months we are doing manual catheterization almost five times a day ( with small tube inserted into urethra temporary) along with this we give her Tropan 5 mg XL. now there is no problem at all.

It seems this problem is common with all diplegia patient hence I strongly advise all parents to seek urologists advice. I would be really happy if this info has benefited some souls on the earths.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
    open_the_door
    (female)

open_the_door HB User

My son is now almost 4 and still not really interested in potty-training. I put him on the potty first thing in the morning, and of late, it has not been successful. I'm really not 100 percent worried about it. HE will get there when he gets there. HE is a twin, and of course twin is now potty-trained, but not at night. My older two children were completely potty-trained by 3 day and night time. This is such a whole new experience for me. When my twin that is pott-trained to the toilet(he goes by himself too), I have brother tag along so he can see and understand what brother is doing. I'm lucky to have twins, which makes it easier. When I potty-trained my older kids, I took them into the bathroom with me(my daughter) and explained what I was doing, or my husband would take our oldest son.

I will take my son to a urologist sometime this year when he sees his developmental ped. I'll let you know how things went. I know it won't be a pleasant experienc that is why I haven't been in such a hurry to do it.

Closed Thread