It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• Cold Weather

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User
    Cold Weather

How do you deal with cold weather?
    Even in my house, particularly in the mornings, I feel SO stiff. I just feel that the cold hinders my ability to walk freely. Forget about wearing skirts! I literally feel like a walking frankenstein!

Does anyone feel like this in very cold tempertures? Not even very cold...like 40s lets say...or is it more obvious in the mornings? How do you deal with this for 6 months?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
    rhales199
    (female)

rhales199 HB User
    Re: Cold Weather

Yes, my husband has problems in cold weather.

BUt as long as he's inside, he usually has no problem. We have the heater on (but turned down) during the night, then turn it up when we get up in the morning.

Now, when he's outside, that's a different story. The length of time he can be outside before he turns into an icicle depends only on how cold it is outside.
    When it is really cold, he wears a sweater, coat, and thick pants.... even then he can only be outside maybe 20 mins before his leg muscles start to freeze. So, he tries not to be outside as much as possible when it starts to get get cold (but then again, he is also sensitive to heat, so can't be outside very long in the summer, either).

For example. he's going to school right how. Currently, in the mornings, he has the paratransit bus picking him up, but comes home on the city bus, which involves 1 bus transfer.
    In the next couple of weeks, he will start having the paratransit pick him up and bring him home from school, because it will be too cold for him to wait two differnt times on the way home for a bus.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
    yankeegirl
    (female)

yankeegirl HB Useryankeegirl HB Useryankeegirl HB Useryankeegirl HB User

I am almost always cold, and almost always colder than the other people around me. It is only fall and I'm already dressed like it's winter. When winter comes I will go to bed with two sweatshirts on, or wear two layers of whatever tops in the daytime. Sitting in my room my nose and fingers are often very cold as if I were outside. I have no clue if this is a circulation problem or a lack of enough vitamins problem or what.

The CP-related part of all this is that when it is cold (or I am nervous) it is very hard for me to bend my knees. I walk even more straight-legged than normally. Therefore it is probably more likely that I could fall down.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
    Malwm01
    (female)

Malwm01 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CandP View Post
    How do you deal with cold weather?
    Even in my house, particularly in the mornings, I feel SO stiff. I just feel that the cold hinders my ability to walk freely. Forget about wearing skirts! I literally feel like a walking frankenstein!

Does anyone feel like this in very cold tempertures? Not even very cold...like 40s lets say...or is it more obvious in the mornings? How do you deal with this for 6 months?
    I hate cold weather. It makes me stiff and it causes me pain when it gets cold enough (or it's prolonged.)

I usually do a pair of long johns under slacks, and at least 2 shirts of some kind from Oct-Mar. I also invested in LOTS of knee socks from Target as a third layer for my legs.

As for being inside, I don't like hot air (it's yuck to breathe) so I actually keep the house pretty cool at 64-68. I keep a throw on the couch and I use 2-3 blankets on my bed.

In the mornings I go straight from bed into the hot shower, I wrap up in my robe and I dry my hair completely (which, with my hair it takes about 45 minutes) before I leave the bathroom to keep the heat in from the shower. In my last apt there was a separate heater for the bathroom and I could crank that up but I don't know what I will do as I don't have that in the new place.

Closed Thread