It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board

• need suggestions on my spastic diplegic toddler

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
    ritu845
    (female)

ritu845 HB User
    need suggestions on my spastic diplegic toddler

hi..i have a daughter who will turn 3 very soon. she was 6 wks premature and is diagnosed with spastic diplegia- moderate. she is on therapy for past one and a half year. At present, she is sitting independently, crawling, stand independently for a minute or so, walks with a walker. She is very verbal and quite intelligent for her age. I have the following questions for any mom who has been through similar stages:
    1. she just does not learn to cruise the furniture and cannot understand side stepping.
    2. Also, I am worried about the slight crouch I have started seeing in her standing posture when she stands. How should I correct it.
    3. while standing holding on with one hand, she does not fix her feet well and after a few minutes, they shift making her lose her balance and twist on the arm. Any suggestions to help fixing the feet.
    She wears DAFO's. Any help/ suggestions from other mums on board will be sooo appreciated. please respond. my worries are killing me.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-12-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
    Ashmans
    (female)

Ashmans HB User
    Re: need suggestions on my spastic diplegic toddler

I have no advice, but I am interested in what you hear from others.I have a 17 month old that seems like he may be close to your daughters.... severity in his diagnosis. He's barely starting to crawl. I'm excited to see what next for him realistically. He has a twin who is going wild.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
    TrulyEnchanting
    (female)

TrulyEnchanting HB User
    Re: need suggestions on my spastic diplegic toddler

I am 32 years old have Spastic Diplegia. What she is doing is normal. She has no control over her muscles. The brain is causing all her tightness. She going to do things differently, that is to be expected. Getting up, standing up will be different for her, she has to adjust her weight just to do things. It all about balance. Let her be curious and do things and try things on her own, so she be independent.

I will say this if she walking and didn't need an operation, she's lucky. At the age of 5 I had to an abductor release, because my legs were crossing over and joints were coming out of their ball and sock it. At 11 I had a selective dorsal rhizotomy. To loosen up my muscles and stop shakes. Depending how bad she is you might want to look into it.

If you are concern never be afaird to go to the doctors.

About her feet. They are the way they are. Fixing them to do what you want them to do is nearly impossible, because she has no control over them. Because a part of her brain is damaged. You might have to go see a doctor about correcting it or something, if there is anything out there.

Last edited by TrulyEnchanting; 12-23-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Reply Reply