It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children - Special Needs Message Board

• Is my child on autism spectrum?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
    2outof3
    (female)

2outof3 HB User
    Is my child on autism spectrum?

Hi all, sorry this may be long. My daughter is nearly 11, she has always been quirkybut over the last few years I've wondered if there's more to it. A couple of years ago she started displaying tics, vocal and motor, at one point they were significant then only mild. Now virtually gone. She has a lot of strange behaviours I will list here. If anyone could help me with what it all means I would be very grateful.
    She has echolalia. Repeating phrases from t.v and people.
    She has no real self awareness.
    No real emotional attachments besides me.
    Gets frustrated quickly if she can't be understood or doesn't understand ie. if I'm helping her with homework.
    She won't wear buttons, not that she doesn't like them but 'someone might see me wearing them'
    Goes mad and has to leave the room if someone is chewing food loudly
    I won't say obsessed but food/sweets mad. Associates a lot of times with food. Eg. Oh, I remember her, she had a jam sandwich.
    Comes home from school and sometimes just shouts out random phrase or noise as if she's been holding it in
    Doesn't get sarcasm or detailed jokes, but fine with knock knock.
    Asks pointless random questions
    Very immature, doesn't see to have changed since at least 8, can't really remember before that.
    She has been like this def a few years, maybe longer but because of age it's not really been noticeable or a worry.
    She goes to comp in sept. and I'm worried that as her peers progress she will stay where she is.
    Academically she is fine average or above. She has friends. Socially seems fine apart from saying random things occasionally. School has no concerns. She definitely acts differently around family etc. but in school is contained.
    I have asked for a referral from docs, but if it comes back no, do I fight for her or hope she grows out of it?
    If anyone has any idea what could be wrong I would love to hear what you think.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
    FloridaMommyof3
    (female)

FloridaMommyof3 HB User
    Re: Is my child on autism spectrum?

I have a 10 year old with autism and a 12 year old with asperger's, and in your description I would say she has several characteristics of asperger's. If she is functioning ok and has no behavioral concerns, chances are she will be just fine. Heck, Bill Gates has aspergers!!

What I would do is find a good developmental pediatrician or a neurologist and ask for a comprehensive evaluation.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
    2outof3
    (female)

2outof3 HB User

Hi Florida, she is functioning fine and doing well at school. If you met her you wouldn't think she had any of the problems I've described. Apparently girls are much better at hiding their traits. My major concern is her peers will start to notice she is different as they all mature as she seems stuck at about age 8! I just think if I have some help in place in case she struggles, that's all I can do for now.
    Thanks for your reply, I think from all the responses I've had from here and other forums, it sounds like she may have aspergers, as one mum said of her daughter 'lightly touched with aspergers'
    You must have your hands full!
    Emma x

Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
    golfhat
    Veteran
    (female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

A lot of these quirky behaviors can be put down to Sensory Integration Disorder or Dysfunction.

Sometimes this condition is misdiagnosed as autism and vice versa since sensory issues can be part of autism. Have her hearing checked too. There can be special problems associated with the nerves of the ears that are more with processing sound rather than level of sound heard.

With sensory issues, whatever is bothering the child, like noise, chewing, buttons, the feel of certain fabrics or food...have to be dealt with in a special way!

A sensory person must learn to deal with it thru desensitization therapy. And once that is done that particular problem should go away.

My GS has sensory issues and used to be annoyed at loud sounds. He also did not want to hold his bottle or sippy cup because the feel of smooth things bothered him. Probably because he felt like he would drop it. But cardboard juice boxes were fine!

he has always been in some kind of therapy or gym class until age 5. At that time, he started kindergarten and that was a form of therapy for him. He is now is regular grade and is well liked but he is still a little shy. He is ten now. There are doctors who specialize in sensory issues, do a search for your area and you will find someone.

My gs is very deficient in the B vitamins and must have the Bs twice a day. He cannot store them in his liver. This can lead to a lot of problems.

YOUr child could benefit from therapy to address the repetetive behaviors and some of the other things which will set her apart from her peers.
    Like the buttons issue and such. Can't remember everything you wrote.

Again, growing older and being with "typical" children is so helpful. By the time she is 18 you will think she is merely quirky I'll bet.

Last edited by golfhat; 07-08-2012 at 02:27 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to golfhat For This Useful Post:
    2outof3 (07-08-2012)
    Old 07-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
    2outof3
    (female)

2outof3 HB User

Thanks golf hat, it's certainly worth looking at all angles. The only thing I would say though is she doesn't dislike buttons as such in her words "someone might see me wearing them". Also, apart from not liking other people chewing loudly I can't think of any other sensory issues, but, she has had hearing problems in the past due to many ear infections when she was very young so I'll google sensory issues and see if it rings any bells. Thanks again for your reply.

Closed Thread