It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children - Special Needs Message Board

6 year old behavioral problems.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
heather03
(female)

heather03 HB User
6 year old behavioral problems.

Hi, i am writing because i really need to know if anyone out there is like me or have an opinion to what they think is going on with my 6 year old daughter. My little girl was born with some delays and i noticed she was hyper since birth,but i thought that was normal. She had early intervention since 6 months old to age 3. Then had to go to headstart and pre k because she still had some problems with speech and occupational. Her behavior actually started to be a problem in head start/ pre k, but nobody had told me. I had to find out from a parent on ********. They had told me that my daughter threw a block at there child and their child had gotten staples in her head. I was so upset because i couldn't believe she had done that. Next day i called the school and asked why i wasn't told and i really didn't get a good answer only that they didnt' see it. I really didn't know what to do, but kept apologizing to the parent. Then i got a write up about her pulling a childs hair out in school. (this is age 3/4 let me remind you). They really didn't have consequences there so she didn't learn it was bad. I really didn't know how to explain to a 4 year old it was bad either. So a year later, still in pre/k and i get a call from her speech therapist that my daughter is afraid to go in the room with her and close the door. she keeps screaming and she said that was a sign of sexual abuse. She said, she wasn't gonna turn it in because she said that it could be other problems too. So she shrugged it off. Then like there was another time that she said, "I had sex with my teacher in the bathroom". I didn't really think nothing of it because who sais that. She never said it again after that though. So kindergarten had started and i told the district i do not think regular school would be good for her. They didn't listen. So she went to kindergarten. That year was horrible. Bus write ups about maybe once a month. Calls to cps from the bus and school due to her talking sexual to boys, and she is 5. All were unfounded though. Thank god. She pokes kids with pencils that year, and at the end of the year the special education teacher called and told me that she feared for people that lived with her and that she definitely needed to see a psychiatrist. Thing is, i got her in, but where we live the psychiatrist wouldn't see a 5/6 year old. Had to be 8. So was sent to a counsler. over the summer she was really not that bad at all. School started this year. In first grade even though she does not know how to write only her name. She does not know letters or number on paper only if she sais them and she does not know how to read. So since school started till now, She has been having bad days daily in school and bad days daily on the bus. I am litterally stressed out over this and my hair is actually falling out and i am seeing a mental health worker because it just seems to hard to handle and i am a single mother of 3. So finally my daughters mental health worker suggested seing if she had adhd or add so the school and i did this chart thing. The school psychologist did a behavioral assessment and they sent it back and it showed my daughter had about 7 or 8 things clinically wrong with her. So i finally got her to go see a psychiatrist this month. I really hope they can help me. Before Christmas break she was in the principals office for being out of control and smacking teachers. Christmas break was sick with strep and 102 fevers and still hyper as can be and didn't even seem like she was sick. She hit her aunt really hard in the head with a barbie, she shut the door in my other daughters face, she is swearing terribly, her mind is set on sexual stuff and i must remind you that i am a single mother, she doesn't learn it from me. Mental health thinks its learned behavior, but a lot of it isnt'. like one time we were there and the session did not go well and we had to leave and my daughter litterally wanted to break the outside window and just out of control. they have me doing behavioral charts with her, rewards, and seriously rewards dont' fase her. She's not fully potty trained. Seems like forever to do this. She does well not peeing her pants during the day, its at night. docs said that normal, but she just won't stop pooping her pants. like back in august to 3 days ago, she did not poop her pants. Just started up again. I am just hoping its because she is on antibiotics for the strep. I really need Help and so don't she. She is on Zoloft for depression about 3 weeks already. Don't see any difference yet only she acts worse. ;(

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
kinikki
(female)

kinikki HB User
Re: 6 year old behavioral problems.

Im sorry for what you are going thru, I can sympathize. My son will be 5 in aug and since he was a small child he has been aggressive with peers and us. He is so aggressive and violent with other kids at times, that I have had to avoid places with children when we go thru "rough patches". He has done this at school and we have taken him to a psychologist and most recently a psychiatrist who diagnosed him as bipolar... we are heartbroken but not surprised..there is a family history and when I had looked into childhood onset bipolar he has almost every symptom. They started him on risperidone and we are hoping things will improve. You may also want to look into bipolar, I am not an expert but I did notice that interest with sexuality is one symptom in kids and so is aggression. Good luck to you, I hope that you find answers and treatment for her soon. PS we also use rewards and consequences and although it is helpful, most times my son seems as if he cannot control his actions. It is so frustrating when people assume that your parenting is to blame, if I had a dollar for everyone who made a snide remark to me at the store Id be rich.

Last edited by kinikki; 07-27-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Closed Thread