It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children - Special Needs Message Board

8 y/o with ADHD and Aspergers

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
poweredbyplants
(female)

poweredbyplants HB User
8 y/o with ADHD and Aspergers

Hi everyone, I am new here and would love some advice if anyone can offer it! PLEASE, be kind! I'm at a loss as to what to do to help my daughter who has ADHD and Asperger's. A little background. She is 8 years old and just finished 2nd grade. She's very smart but also immature (she seems to get along best with kids who are a year or two younger than her). She has always been in the gen ed classroom but after all the problems she had the second half of this past school year, I don't know if that's the best thing for her. I love her school and the staff is amazing, BTW. Kindergarten was rough, lots of problems and meltdowns, but after she was diagnosed and we got the IEP in place things started getting better. First grade was a good year, and I thought things would continue to improve. Unfortunately, lately they have been getting worse.

She has started having more and more problems in the last 6 months or so. Her meltdowns mostly happen at school, and it's almost always over things that seem incredibly insignificant. We have tried so many things to help her control her emotions. There were two kids in her class who she did not get along with, and she has hit, kicked, spit on, and called them horrible names...all of which got her suspended (FIVE TIMES). For the record, she is usually very sweet! But she gets mad super easily and is very impulsive, which no medication has seemed to help with (currently taking Focalin XR).

She HATES being touched, although she does love giving hugs. She usually yells "OUCH" if someone touches her (although sometimes she doesn't seem to mind, which I don't get). But this makes it difficult for her to do certain things like participate in sports. She's in soccer right now and I'm thinking about pulling her out because it's been so difficult. Aside from the touching, she feels like she doesn't help her team and that she can't run fast or kick the ball right. She always fixates on the negative things and can't seem to get past them even though I'm encouraging and tell her she's doing great. I also think she gets sensory overload at soccer practice/games.

Another issue is that she constantly argues and talks back, and she just doesn't get why she can't do that. It's like she physically can't keep quiet if she's thinking/feeling something...she always has to say what's on her mind, which gets her in trouble. She also doesn't like it when people say certain things (normal things that people sometimes say) and tries to tell them not to say it. I feel like I'm always correcting her and that is very frustrating for both of us.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I know a lot of this is normal, like the meltdowns and the sensitivity to touch. And a lot of the time she seems perfectly normal and no one would know she has ASD or ADHD (I don't make a point of telling people she has special needs). I've started taking her to see a child psychiatrist and right now he's working on getting her medication right. It's a slow process. I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to help her, especially before school starts back up in August. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!!!!

Last edited by poweredbyplants; 05-31-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
adhd, asperger's, aspergers