It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Advice on State "Early Start/Intervention" Program

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2016, 12:06 AM   #1
    blonsky4884
    (female)

blonsky4884 HB User
    Advice on State "Early Start/Intervention" Program

Hi Parents, I am hoping to get some advice and guidance.

Our son is 20 months old and we are currently getting him evaluated for developmental delays. Originally our pedatritan referred us to Rady's Children's Hopsital in San Diego, CA. He has currently undergone a hearing screening (everything was normal) and a speech evaluation. He was diagnosed with a "severe/moderate" speech delay (currently non-verbal) and was recommended to undergo speech thearpy twice a week as well as see an OT. The wait list for both of these services is over 5 months. We were also waiting on a developmental assessment which is a 3 month wait list (as he is showing several signs of autism). This basically means that if we continue our care with Rady's our son would not start any actual therapies until he is over 2 yrs old.

In the meantime I have been doing a ton of research on alternative options. I have contacted our states "early start" program, we live in California. I have spoken to a case worker who was able to set up an appointment for our son to be evaluated in two weeks time. Also, I was assured that if he qualifies we would receive state funding that would essentially pay for all his therapies and could start thearpy two weeks after he is qualified.

I am reaching out to see if anyone has used this program? What was your experience like? Did your child receive the same level of treatments going thru a hospital or another organization? Would you recommend this route or have any other suggestions?

Any concerns to be aware of or advice you can shoot my way would be MUCH appreciated. This program almost seems to good to be true, and I am shocked my doctor didn't recommend this route in the first place rather than referring us to Rady's; as the waitlists are extremely long and the care would be out of pocket rather than covered/subsidized by the state.

Not sure if it's just me, but I find navigating the system to be very confusing and extremely overwhelming. Just looking to get our son the best help out there in a timely manner; figured reaching out to fellow parents would be our best bet to get honest feedback.

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by blonsky4884; 09-16-2016 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    autism, developmental disability, speech therapy