It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

Holding breath/tensing in car seat

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
MPA26
(female)

MPA26 HB User
Holding breath/tensing in car seat

For the past few months my 2 year old daughter has been doing this thing where she scoots down in her car seat and pushes her pelvis as hard as she can into the buckle. She holds her breath when she does it and turns purple. She is sweating so bad by the time we get to where we are going that her hair is soaked. The car seat is the only place she does this. Nothing I do makes her stop. Even if I yell and threaten her she just stares at me but won't let up. She will often complain after that her private area hurts afterwards. I'm afraid that she is going to end up really hurting herself bad. I've never seen a kid do this before. Does anyone have any advice? I don't know what to do and I am beyond frustrated.

Last edited by MPA26; 01-15-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: Holding breath/tensing in car seat

Of course I could be totally wrong but I wonder if it actually feels arousing to your daughter, initially, and that's why she does it. I certainly understand your frustration.
Honestly, the only thing I can think of is that since it's wintertime, I would have her wear snow pants when we go in the car. IF I am correct, maybe it will cut down on the arousal factor and the desire to do it.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
MPA26
(female)

MPA26 HB User

I have heard of that as a possibility, but since she is complaining of pain after I dont know. We live in Florida and its 80 degrees outside even this time of year so unfortunately snow pants arent an option. I dont think I've ever even seen those in the stores around here lol. I'm trying different things to change the behavior so well see how it goes. Thanks for the response.

The following user gives a hug of support to MPA26:
sweetpotato13 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato13 View Post
Of course I could be totally wrong but I wonder if it actually feels arousing to your daughter, initially, and that's why she does it. I certainly understand your frustration.
Honestly, the only thing I can think of is that since it's wintertime, I would have her wear snow pants when we go in the car. IF I am correct, maybe it will cut down on the arousal factor and the desire to do it.

This was my first thought as well. Perhaps ask her pediatrician?

Old 01-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
MPA26
(female)

MPA26 HB User

I did ask. She said it was normal but didn't really go into anymore detail other than that. She said to try distracting her so she stops doing it but that she should grow out of it eventually. I still don't like it. It's very unsettling to look behind me and my kid be purple.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

I don't like that either....
Can you offer her something (yeah, bribe her, LOL) if she doesn't do it? Like, say to her,
"I don't want you to hurt your (whatever you call her vagina) with your car seat today.
If you don't do that, we can.... and maybe offer her something as incentive?

Reply Reply