It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

2 Year old with Multiple Episodes of Pneumonia in the Past 4 Months

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
ricull4
(male)

ricull4 HB User
2 Year old with Multiple Episodes of Pneumonia in the Past 4 Months

My 2 Year old grandson has had 3 episodes of Pneumonia in the past 4 months or so.
First, time he was in urgent care 2 times and was first recommended to use a humidifier. It didn't work, so I had phone consultation and informed to bring him in if he had a high temperature. He didn't, so we continued with humidifier and Tylenol for the slight fever. During this time he was vomiting due to phlegms. So, the next day we took him to urgent care again and this time the doctor requested a chest x-ray which confirmed pneumonia. The doctor put him on antibiotics ( Amoxicillin). The medication seemed to have worked for about 2 weeks and then he had second episode. This time he was given a different medication and it just seemed to stabilize him for a few days and he wound up in the ER and admitted over night, and discharged with antibiotics. He seemed to have recovered after about a week, until this past weekend. He visited me and began to show the same symptoms, vomiting due to phlegms, and slight wheezing with no fever. I called my son and told him to call his pediatrician or take him to urgent care. However when he got back home he showed no symptoms.
Both parents have been diagnosed with Asthma, Allergies and GERD. My grandson has not been diagnosed with anything at this point. The doctors ( Kiaser) don't seemed concerned with him being prescribed 3 antibiotics in the last 4 months and the multiple episodes.
My question is do you believe elevation plays a part since he seems to get sick when he is at my house or undiagnosed Asthma? I live in the High Desert with an elevation of 2700 ft and the elevation where he lives is 744 ft.

Last edited by ricull4; 03-06-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: 2 Year old with Multiple Episodes of Pneumonia in the Past 4 Months

Hi ricull4,

Before I had even gotten to the part of your post that said both parents have asthma my thought was Asthma. It wouldn't hurt for the pediatrician to try your grandson on asthma medication dispensed by a Nebulizer. If improvement is seen while using the nebulizer asthma is a strong possibility.

My daughter started using a nebulizer when she was about 18 months and not long after that was diagnosed with Asthma. Her asthma flared up mostly when she got sick and would flare up before she even had signs of whatever she had.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy61 For This Useful Post:
ricull4 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
ricull4
(male)

ricull4 HB User
Re: 2 Year old with Multiple Episodes of Pneumonia in the Past 4 Months

Yes, thank you. I will have them contact his pediatrician to inquire about Nebulizer. So, yesterday after being back home in the San Fernando Valley (Elevation 744 ft ), he is back to normal with no symptoms (i.e. wheezing, coughing).

Thanks again Snoopy61

Reply Reply