It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

Child with possible OCD confessions

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Rosie2032
(female)

Rosie2032 HB User
Child with possible OCD confessions

Hi,

We are working on getting our 6 year old tested for OCD (and then hopefully therapy if necessary). We have slowly come to suspect that some of his "quirks" are OCD related and a new manifestation of this seems to be that he is compelled to confess his "bad" behavior. The "bad" behavior is not even things that we would think twice about - simple things like "I brushed against the dresser" or "I forgot to cover my mouth when I coughed" or "Excuse me, I burped". The statements seem to require a response and he gets frantic if we don't respond at all. And if he is separated from one of us, the statements often come out in a rapid fire format the instant he is back in our presence.

We have tried the following responses and none of them seem to be helping the root of the problem:

-Ignoring (he just gets frantic)
-Saying "ok" or "ah" or some non-committal response (it does resolve the one confession, but he just moves to the next confession next time)
-Reminding him that he can think the thoughts without saying them (he's not good at that with any thoughts, so this situation is not much different)
-Distracting with another topic (he just re-directs and asks if we didn't hear him the first time)
-Offering some sort of reward for not saying them (probably not the brightest choice, but we were going crazy with all the confessions - and it didn't work anyhow)
-Asking him to determine if what he has done is "ok" (for example, he says "I scratched my toe, ok, mommy?" and I say, "Is it?" or "What do you think?" And he either doesn't answer or says "it's ok" - this is my most recent attempt at challenging him to think about whether the act is really "bad" or not)

We have noticed that the busier he is with an actual activity, the less often it happens, but there are lots of times in the day, such as meals, bath time, bedtime and riding in the car that we can't truly have him be busy and those are the times it happens most often. Even with music playing, conversations, etc, he still seems to be compelled to do this.

Hopefully with the testing and results we will get a concrete answer, but until then (which could be months), does anyone have any suggestions? How can we respond to minimize it, or minimize the frequency, or urgency?

Is there anyone who suffered with this as a child and found ways to control it? And is it even possible to control for an immature 6 yr old who doesn't even really understand what he is doing and why it is frustrating?

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer!

Last edited by Rosie2032; 04-02-2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Edited to add details

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
child, confession, ocd