It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Child is constantly getting sick, has so far missed half the year of kindergarten

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
    pattycakesrich
    (female)

pattycakesrich HB User
    Unhappy Child is constantly getting sick, has so far missed half the year of kindergarten

My nearly 5 year old son is struggling to meet a full week of kindergarten. He is CONTINUALLY getting viruses, in most cases back to back. We are half way into the year and have had a minimum of 10 different bugs.

His background is this, he was born normally, at 39 weeks, and picked up the flu from his older brothers within hours of birth. Ended up being hospitalised for a week with that, and constipation issues.
    He picked up plenty of viruses from his siblings who bought viruses home from school, but the siblings never struggled as badly has he has.

He seems overly susceptible to Gastroenteritis. I can not believe how often he is getting sick with it. And it isnt; just a one or two day thing, its the full 14 day ordeal. We've had 30 gastro filled days in the space of 6 months.

I'm very tired of people pointing how how sick my son is all the time, and I even get asked if I breastfed because that would still be protecting him. (I did). I feel guilty and responsible .

I have asked the paediatrician he sees as he has other issues (ADHD, SPD, anxiety) and he essentially laughed it off and just said that its normal for kids to get up to 12 viruses a year, and that he wasn't concerned because while hes small, hes not too far underweight, has good muscle tone etc.

He eats a fairly balanced diet, not any worse than any other kid his age. He loves fruit , vegetables are trickier but we are doing the best we can.
    We use kids multivitamins, probiotics and have a decent handwashing regime. He gets plenty of excerise as it helps with ADHD symptoms .
    It's getting beyond a joke and I just wish someone would take me seriously

What can I do to help this!! At this rate his kindergarten are looking at a repeat year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Child is constantly getting sick, has so far missed half the year of kindergarten

Dear pattycakesrich,

Some people are just more prone to catching every thing.

Ask your pediatrician what you need to do to help him be healthier and build his immune system. There are common things to do but we cannot protect them from everything. The older children can be taught not to touch his things, and to cover their mouths when they cough, wash their hands often, not drink out of the same cups, etc.

Gastroenteritis is extremely common. You just don't hear how many others get it.

Never mind the stupid remarks that some people make. If we really listen we can hear people saying opposite things and believing old tales that no one can prove.

Multivitamins in my opinion don't contain enough food value to be wasting money on. Rather feed him a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables (avoid juice if you can as it has too much sugar), protein and calcium rich foods. Kids enjoy dipping in sauces.

That said, I think it not a big deal if he repeats kindergarten. Kids do not mature at the same age. One of my children was not ready so we skipped kindergarten and next year he went into first grade much more ready to socialize and learn. By the 11th grade he tested at first year college and the high school said he may as well go to college as they had nothing to offer him. He tried it and didn't like college as it had so much repetition of high school material so he started his own thriving business. He is a genius and entrepreneur, taking care of himself and is marching to the beat of his own drum.

Your child is just being a child. You know what he needs and you give it to him the best of your capacity. When people comment, just smile and tell them he is a budding entrepreneur. Don't let opinions get you down. Everyone has one.

Reply Reply