It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 20 month old toddler spitting up

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
    Shadowcat129
    (female)

Shadowcat129 HB User
    20 month old toddler spitting up

My 20-month-old daughter regularly has food come back up into her mouth, sometimes hours after eating. She never seems bothered by this like it is painful, only surprised that food is in her mouth again. She does not have the typical signs of GER/GERD. It's not violent spitting up, like vomiting. She has a voracious appetite and will eat practically anything you give her. She has always trended small but does not have problems gaining or sustaining weight. She sleeps well through the night.

I have tried different types of non-dairy milks to rule out a milk sensitivity, but they never seemed to work out for her tummy. I doubt this is related to a dairy issue because she also does not show signs of an allergy, lactose intolerance, or sensitivity (other than the spitting up).

Everything I've read suggests that most children's reflux subsides when they are about 12-18 months old, but this hasn't been the case for us. She has been on baby Zantac for about two months, but it obviously hasn't done anything to curtail the spitting up. The only reasons I can think of are possibly 1. overfeeding (my daughter never "tells" us or indicates she is full; she will eat however much we give her, so we have to stop feeding her when we feel that she's had enough) or 2. her esophagus still isn't completely mature to keep food in her stomach. I'd prefer to avoid a scope if possible, especially considering she's thriving in every way and developmentally on target. This is just something that concerns me because I thought she'd have outgrown it by now.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any suggestions for how to handle it? Many thanks for any insights anyone can offer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: 20 month old toddler spitting up

Dear Shadowcat,

One thing to try is to feed her a little more often, and/or maybe more than she has been getting at once. She may have a very high metabolism. When my children gulped their food I changed their diet to something more substantial and didn't give fluids close to when they ate food and the spitting up stopped.

If you have been feeding her baby food, I would introduce cooked & mashed fresh vegetables and fruit and cooked well chopped or mashed meat, eggs, etc. Of course if she gets reactions to a specific food stop it and try it again when she is older.

It might not be damaging her to give the baby an anti-acid but I think that it may be unnecessary if you feed her regular food and small healthy snacks inbetween such as 1/2 a small mashed banana, or other fruit.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:11 AM   #3
    Shadowcat129
    (female)

Shadowcat129 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply! I forgot to mention in my first post with regards to eating, we feed her five small meals/snacks a day as opposed to three larger meals. She eats a variety of foods: fruits, vegetables, meats, grains. She has been on table food since she was about a year old. We give her one bite or piece of food at a time because, otherwise, she'll try to put everything in her mouth at once.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Shadowcat,

If she is healthy it seems this is just a matter of training, then. Be consistent and she may grow out of it.

Have you talked to her doctor about this?

Reply Reply