It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 3 Year old w/influenza A...in/out hospital!! Help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2003, 05:49 AM   #1
    Beth*

Beth* HB User
    Question 3 Year old w/influenza A...in/out hospital!! Help!!

I donteven know where to begin with this nightmare we (my whole family) has been going through now for over two weeks. It started with my 10 yr old with a cold/cough. He got better, than I got bronchitis (or so I was diagnosed with it). Than, my 3 year old (who is only 30 lbs,and has moderate to severe asthma already) got a sudden fever of 105 that we could not get to budge. Than came the vomiting. Since he wouldnt really eat, it was mostly dry heaves, with bile and white foam coming out. He also had some coughing and some asthma issues (we are very familar with being in the hospital with him as every winter he seems to get dehydrated from colds/asthma). The fever concerned me....so of course upon going to the dr. they had us admitted to the hospital so they could try to get the fever down and get fluids in him. Upon arrival, we discovered he also had a double ear infection and very enlarged tonsils! To make a long story...as short as possible (I realize this is getting long and boring,sorry) we were there for approx. 3 days with iv fluids, antibiotics and stuff to keep the fever from going above 105. Than the swab came back positive for influenza type A. From what I understand this is a type of flu that has been killing people this year. It seemed like as soon as they knew it was the flu, they couldnt have discharged us faster. I feel they definately let us go home too soon. The first night home (Fri or Sat??), was miserable and we wound up calling the doc again and having to put him in the tub as his fever kept rising and wouldnt go down again. For now, it is going up and down. I am giving him feverall (suppositiories) and alternating with Motrin (by mouth) and this seems to work well. However, he has a hard time keeping the Motrin down by mouth and threw it up several times yesterday. The bath works...but only for short periods and than up goes the fever. It was such a struggle to keep it at like 103 yesterday that I am emotionally and physically exhausted too. I cant sleep, eat...or take care of myself in any way. My 10 year old is now showing signs of this as well although he can tell me when he doesnt feel good and what hurts. His fever has been around 100 after tylenol...(he can swallow pills). I am looking for anyone's advice and time frame for this with a small child! HELP....HELP....HELP!!!! I am at my wits end and dont want my little to wind up in the hospital again, right before or on Christmas no less. I still have so much shopping to do as well and at this point will be out Midnight this week trying to finish up not to mention wrap gifts. My 10 year doesnt and wont understand if Christmas "has to wait a few days" or whatever! I feel like I belong in a mental hospital myself right now....so any advice/stories etc...I am hoping will help! I just really would like to know when he will start to show signs of improvement. When I call the Dr. they are just telling me "it will run its course" but if you cant keep his fever at or below 105, he will have to be readmitted. Anyone's advice???? Sorry for the rant. THanks for any help!

Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2003, 06:15 AM   #2
    allaboutkids

allaboutkids HB User
    Re: 3 Year old w/influenza A...in/out hospital!! Help!!

I'm sorry for your ordeal (even more sorry for the kids). There is nothing I can say that your Dr I'm sure hasn't told you. But I would hope that next year you keep this in mind and get the family vaccinated for the flu. Children under 9 years old have to get the vaccine in two doses. It really is worth it.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:21 AM   #3
    Beth*

Beth* HB User

Honestly...I had no idea that small children could get the vaccine. Yes, I will consider it for sure for next year. I have mixed feeling as i have heard of people getting sick from the vaccine itself, as isnt it a live virus??? Thanks for your concern and support! Any support at this point is positive as I am literally going crazy between the two kids. My husband had to go back to work today (someone has to make money right?) and I am now handling it all on my own...its just draining and its only 9 am. I have already dealt with taking temps, making sure they both are drinking fluids, forcing meds into them both and just basically making sure they are both (expeically the 3 yr old as he is more critical) comfortable with low fevers and not high!

Yikes...if I can get through today....I can get through mostly anything that is for sure. Hopefully after my Husband gets home today...my Mom and I are going out to the mall to finish the Christmas shopping. Believe it or not...I am looking sooo forward to the mad rush of Christmas.

Beth

Old 12-22-2003, 09:18 AM   #4
    maybe helpful
    Senior Veteran

maybe helpful HB User

The vaccine can be given in children 6 months and up safely. It is not a live virus, it is a dead one, and can not cause you to have the flu. HOWEVER, if you have a fever at the time of vaccination they will not give it. Also, keep in mind the NEW vaccine Flumist IS a live virus, so the safest route is the shot vaccine.

I live in the New Mexico/Colorado Area, were SEVERAL children have died. PLEASE keep right on top of this, DEFINITLY for your son with asthma. It IS a deadly virus this year, and if you feel as if you NEED him to go back to hospital, DONT hesitate to take him. And also your 10 year old. If you feel they need help, need hospitilization, do everything you can to get them there.

However, for next year, flu shots are safe and recommended, especially for kids with asthma.

Good Luck, your in my prayers and thoughts.

Old 12-22-2003, 09:28 AM   #5
    Beth*

Beth* HB User

[Thanks...........

Believe me....I am staying on top of it and constantly feel as though I am calling the doctors etc. Obviously my 3 year old would rather be at home! He rips out the oxygen and ivs etc....it is just rough all around!! If I my 3 yr old doesnt get better or seem any more responsive by tomorrow...I suppose he is going back in. It is just hard on all of us as it effects the whole family! I will do whatever I have to do to keep my child well!

THanks for your input, it is appreciated!
    Beth

Old 12-22-2003, 06:19 PM   #6
    TerryB
    Veteran
    (female)

TerryB HB User

Don't knock yourself out over Christmas. Your 10 year old needs to understand this life lesson that some things are more important than presents. I would consider this a perfect opportunity to teach him this lesson. [removed] I would stay positive and let him know that you know he is working toward being a man and that you have confidence that he won't lose it over a delay in Christmas. You need to stay as healthy and emotionally fit to take care of your sick child. [removed]. I know this isn't coming across real smoothly but my heart is in the right place. I really feel your fear, exhaustion and pain. Hang in there Momma! Terry

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 12-23-2003 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Choose your words carefully. Be supportive.

Old 12-23-2003, 09:23 AM   #7
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I'm surprised your child's doctor didn't tell you to get your child vaccinated for the flu along with everyone else in your family. My spouse and I were told to get flu shots, when our child turned 6 months he got his and when we were in for a regular check-up last week the doctor was ready to give us all flu shots if we hadn't already done so. We were also given prescriptions for tamiflu with instructions to fill the one for our child immediately if he got the flu and fill ours if we were exposed to the flu -- if a large number of coworkers were suddenly out sick with it.

Sounds like you're keeping on top of things. Don't be afraid to speak up if you're concerned with your child's health. This is serious stuff and IMO I think too many times parents are told "it's nothing" "it's just a virus" and are sent home with instructions to use pain reliever and cold remedies. I had to tell a medical professional the other day to wash her hands. She'd just been playing with a sick child in the waiting room and then was going to weigh my child. Duh!

Last edited by Ratatosk; 12-23-2003 at 09:27 AM.

Old 12-23-2003, 09:31 AM   #8
    Beth*

Beth* HB User

My doctor did not really recommend the flu shot....and its beyond that point now so that is mute! I am a Mom who is very much on top of things and definately NOT afraid to say how I feel. My son has been sick with lots of different ailments in his short life. He has, asthma, needs his tonsils and adnoids out (scheduled for Jan. ), low weight, etc....we have been in and out of the hospital with him for the past two years and are fairly skilled in dealing with the docs etc. THis just hit him very hard although things are looking up now! I think he will be better just in time for Christmas. I will definately be on top of the flu shot next year but am not sure if there was a certain reason NOT to give it to him this year. My brain is mush at this point but I do remember discussing and than deciding against it for my three year old due to his other issues! They wont give it to a child who is already sick and my son is always sick with asthma issues etc. Also that tamiflu has not been given out here at all! We tried to no avail! Thanks for the advice and post. All advice and support is great!

Happy Holidays,
    Beth

Old 12-23-2003, 09:35 AM   #9
    Beth*

Beth* HB User

Guys....

I am SOOOO appreciative of all your replys/ advice etc....but please please please do NOT answer me with "flu shot" as I have already of course thought of that and it is now too late. That stuff wont help now...any other advice besides that or stories or course......is welcomed! No...I cant get Tamiflu either...been there, tried that...cant get it! My son also has other issues that we were on the fence about giving the flu shot to begin with to him. But rest assured, next year, I am probably doing it regardless!

Please you guys dont take this wrong way...just I am sooooo over hearing how the flu shot "Could have" worked etc....its too late. I already feel bad enough and that is not an option at this point for me or my family this late in the game!

Happy holidays and thanks,
    Beth

Last edited by Beth*; 12-23-2003 at 09:35 AM.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:44 AM   #10
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

IMO, I just think I'd find another doctor. Obviously your child's doctor isn't on top of all this and taking a proactive stance on this. [REMOVED]

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 12-23-2003 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Choose your words carefully. Be supportive. Everyone is welcome to post on these boards. Do not indicate otherwise.

Old 12-23-2003, 12:12 PM   #11
    Beth*

Beth* HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratatosk
    IMO, I just think I'd find another doctor. Obviously your child's doctor isn't on top of all this and taking a proactive stance on this. And if you don't want advice. Then don't post on boards.

Ok...I never said I didnt want advice! And I never said my doctor was doing anything wrong....(other than I did feel like we were discharged a bit sooner than I was comfortable with). My son has had this doc since he was born and some kids just do get sick more than others. Its in his make-up...the doc didnt give him asthma or enlarged tonsils! We do the best we can with what we have. I wasnt trying to be snotty or rude (tone is hard to interrpret via email)....I just know all there is about the flu shot already and have heard and gone that route already.

I am sorry....but I use this board as much as for a support group (just to vent and have people that have been there share and support my story) as to get advice. I LOVE any advice............and would never knock anyone for trying to help me.

I just think that you have come accross in both your posts as you seem to think "I or the doctors are NOT on top of it". That hurts me as I as a Mom want to think I am doing the best I can! I feel of course, that my child and his health does come first so to hear people just say....get another doctor, or get the flu shot, or stay on top of it.....I am doing all those things! I just was frustrated and sometimes writing my story down and having peers read and respond with advice and support sooooo helps me feel better!

Sorry if I offended anyone...that is not my intent. I do the best I can as a Mom and that is all we can do....

Hey, isnt this the time for holiday spirit and giving...why do some people sound so impatient with things???

Oh well...take care,
    Beth

Last edited by Beth*; 12-23-2003 at 12:12 PM.

Old 12-23-2003, 02:32 PM   #12
    momof3mjt
    Veteran

momof3mjt HB User

You can go through all the could of's and should of's with the flu shot ...but the thing you need to focus on right now is getting your kids over this. His fever should not be staying that high. Do they have him on antibiotics? The best thing I have found when we have the flu around here is to CONSTANTLY wipe everything down with antibacterial wipes. Spray Lysol everywhere, and crack open windows and doors when you can. This will help air your house out and prevent it from spreading.

Last winter it hit my house really bad, and it finally let up when I went CRAZY with the antibacterial stuff. lol lol You have to realize that Christmas can certainly wait a few days if you need it too. Your 10 yr old is old enough to understand that Christmas is about family, and that if you all are not better, then it won't really be all that much fun.

We did not get the flu shot last year, and we will not get it this year. Vaccinnes like this are only going to sit in your system. When your body can naturally fight these types of colds and flus.....your immune system is so much the better for it.

I hope you are all feeling better...and quit beating yourself up for not getting flu shots. They are not what we are led to believe. The flu shot will only give you coverage for 4 strains of the flu...and the one going around right now that is killing people is not one of those strains.

take care and happy holidays. As happy as you can make them.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:30 PM   #13
    Mommy2Isaiah
    (female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

Hi Beth!

I am so sorry to hear that your son took a turn for the worse. Isaiah is doing much better now, but VERY ornery! Not good ornery, either. He is acting like a naughty child...which he isn't usually. I am so OVER hearing about the fact that I didn't get my son a flu shot, too. Yeah, maybe I should have, but that DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT HE HAS THE DANG FLU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So...I'm with you on the not wanting to hear about that stupid shot EVER AGAIN! LOL

Isaiah's hearing is not good at this point. We talk to him and he answers us with weird things-things not even related to the question. I hope that the bulging ear drum that we were in the hospital for didn't affect his hearing permanently. I finally got some shopping done today, and we have Christmas with my husbands family tomorrow night, so I have to finish up tomorrow and get everything wrapped. Good luck to you....

Nicole

Old 12-24-2003, 05:30 AM   #14
    Beth*

Beth* HB User

Nicole:

Amen to that about the flu shot!!! We are doing better over here. My three year old (Mason) is slowly but surely making progress. I only had to do one breathing treatment for coughing and asthma yesterday and he was a lot more himself. He did still have a low grade fever and mostly lay around but I saw bits and pieces of his playfull side coming out throughout the day! Yay! I am just a bit worried as tomorrow is always such a busy day for us. Making the rounds to family members toting and receiving gifts from the grandparents etc. I dont want either of my boys to over-do. My older son (spencer) now has a full blown nasty sinus infection but can and is taking pill form antibiotics for it. Yesterday was his first day and he threw up so I am not sure if it is from the antibiotics or just a fluke. It is just amoxicillian which is very mild and he had had many times. I think its a mucas thing as he has alot and a terrible but loose cough. We are taking it easy as much as possible today and bed early tonight for them. My 10 yr old understands the deal with Santa and is ready to go to bed by 7!! He knows its us but doesnt ruin it for his little brother and is still excited to go to bed as he knows in the morning the presents will be there.

Its is so magical for us....I love it! Its hard work...(wrapped till 2 last night with still some more to go)but usually a great holiday for us filled with fun and love! I am always more prepared and ahead of the game than I am/was this year. Oh well...stuff happens!

I hope all in your family as well as other posters stay well...keep me posted!

Beth

Old 12-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #15
    Beth*

Beth* HB User

[Just an update for all interested:

My little guy started not doing too well again On Friday. He just literally screamed for hours saying his head/ears were hurting. We rushed him to the doctor and they said he had two very serious ear infections still. He had been on augmentin at this point for over a week and just discharged from the hospital for the flu. They had to hold him down at the docs office, take this long metal loop like thing and scrape and pull out all the pus and gross stuff from his ears that were in front of his ear drums!! It was sooo nasty...they gave him numbing drops and that seemed to help his pain and helped him calm down. He didnt really have a fever, just low-grade and was hydrated etc. so they said instead of going back to the hospital to get iv drugs (since the augmentin isnt working), he could get a shot of Rochephin (spelling ?) every day for four days in a row. I guess that is a very strong antibiotic....so, needless to say we have been dragging him to the doc every day since friday for a shot in the leg of this stuff. Poor guy....as soon as I pull up into the parking lot of the doctors office now, he starts flipping out knowing a shot is coming. Yesterday was our second shot and the doc says his ears still look pretty bad. He seems more comfortable though and the numbing stuff helps at home too...(they gave me some to give him) but....he has a Friday appt. for the ent and they said that if his eardrums/infection still looks this bad on Friday when I see the specialist, that the ent would most likely need to do surgery immediately. I guess tubes or maybe scrape the infection out??? I am not sure as I am so confused now. Luckily, I had already had the specialist appt. as we have been considering getting tonsils/adnoids out as the docs at hospital said he should probably get that done this year so next year the flu and other stuff doesnt hit him as hard. He has had throat issues, ear tubes when he was 9 months old, asthma problems and weight gain issues. HELP!!! I am frustrated but know it could always be worse. Hopefully he will outgrow all this and be fine later in life!! I know there are kids out there with terminal stuff that wont be fine so I do feel lucky in general. Its just so darn frustrating and exhausting...I honestly feel like I have a black cloud following us! It never stops! Yikes.........at least we made it through the holidays now!

I will keep you all posted (literally)...thanks for letting me vent. You all are like my internet family and I appreciate all of you who respond and listen to my stories!

Take care,
    Beth....hope you are doing well!

Closed Thread