It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• possible strep throat- could it be something else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
    KathrynB

KathrynB HB User
    possible strep throat- could it be something else?

Any information would be appreciated. My 4 1/2 year old has huge tonsils with streaks of pus. I took her to the doctor today and the rapid strep test came back negative. The doctor said it was probably a virus and would run its course. Of course, its friday!! Is tonsilitis a bacterial infection? Are there other types of bacterial throat infections besides strep that require antibiotic treatment? Can there be pus in a throat and still be viral? My gut feeling is this is strep and she will deteriorate over the weekend. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
    PinkBanana

PinkBanana HB User
    Re: possible strep throat- could it be something else?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KathrynB
    Any information would be appreciated. My 4 1/2 year old has huge tonsils with streaks of pus. I took her to the doctor today and the rapid strep test came back negative. The doctor said it was probably a virus and would run its course. Of course, its friday!! Is tonsilitis a bacterial infection? Are there other types of bacterial throat infections besides strep that require antibiotic treatment? Can there be pus in a throat and still be viral? My gut feeling is this is strep and she will deteriorate over the weekend. Thank you.
    I have allergies that get into my throat and it makes white streaks(pus) in the back of my throat. Everytime I go to the doctor the nurse is convinced it's strep and I've had more strep tests than I can count. All come back negative.
    However, a rapid has about a 50% false negative/false positive failure rate. A culture is much more effective..you can have that done.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:10 AM   #3
    KathrynB

KathrynB HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinkBanana
    I have allergies that get into my throat and it makes white streaks(pus) in the back of my throat. Everytime I go to the doctor the nurse is convinced it's strep and I've had more strep tests than I can count. All come back negative.
    However, a rapid has about a 50% false negative/false positive failure rate. A culture is much more effective..you can have that done.
    Thanks. You have put my mind at ease. She had a horrible night (so did I) because her tonsils are so huge and her nose is so congested she could hardly breathe/sleep . But, she is holding her own.

Last edited by KathrynB; 02-07-2004 at 06:11 AM.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:15 AM   #4
    PinkBanana

PinkBanana HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KathrynB
    Thanks. You have put my mind at ease. She had a horrible night (so did I) because her tonsils are so huge and her nose is so congested she could hardly breathe/sleep . But, she is holding her own.
    Maybe you could ask for a steroid nasal spray for now to help her get better?
    That will reduce the inflammation in her nose/throat.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
    KathrynB

KathrynB HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinkBanana
    Maybe you could ask for a steroid nasal spray for now to help her get better?
    That will reduce the inflammation in her nose/throat.
    Thanks. She is doing a lot better. I will try the steroid nasal spray too. I was totally convinced she had strep!! But I was wrong.

Closed Thread