It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• formula and breast milk?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
    agentbluesmurf

agentbluesmurf HB User
    formula and breast milk?

hello all,
    I will be having my first baby in 2 weeks and have soo many questions. I plan on breast feeding and pumping, but i also have been givin like 4 containers of powder formula for free. so i guess my question is : is it ok to feed her breast milk and formula? or is it better to feed her only one or the other? I am wondering just in case i am out for a while or something and havnt pumped any milk, if the person who is babysitting can feed her a bottle of formula. i really dont want to waste the formula by not usiing it but i also want to keep the cost down and not have to buy formula but to give her breast milk.
    I guess im just really confused, and need some help with this feeding thing.

any info or advice would help ssoooo much.
    thanks

First time mom to Isis Jo-lyn.
    Baby girl.
    EDD. June 28 2004.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2004, 09:35 PM   #2
    usedtobefrosty

usedtobefrosty HB User
    Re: formula and breast milk?

If you are planning to breastfeed it's probably best that you stick to the breast exclusively for as long as possible. Formula keeps for a long time (at least 2 years) if unopened. Formula isn't nearly as good for a baby as breastmilk, and once you get the hang of breastfeeding, it's much more convenient.

Oh, and if you pump and bit extra all the time, you can freeze it for quite a while so you won't be caught without a bottle.

Last edited by usedtobefrosty; 06-09-2004 at 09:37 PM.

Old 06-10-2004, 03:22 AM   #3
    MandyAnne26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Formula is harder for the baby to digest so unless absolutly necessary (your gone for extended periods of time, for some reason you don't produce enough milk) than you should stick with breast milk. A lot of babies do fine with a combination of both, but i would imagine if you give a baby formula who has only had breast milk it could cause stomache upset (it may not, but since breast milk is so much easier to digest i would imagine it could).
    If your worried about your baby running out of breast milk while gone than just make sure you have lots stored up. babies need to eat about every 2 hours in the begining, especially if breastfeeding..they eat more frequently, so just make sure if your gone for 4 hours you have atleast 3 saved up (1 extra just to make sure). Also, you should prepare yourself for the possibility that your little one will refuse a bottle, i believe the recomendation is you wait 6 wks before introducing it to cut down on the chances of nipple confusion and after 6wks breastfeeding is well established. my kids that i breastfed refused a bottle. If you only want to use formula because it was a free gift than pass it along to a friend, or better yet some sort of a food bank then someone in need can recieve it...i wouldn't give the baby formula for those reasons alone. But it's always a good idea to have some on hand for when you are gone just in case, and if you freeze and store breastmilk make sure whoever is watching the baby stores and thaws it properly, if done incorrectly it can damage the milk.

Old 06-10-2004, 03:33 AM   #4
    7YellowRoses

7YellowRoses HB User

I would agree that you should breastfeed exclusively for as long as possible. I have read that if you plan on breastfeeding, you should avoid any kind of artificial nipple (ie bottle, pacifier) for the first four weeks in order to avoid nipple confusion.

Breastmilk is the best way to go- for both of you! It has the health benefits of antibodies for the baby and it's easier for them to digest, it is also more convenient, helps you lose weight, and gives you an excuse to sit down and relax.

As for pumping, that works well too. If you haven't already bought a pump, I suggest the Medela double pump, which is what I used. It is electric, has adjustable suction and speed, and can do one or both sides at the same time. You can even get a cigarette lighter adapter to use on the road! If I remember correctly, breast milk keeps in the fridge for a few days, in a refirgerater's freezer for 6 months, and in a deep freezer for a year. Just make sure to tell the alternate caregiver that it should be warmed up by placing it in a bowl of hot tap water, not by microwaving it which kills the antibodies.

If you do want to supplement with formula, that should be ok... Just talk to your doctor to be on the safe side. It may cause a little constipation when you start it. I was exclusively breastfeeding my son, but later found out that around 3 months of age his father started giving him formula during his visitation. It didn't seem to affect him that much, as he nursed to 2 years. The only thing is the constipation I noticed one weekend, which I believe to be the start of him getting formula.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
    kenziesmom
    (female)

kenziesmom HB User

I agree with the other posters breastfeeding is really the best way to go for both of you. You don't want to introduce the bottle till after about 6 weeks because of nipple confusion and when they go back to the breast they may have a problem. Formula can cause problems like constipation which you pretty much never have with breast milk as long as it is exclusive and you have not started feeding baby food. I nursed my 4 kids till they were all just about 2 (usually when I was about to have another baby) and they never really took the bottle since they refused it anyway. The nice thing about that is I never had to wean them from the bottle and only 1 of my kids would take a pacifier and he decided he was done with that at 9mos. Like one other person said if you are worried about wasting the formula donate it to a charity or someone who is unable to breast feed.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
    jasaac
    (female)

jasaac HB User

HI,
    Yes breast feeding is best, they say. I have 4 kids. Breast fed two and the other two just didn't take to it. So they did formula. Breast feeding can be very emotional. If the baby does not take to it right away, you might feel like YOU did something wrong. I haved worked full time up until the day I delivered and then went back to work right away. I pumped at work and sumplemented with formula. It is not like is used to be, the formulas are pretty good. Anway, do what you feel is best. Nursing can make you feel tied to the baby and frustrated. But it is also a wonderful thing. I have to worn you, hurts like heck at first. Feels like needles shooting through your nipples, but that goes away. Anyway, if it does not work out. Formula is good too. My kids have all grown up happy and healthy formula or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Jewelz

Closed Thread