It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Tonsils and adnoids out???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2004, 05:00 AM   #1
    heddy73
    Veteran
    (female)

heddy73 HB User
    Tonsils and adnoids out???

My 5 yr old has possible sleep apnea. He may need tonsils and adnoids out. We saw his ENT dr thursday and she said they will likely have to come out. They are large and could be causing the sleep apnea. He snores and has behavioral issues. We have been working on the behavior. I have read in 2 articles in Parents magazine about sleep apnea being caused by enlarged tonsils. Side effects to this are bedwetting(he has) and behaviral problems that are similar to add/adhd. He has seen several councilors and been eveluated by drs and they say no he doesn't have adhd. They happened to mention how his tonsils looked large in a routine visit at the ENT dr. He has allergies and was there for that when they noticed the tonsils. He had x-rays on thursday to look inside. We go back Aug.16th for the dr to tell us what he thinks. Finally after all this long winded history my question is has anyone heard of this or has anyones children had their tonsils out. I am just curious as to if they stay overnight? How was recovery? I'm nervous even though I know this is quite routine.He still is my baby at 5 yrs old. Thank you for the responses.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2004, 08:12 AM   #2
    crowgirl
    (female)

crowgirl HB User
    Re: Tonsils and adnoids out???

If it's of any help to you, here's my experience with this. I had my adenoids out at 5 yrs and my tonsils at 10 yrs. The first one was an outpatient procedure, and I was fine again within a few days. The 2nd one was an inpatient procedure with a week's stay at the hospital. I understand that nowadays, they sometimes keep children in for two weeks, in order to make sure there are no complications. There might be hemorrhages during that time, for example, and in rare cases, those could get dangerous if not treated quickly, so if you decide to have the surgery done and they offer you to keep him in for two weeks, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, just keep a close eye on him for a while and don't let him shout or play too roughly while he's healing, in order to minimize the risk.

Apart from that (and obviously having a very sore throat for a few days), it's not too bad a procedure, and I'm sure if it's really necessary for your son, he'll greatly benefit from it in the long run.

All the best!

Old 08-16-2004, 03:46 PM   #3
    heddy73
    Veteran
    (female)

heddy73 HB User

He will have to have both tonsils and adnoids out Spet. 16th.....

Old 08-16-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
    Mommyof4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommyof4 HB User

My son is almost 4. When he was 2, he had his tonsils and adnoids removed along with a biopsy and removal of a lymph node in his neck. The surgery lasted about an hour. He came out screaming which I hear is a common occurrence with children and anesthesia. We were discharged about an hour after his surgery.

They sent us home with a prescription of Tylenol with Codeine and instructions to only allow clear fluids. Milk is a no no as it thickens secretions. We were told the expect blood from his nose and possibly his mouth.

After we got home and the crankiness wore off, we gave him apple juice and the Tylenol. He spent most of the first day or two sleeping. He would cry when he couldnt swallow but we also used Cloraseptic to help him.

He was fine within a week and each day was better than the one before. Good luck

Old 08-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #5
    PajamaMomma

PajamaMomma HB User

Hi. My 8 yr old son is scheduled to have his tonsils and adnoids out Sept. 15th. So, I too was hoping to hear some experiences and any info. The doc said my son would only stay in the hospital for 1-2 days after surgery, but need to be kept home from school for about a week or so to aviod any infections. Also, to closely monitor him for fever (after day 2) and any bleeding. Have him drinking cold clear liquids, and all that stuff. Thats about all I know so far. So if anyone else has anything to share it would be great! Thanks!

Old 08-16-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
    crisma
    Veteran
    (female)

crisma HB User

Hi! My 11 year old son had his tonsils out 2 years ago, and if I would have known how good things would turn out, I would have done it years before. He had sleep apnea and snored a lot. He was also very small for his age. His doctor had been trying to do the surgery for a few years, but when he was 2 he had tubes in his ears and that was not a very good experience{he did not do well post-surgery} so I was not keen on the surgery thing. But after several bouts with strep-throat we decided to go for it and it was great. It was out-patient and we were only there for about 4 hours. The worst thing was the IV but if you talk to them before hand they might do it after they put the child out. The surgery took about 30 minutes and we went home about 2 hours after that. Expect some bloody vomit, that almost always happens. Looks kind of scary, but it is normal. Soft foods for the first 48 hours and then it is just trial and error.You also might check with an apothocary[spell?] store for lollipops that numb their throat. They are kind of expensive but worth it. Normal drug stores don't usually carry them, but you do have to have a prescription. But the surgery is well worth it. My son has not had strep since. He does not snore, and he sleeps great now! He has also gained weight and I never thought that would happen. Good luck!!!

Old 08-16-2004, 08:51 PM   #7
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Our daughter just had the surgery in February, at the age of 4 1/2. She had had 33 ear infections prior to that, and six cases of strep in seven months after getting ear tubes (I guess the infection had to go somewhere). We got to the hospital at 8 AM, they took her to surgery at 10:30 and we were home by 1:30 that same day. The first few days were difficult and we couldn't get her to take the pain meds, but by the third day she was much better and has been so much better since the surgery. She too snored a lot and no longer does. The only thing I would recommend is that you see if you can avoid the pre op meds. They tend to make them very disoriented and upset after surgery and all they do is make it easier for the child to seperate from you. That can be done well with a creative nurse and lots of encouragement anyway, plus they wake up so much more content.
    Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.
    Nancy

Old 08-16-2004, 09:22 PM   #8
    Mommy2Isaiah
    (female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

My son had his adenoids and tonsils out this year (he's 5 now) b/c of sleep apnea. We went through just about everything you could imagine to get him to sleep in his bed. I won't even start the list, b/c no one has all night. Anyways, the procedure took about 45 min and he was a firecracker when he woke up. He was so angry for the doctor taking his tonsils away from him! He threw up blood before we left the hospital, and here in Iowa at the University Hospital, they don't let you leave until they throw up at least once, but not more than twice. My husband and I were starving when we left the hospital and stopped at Olive Garden. We ordered ice cream for Isaiah and he wanted spaghetti and breadsticks (we didn't let him have them). He hated taking the tylenol3, and didn't need it after the first night. He did spectacular with the pain. He actually tried to get off my lap and run around the hospital!

He is doing fantastic now, sleeping through the night, but I have to say that it took about 3-4 months before he did that. I think it was a combo of age and the surgery.

Good luck...it's harder for the mom than the child, I PROMISE.

Nicole
    The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost

Old 08-17-2004, 05:18 AM   #9
    MandyAnne26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

My son had his tonsils and adeniods out at 7. The surgery took less than an hour and he was in the recovery room untill he was swallowing good, could get up to go to the washroom. We were there all day basicly...his surgery was first thing, (8am i think), and i believe it was close to supper before we got out. They kept us there so long because they just wanted to make sure he was swallowing good and there would be no bleeding. The reasons behind letting the kids stay home versis keeping them there a few days like they used to is because the highest risk for bleeding is directly after the surgery and 7-10 days later when the scabs start to come off, when they wouldn't be in the hospital anyways. My son did very well with recovery, he had codiene and tylenol that was given every 4-6 hours. It is very critical that you don't allow the meds to wear off, they should give you instructions as to when to give his meds, stick to it, wake up in the middle of the night to give him his meds. If they wear off his throat may hurt too bad to take them, then he won't drink and then he'll get dehydrated and his throat will get dry which can lead to bleeding. Buy him lots of popcycles and that sort of thing. I know with my son the first few days were bad, he wasn't feeling well (not sure if it was from the anesthesia or from the meds) but after about day 3 he got better every day buy the end of the first week he was eating normal (no scratchy foods though) and behaving normaly.
    My son was also a snorer, this stoped. He had the bedwetting and add symptoms...all still there. He does sleep better and is eating much better, he actually put on about 5lbs in the few months after the surgery. His tonsils were so big they were touching, making it hard for him to swallow.
    Good luck with your sons surgery and make sure you follow all of the doctors instructions.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:46 AM   #10
    heddy73
    Veteran
    (female)

heddy73 HB User

Thanks for all your replys. The doctor said overnight stay. I'm fine with that then I have helpmaking sure he gets his pain med.I think its overnight cause it will be later in the day when he has surgery.I plan on stocking up on popsicles and nondairy treats. He loves Jello and that kind of thing.Would chicken broth be too harsh? I mean after a few days? I'm just concerned about dehydration.He did say Tylenol3 would be his pain med.I am taking a week off after his surgery. I have 2 weeks coming anyway.I spoke with a person who's child had similar problems and she said her daughter woke up and acted better and better. They feel if he gets enough sleep his attitude would be better too.I hope.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:54 AM   #11
    PajamaMomma

PajamaMomma HB User

The instructions the nurse gave me said to just give my son regular Tylenol after he comes home. Do you guys think that will be good enough, or should I go ahead and ask for the T3? I would hate for him to be in pain and the tylenol not help him!

My son also snores (REALLY LOUD!!), and his tonsils are so big he is having trouble swallowing and a little trouble breathing. He also has relfux, which has been very bad off and on- and he now has a G-tube to feed him w/ if he won't eat by mouth. I'm worried that if he refuses to eat/drink by mouth that his poor throat is going to be even more sore than normal. Any ideas on what to do if that happens? Maybe keeping some ice or something on him? Thanks everyone for all the replies - and thanks to heddy73 for starting this thread! Any more advice would be great!

Old 08-17-2004, 07:42 AM   #12
    crisma
    Veteran
    (female)

crisma HB User

Be careful when giving chicken broth and some soups. Most soups are high in sodium, which can cause their throat to burn. Look for the low sodium soups. My sons doc did not give him any pain meds. He told us to alternate tylenol and motrin. It worked fine for us.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:35 PM   #13
    R&R

R&R HB User

Hey, I guess we got lucky. My daughter was 3 years old (she is now 7) when she had her tonsils and adnoids out. She did fantastic. Waiting on her to get out of surgery was the worst part. Before her surgery she had strep throat constantly and her tonsils were enlarged anyway, so you can imagine what they looked like when they were infected. Before the doctor operated on her, he asked my husband and I if he got in there and her adnoids were large, would we want him to take them out. Of course we said yes, not really thinking he would have to . She had never had a problem with snoring or anything like that. But when she was in the recovery room, he came out and told us he had taken them out. He said they were "HUGE" and he couldn't believe she had not been having trouble with them. He also warned us that the week to come would probably be awful. But like I said we must have gotten really lucky because she didn't have one bad day. I don't know if it was because she had gotten so used to having strep throat or what, but the little thing didn't even complain with her throat hurting. Our doctor was amazed at her post op check-up.
    After we spend about 4 hours with her in the observation room, they dismissed us and we headed for home. Believe it or not, the next day she wanted to eat.....CHEETOS of all things. But I didn't let her eat them because I thought they might scratch her throat (and all that salt wouldn't have been to good on an open wound either). If any of you guys have any more questions, just send them my way. I know it's a scary thing to have anything done to our babies, but I bet it will help them like it did her. Like I said, she was 3 then, and she's 7 now. It made a world of difference in her health. She has not had strep throat one time since her surgery.
    Thank Goodness!!!! I hope I didn't ramble to much. Just wanted to try to ease your mind a little. Good Luck to you all.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:14 AM   #14
    heddy73
    Veteran
    (female)

heddy73 HB User

Thanks R&R it does help having parents respond that have been thru this. The dr said no to advil or motrin and of course aspirin. He said the advil would increase the bleeding. I usually stick with tylenol anyway. I just get nervous and it helps to talk it out. My husband is way more laid back so talking to him is not really that helpful. He says its routine and he will be fine. I told him yeah I know that but guess who's going to be home with him for the week or 2 after.......I like to know what to expect not go thru it blindly hoping for the best.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:35 AM   #15
    PajamaMomma

PajamaMomma HB User

Thanks so much everyone! It helps alot to hear from others who've been through this. I can't wait to see how much good this does for my son. My son has Cerebral Palsy, so he's been through 4 surgeries as it is - atleast this one is considered routine. Of course any surgery for our children is a very big deal! I'm just hoping that everything goes smoothly and he has a good speedy recovery. Thanks again everyone. Having you guys share your experiences really helps!

Closed Thread