It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Health concerns for child exposed to a filthy home

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #1
    SYH

SYH HB User
    Health concerns for child exposed to a filthy home

My 8-year-old daughter likes to spend Sunday afternoons with her grandmother (my mother-in-law). The problem is that mother-in-law’s home is extremely filthy. The home is never cleaned and reeks of cat litter. Her cats (two cats) often use the living room carpet for their litter and then the carpet is not clean! The problem is not just with her cats; her kitchen is also a mess with dirty dishes piled up all the time. My wife (her daughter) and I can hardly stand to go into the home, because of the smell.

Although her home is a disaster, my mother-in-law’s personal hygiene is good. She is always clean, and nicely dressed. She is a person who never throws anything out and never cleans her house.

My mother-in-law loves her granddaughter and my daughter loves her grandmother. They look forward to spending time together each Sunday afternoon. I am really uncomfortable with my daughter going to such a filthy house. What are the health concerns of such an environment? [removed]

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 09-17-2004 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Do not ask for assistance on off board research. This is an on board sharing only. Please read and follow the rules. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 03:16 AM   #2
    MandyAnne26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
    Re: Health concerns for child exposed to a filthy home

I don't know about the specific health concerns, just teach your daughter proper handwashing techniques, let her know what to stay away from. There are the obvious ones...touching something with bacteria on it and getting sick (diareah, vomiting etc), I'm sure if she touched something dirty and touched her eyes she could aslo get an eye infection. It's hard to say without really knowing what exactly the mess is.
    What i would do is tell her not to touch anything that she absolutly doesn't need to touch, wash her hands and i would throw her in the shower or tub when she got home. Has anybody ever talked to her about cleaning her house? it's one thing to be a packrat it's a totaly different thing to have animal urine on your floor and dirty dishes adn things everywhere....It's a strong possibility that she's suffering from some form of ocd or other mental illness...i'm not saying she's crazy, just that it's not a normal thing to live like that.
    Maybe you could also invite her over on sundays instead of your daughter going there?

Old 09-20-2004, 08:07 AM   #3
    HeyThere
    Veteran

HeyThere HB User

1. cats are harbors of bacteria because they eat birds mice etc. there is a major bacteria that harmful to elderly, baby, preg women and hiv folks.
    2. If it is so bad have her house gutted rip out the carpet and padding and throw the fabric curtains and fabric furniture then get rid of the cats. There is a thing called elderly cruelty there are laws a day of labor to gut the house is nothing compared to the health and wellbeing of your mother and your own child. She could get a pnemonia and sinus infection which can be deadly if overlooked (written off as just a cold)or untreated.
    3. Get a museum family pass or rent a movie and invite her over more often if you absoulutely cannot redo her home get her a maid it cost like $100 month for 2-3 cleanings.
    4. Cat spray cannot be gotten rid of unless you replace drywall and airconditioning ductwork.
    5. Seems her mom just needs attention and tending to (trying to fill her empty nest) keep her mind active church group, hobby group, anything, family gatherings.
    6.no wonder guys don't like cats.

Old 09-20-2004, 06:28 PM   #4
    Chrissi
    Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

i would be quite concerned about this....bacteria can kill people....it is not safe in a home where cats "go" in the floor.....and where dirty dishes have been left for days...
    this is hard i am sure since your daughter loves spending time with her grandmother, but you have to consider the health of your child in this case.....

just some intresting things about cats.....here is some of the things they can carry....

***Campylobacter (pronounced: kam-pie-low-back-ter) infection is one type of infection dogs and cats can transmit to humans. Campylobacter is a bacteria that can live in the digestive systems of dogs and cats. Anyone who comes into contact with water, feces, or a food product that has Campylobacter bacteria in it can experience unpleasant side effects like diarrhea, abdominal pain, and fever. Campylobacter infections are contagious, which means they are passed from person to person, especially among members of the same household. A person who has a campylobacter infection is usually treated with antibiotics.

***A person who is bitten or scratched by a feline infected with Bartonella henselae bacteria may develop swollen and tender lymph nodes, fever, headache, and fatigue. Although the cat usually doesn't have any symptoms at all, the human can develop these characteristic symptoms of cat scratch disease. The symptoms of cat scratch disease usually disappear without treatment, but sometimes a doctor may prescribe antibiotics to clear up the infection.

***Ringworm, also called tinea (pronounced: tih-nee-uh), is an infection caused by a fungus that can occur anywhere on a person's body. People with scratches on the skin or poor hygiene (such as not washing hands often or properly) can get ringworm from touching infected animals such as dogs, cats, and rodents. Ringworm causes itchy circular rings anywhere on the skin (even the scalp) that continue to grow if not treated.

***Toxocariasis (pronounced: tocks-oh-kuh-reye-ah-sis) is an illness that is caused by worms that live in the intestines of dogs and cats. The eggs from the worms are passed to humans by the feces of dogs and cats. People - especially babies and younger children - who often put things in their mouths or who or do not wash their hands frequently may accidentally eat the very tiny eggs. Once the eggs are in a person's body, they may hatch and cause symptoms such as fever, cough or wheezing, abdominal pain, rash, or enlarged lymph nodes.

***Toxoplasmosis (pronounced: tocks-oh-plaz-moe-sis) you can get by having contact with a parasite found in cat feces or undercooked meat. Signs and symptoms of this infection include swollen glands, fatigue, muscle pain, fever, headache, cough, sore throat, and rash. Toxoplasmosis is especially dangerous in pregnant women. Pregnant women should avoid all contact with litter boxes, especially from an indoor/outdoor cat.

While these may not apply to all cats, it is especially important in this case because obviously the cat excrement is eveywhere....

i can say, this is not a place i would let my child visit (although i would allow her to still see her grandmother obviously)...i know that may seem cruel to others but i take the health of my child over everything....i have stepped on many toes when it comes to my family members...but like they say...you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited by Chrissi; 09-20-2004 at 06:33 PM.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
    PinkPiglet
    Veteran
    (female)

PinkPiglet HB User

My mil was exactly the same way. Her house had paths through some of the rooms where she could walk, other rooms had so much stuff she couldn't get into them. The cats had the run of the place and it stuck!

We finally had to move her out of her home for her own safety and health. Not to mention the fire hazard all that stuff was. The mental health experts say she has "Senior Squallor Disorder".

When we moved her out the clean up was horrid. I spent 3 months in that town (not living in the house) cleaning that place. I can't even tell you the amount of trips to the garbage dump. We had 3 garage sales and made a couple thousand $$ for her.

She now lives in a senior's apartment where she's still basically on her own but has rules where it has to be kept clean. Every once in a while my dh and I go over and pick up all the extra newspapers, mail, etc. She keeps every envelope, every piece of junk mail she gets.

In her old house she had 3 fridges and 2 huge freezers chocked full of stuff. The freezers were so full of ice around the stuff it took us 4 days to thaw them out - and then she got mad at us when we threw away the food! What a life.

As for your daughter, is there any way to move your mil like we did? It would be much better for her. Failing that, could she come to your house - I know my mil really likes that. Or could they go out for tea in the afternoon? Something that will keep your daughter out of that house. I refused to let my kids into my mil's house for a number of years before we moved her.

Jeannie

Old 09-22-2004, 05:17 AM   #6
    MandyAnne26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Another thing,is her house not taken care of because she phsyicaly cannot care for it, or is she a horder (which they know suffer from a form of ocd, but it is very hard to treat)? I think the idea of moving her out, to a seinior complex, your house if you can care for her or an assisted living complex for her. It is not healthy for your daughter to be over there, i know it's a hard thing to hear because your daughter obviously loves her very much, but i don't think the health risks are acceptable. Your MIL obviously needs help, it would be nice if she coudl recieve that help and your daughter still gets to see her grandmother.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:59 AM   #7
    motherearth

motherearth HB User

Boy can I relate to this lady.We had a neighbor next door to us.The same thing You could not walk through her house.Was only in there once.They lived there for 3 1/2 years.We finally had to call the public health the smell was so bad.Garbage piled up to the windows outside.We have home garbage pick up once a week.This went on for months I called the landlord only to get yelled at.So I started to phoning everyone,The City people etc.For 2 years I've been smelling cat pee,dog pee,GARBAGE and mold.This is from our backdeck .Which we could not use this summer because of the smell.I have had clients(I work as a massage therapist in my home)compline about the smell.By this time the smell was as bad as it ever got.This lady dumped her kitty litter under the trees next to our yard.This is not a old person ,not working, has 2 teenager kids.Will when the public health guy was called he was over the next morning.And had condemn the house, moved the lady out. She had 5 dogs, 9 cats,many birds that her son had knocked out a trees to have in a cages,many rodents in cages.All in all they hauled out many cages of animals.With all of this going on the sewer back up.She had not clean this up also.So you can just imagine the stink.The landloards are now fixing up the house so they can rent it again!!!!!!.It still SMELLS!!!!I think it in the floor boards..Yes you can smell it in the yard.I have the lady that lived there mad at me and the landlady.How was I supposed to live next door to this place.So not only do you have to think about the people living in the house but the nieghbours.Also none of the other people on our block wanted to get involed now I can see why.Everyone here is alittle scared of the landlady.Well I wasn't .Now they are all siding with her and are a little concerned that I would phone the City people on them.Aleast this has gotten the folks here to clean their yards up alittle .Not that their yards were bad.There is no reason to have piles and piles of stinking garbage around for animals to get into.Like I said we have garbage pick up on a weekly basis.Was it wrong to do this to a neighbour?I did try to talk to her about this and got poo-pooed away.Well the place is getting cleaned up. I can use the back deck and maybe sweet smell air???????I never mention that when her sewer backed up so did ours >We cleaned that up right NOW!!!Guess I was venting to you all.Thanks for reading and listening.
    Love and Light
    RareEarth

Old 09-22-2004, 08:31 AM   #8
    Chrissi
    Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

motherearth---you did the right thing, any logical person can clearly see that it was a health hazard.

Closed Thread