It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 7 month old waking twice at night for bottle!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User
    7 month old waking twice at night for bottle!

Hi everyone you guys are so helpful so maybe you guys have more knowledge on this than I do. My son started sleeping throught the night at 3 months then stopped doing so when he was 6 months old. He is now 7 months old and no change. he drinks plenty of formula and eats great throughout the day, but at night he wakes up and refuses to go back to sleep without a bottle. Sometimes he will only drink 2 ounces other times it is 6 but either way he will go right back to sleep after and then wake up a few hours later for another bottle We can stuff him before bed and he will still wake up to eat in 3 1/2 hours, then again 4 or 5 hours later. What should I do? Is he really hungry or just needing a bottle to fall back alseep? I am considering letting him cry it out but I feel bad doing that. He doesn't have any teeth but if he was teething wouldn't he reject a bottle I heard that sucking on a nipple while teething can cause pain so I don't think that would be it right???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: 7 month old waking twice at night for bottle!

This has never happened to us, but I've read that sometimes when children are teething, instead of rejecting the bottle like most do, the prefer it 'cuz it feels good on their gums. Also, a friend of my MIL, says her grandson has always gotten up once or twice during the night for a bottle and he's 15 months old now. He could just be used to getting up now.

Just another thought -- does he eat like a crazy person all day long now, or is it just night time feedings?

Last edited by Ratatosk; 09-29-2004 at 09:42 AM.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:49 AM   #3
    jeff's girl
    (female)

jeff's girl HB User

My son did pretty much the same thing yours is doing. He started sleeping through the night about 2-3 months old, then around 6 months, he started waking up again and wanted to eat. He didn't really need to eat and wasn't really hungry but wanted the bottle. I tried water in his bottle, but that just made him mad. Eventually, after I figured out he didn't really "need" anything in the middle of the night, I started letting him cry. Eventually he quit. I know people disagree with this method, and I'm not sure I'm all for it, but he really just needed to learn to go back to sleep on his own. Letting a child learn to fall asleep by himself is one of the most important things they can learn. As long as you're sure he's getting enough to eat and he's not ill or in pain, and I'm sure you're aware of all of that, I would try letting him cry a little longer each night before you go in to check on him and see if he stops on his own. Hope this helps.

If it's any consolation, my second child NEVER woke up in the night for anything starting from day 1 until now. She's still impossible to wake up!!

Old 09-29-2004, 10:24 AM   #4
    worried_mommy
    Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

My 8 month old started doing this also about a month ago, but 3 times a night, just out of nowhere. What I am doing is trying EVERYTHING possible before giving her a bottle in the middle of the night. I'll rock her pat her back sing softly ect. then if that doesnt work I will give her the bottle...usually about 30 mins after she has woken up for it. Streching out the time between bottles. Now she is down from waking 3 times a night to just once. Sometimes is she is just wimmpering not REALLY crying I'll let her cry for a few minutes and she falls back to sleep on her own. HTH and hope you get a full nights sleep soon.

Old 09-29-2004, 11:06 AM   #5
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

My daughter started that as well around the same age, at first I thought she was getting teeth but after over a month eventually figured out it wasn't that. After talking with a health nurse I started thickening her bedtime bottle with rice cereal...I started off runny but a bit thicker than normal, and gradually increased the rice cereal until it was like a runny milkshake consistency. It improved her ability to sleep longer immediatly. I think the milk was just so thin she was digesting it quicker and getting hungry sooner. The rice/milk worked. I also had to teach her to fall asleep on her own as she had grown accustomed to me putting her to sleep. For the first 6 months of her life I had rocked her to sleep each night. I agree there are alot of different opinions on letting baby cry to learn how to fall asleep by him/herself and I felt horrible at first, I read several books on helping solve baby/toddler sleeping issues and they all said to let them cry and increase the time you would go in to console the child each night...but because I was having a hard time myself with it, in the beginning I cut the wait time in half (if not more). First off, make sure there are no other reasons baby is crying, (wet, dirty, hungry, sick, in pain, etc) once all possibilities are ruled out then you will feel better knowing it's not for any particular reason. The books recommended waiting 10 minutes(I started at around 4 minutes) before going in to console baby (don't pick up baby though as they will learn if they cry that you will pick them up) I would lay my daughter down, find her her binkie and check to see if there was anything she needed, I would carress her head and turn on her fish aqauiruim...then I would walk out, if she started crying I would wait another 4 minutes then repeat. The next night it says to increase by a few minutes but I increased each week...week 1 go in after 4 minutes, week 2 go in every 5 minutes, week 3 go in every 6 minutes etc. It didn't take long before she started sleeping well again. I would say I tried everything as well before letting her cry...she had one of those toy fish aqauruims attached to her crib to turn on when she wanted, I put a fan for whitenoise, I put a night light, I put room darkening shades, made sure she had at least 3 binkies, and a tiny cuddle toy, and I even gave her a sippy cup of water should she get thirsty through the night....of course there was the odd night that I would pick her up if she seemed like she wasn't herself....I assume she'd have a nightmare or was teething, but I limited the time I would hold her and after checking to see that all was OK she would go back into bed, I refrained from reverting back to rocking her to sleep. She is now 2 and is sleeping in a big girl bed(with a side rail) with no problems...she still occasionally wakes up, but by the time once I go in and retuck her under the covers and turn on her aquairuim she is already asleep. I believe each child is different and all parents have thier own ways of dealing with any issues that arise, what one person does may not be what another choses to do...but one option doesn't always work for every child the same way... I am comfortable now knowing our Daughter can help herself fall asleep...we recently went on a out of town trip, I was expecting to have a problem with her falling asleep in a completely strange house, let alone bed! But we had no problems at all with tucking our daughter into a big bed(with side rail) and walking out of the room, not a peep out of her! We do have a regular schedule and bedtime routine which we have found is helpful as well, she knows that after bath is snack time, sippy cup of milk with about 3 stories read by Mommy or Daddy (or Auntie) then she gives kisses and hugs to everyone (including our dog) and she walks straight to her room, no tantrums or anything, it's almost as if she is looks forward to bedtime. Goodluck.

Old 09-29-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
    twest
    (female)

twest HB User

If he will take it, try a pacifier. I used one with my son cuz he always wanted to suck. Only used it till about 1 1/2 years old. Or, you could try giving him water in his bottle in the middle of the night. Then he'll realize that's not what he wants and go back to sleep. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2004, 11:33 AM   #7
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User

My son did the exact same thing. He was sleeping through the night at 2 months, and began waking again at 5 months. I thought he may have hit a growth spurt, so I gave him a bottle, but then it became expected rather than necessary.

So I did some reasearch and found out that 7 month olds don't need a nightime feeding, plus that 7 months was the age that their memory span increases (they know that you're still there even if they can't see you and begin to realize that you will always take care of them) and they begin to form habits. So I found it the idea age to just let him cry it out. And he's been sleeping 12 hours without waking ever since.

I've also heard that offering water instead of formula works. Eventually the water bottle is not enough to bother waking for. Good lucK!
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 09-29-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

Thanks for your replies. The pacifire doesn't work when we go in there to put it in we realize he already has it in and he is fussing !!! It used to work but not anymore. We also have a problem... I know a lot of you mentioned go in there and check on him and extend the time but my son will go from fussing to screaming when he sees us. Like he will be fussing a little bit and if we go in his room to check on him or put the pacifire in and he sees us it is over!!! He gets so upset and then when we walk out to grab his bottle he really gets even more angry and screams louder. I think it is his way of saying "OH THERE YOU ARE, I WANT MY BOTTLE NOW!" We try to avoid going in there at all cause then he will never go to sleep but I am a sap and always give in.

Old 09-29-2004, 01:27 PM   #9
    natthebug
    (female)

natthebug HB User

count yourself lucky he goes to sleep after the bottle

Old 09-29-2004, 05:34 PM   #10
    worried_mommy
    Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Have you tried not going into the room UNTIL he's screaming? I hate doing it with my DD, but I really find that by letting her fuss it out, she will just go back to sleep. When if I went into the room she would scream for a bottle. Sometimes you just know that they're in need of something though. Mind you I lie awake ready to pounce out of bed the moment the fussing turns to crying....I wonder if that will ever end

Old 09-29-2004, 07:31 PM   #11
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

I am going to try giving him water tonight to see what happens. By the way Ratatosk he does eat like a crazy person all day long. He drinks 6 ounces of formula and eats 3 meals a day. He can eat a ton and sometimes I think I am over feeding him but no matter what he likes to wake up for bottles. If I count the night feedings he drinks close to 30 ounces of formula, 6 tablespoons rice cereal, 4 tablespoons fruit, 3 tablespoons veggies in 24 hours. I think that is plenty for a 7 month old.

Old 09-30-2004, 07:39 AM   #12
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

When I first asked about his appetite I was thinking of a disorder where the children just can't get enough to eat 'cuz they don't digest their food property -- it just runs through them. BUT... Then you got all those responses from other people going through the same thing, so sounds like it's just a phase he's going through.

BTW, my 15 month old got up at 4 this morning and decided it was time to play. Argh! I'm living with a hamster baby -- sleeps all day, plays all night!

Old 09-30-2004, 08:39 AM   #13
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

ok last night was the worst night ever. Dylan went down for bed at 8 after having a really good dinner. Well he woke up at 12:00 fussing. My husband said to just let him cry it out cuz he knew he wasn't hungry. Well he cried it out for 2 hours but it was more like screaming and hyperventalating the last hour he was so upset. I didn't sleep the whole time and decided to go get him a bottle. As I was making it I heard silence. I crept into his room and his eyes were closed but he seemed to be whimpering and trying to catch his breath. I knew he was falling asleep but felt so bad and guilty I said something along the lines of sorry very softly to him and he immediately opened his eyes and started crying again since I was there. I gave him his bottle which calmed him down completely and he was just quiet and happy. This was at 2 am and I guess he was so tired he just slept like a rock the rest of the night. It is 9:22 am and he is still sleeping! I felt so bad to make him so upset that I am never gonna do that again.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:36 PM   #14
    R&R

R&R HB User

I guess I'm what you call a pushover, but it doesn't matter to me. Our first daughter always slept through the night. But our second daughter is a different story. She just turned 8 months and still gets up in the middle of the night at least 3 times a week. Most of the time she takes a whole bottle, but every once in a while she takes a few ounces and goes right back to sleep. Sometimes she rustles around and goes back to sleep but when she starts crying and won't stop after a few minutes I know she needs a bottle. The way I look at it, babies can't help it if they just want a couple of ounces. They just know they are hungry. Adults eat midnight snacks from time to time don't they? Can you see where I 'm going with this?

Old 10-15-2004, 08:40 AM   #15
    Ashton'sMommy

Ashton'sMommy HB User

Sleeping thru the night is a 5 to 6 hour stretch of time. If your child is sleeping that amount of time they are sleeping thru the night.

It is normal for an 8 month old to wake up hungry. My son nurses usually 2 to 3 times per night. Not feeding them when they are hungry has been linked to failure to thrive and dehydration.

I think it is a stage that will pass but by all means don't refuse to feed and please dont let your little one lay in bed crying alone.

HTH

Closed Thread