It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 4-yr old w/erythema multiforme--HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
    uk mom
    (female)

uk mom HB User
    Unhappy 4-yr old w/erythema multiforme--HELP!

I need some help, fast, and am hoping someone out there has some information for me. My 4-year old son was diagnosed Tuesday with Erythema Multiforme. He had a case of the hives twice on Monday and Benadryl did not seem to be doing much for it. Since then the "hives" have joined together and spread over his entire body. For the most part they are not itchy, just scary looking. Yesterday he looked like he had a first-degree burn over 75% of his body. When the redness finally fades, lightly bruised areas are left. Then the welts start up again. I have done my own web research and talked with several MDs here, including an epidemiologist, so I know it is an allergic reaction of some sort. It is *not* the Stevens-Johnson variety, and he doesn't have any mouth involvement or open blisters.

I have somehow managed to find another mom in this city whose child had this last fall. She said her MD linked an ear infection her child had several weeks before to the rash's appearance. My son did have an ear infection over Christmas and was treated with Amoxicillin.

I am looking for anyone else who has experience with this disorder and might have more insight as to the ear infection link, duration of rash, and how to avoid going through this nightmare again. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
    poppy30
    (female)

poppy30 HB User
    Re: 4-yr old w/erythema multiforme--HELP!

I am sorry to hear about your son. My five year old last year had the same thing. It started on his face and spread all over his body. The doctors think it was reaction to a steroid shot he was given for a drug reaction. It does take a while to go away. Hopefully this will be of some help.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
    uk mom
    (female)

uk mom HB User

How long did your son's case last? I have heard everything from a week to a month and a half. I am in my final semester of nursing school and am considering dropping out. He usually is in a preschool program, but since obviously he can't go, I don't have anyone to take care of him full time.

I also hoped it might be resolving as the original rash had almost completely cleared this morning, but tonight he is covered in new hives again.

Thanks for the response. If you repost would love to have any hints about comfort measures you used for your son.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
    jloc
    (female)

jloc HB User

Hello,

UK_mom--how is your son's case progressing? My son (age 4) was just diagnosed today. We first noticed a couple of small spots on his face this morning and now he has them all over, and his left foot has a large swollen lump on the top. I am having a hard time finding any first-hand examples on the web. I don't know what to expect...

Thanks for your help (if you are still checking this thread)!

Old 01-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
    dmtustin
    (female)

dmtustin HB User
    Erythema multiforme

I'm older and have been in Emergency 2 times in December. Went in because I was very weak, had chills, and ached all over. First trip to the EM they said I had a Virus and was very dehydrated. Dr, there gave me a Sulfa drug(Bactrim) at 10 pm, by he time I got home at midnite, my R/hand started to have welts. was told to take another Bactrim in am, and get a prescript for Bactrim, In all I took 3 Bactrim, now I have welts on feet, ankles, hands and knees. To make a long story short, the results were that I had been on Avelox and Prednisone, prior for a sinus infection most of the summer, which caused my body to say , hey wait minute your body can't tolerate all the much anti-biotics. Its been a month and most of every thing is gone.

Closed Thread