It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• My 10yr. old has constant migraines - HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
    shannonrainy
    (female)

shannonrainy HB User
    My 10yr. old has constant migraines - HELP!

My 10 yr. old son has migraines. We went to the doctor and established that. We are supposed to keep him off caffeine for 2 weeks to see how that helps. I has been two weeks and they have reduced but haven't stopped. He will be getting reading glasses ( he has a very slight stigmatism,but perfect vision). But the thing is, he gets them when he hasn't read at all and he throws up a lot. The nurse at school is calling me at Least once every other week with his throwing up or headaches. She called earlier saying that he had thrown up but he says he didn't have a headache. So I'm at my wits end on what to do. I am ashamed to admit that I have let this go on too long,kind of shrugging it off eventhough my son doesn't lie. We moved into a cedar house a while back in the country. Could this play a factor? He has typical migraine symptoms: he wants to lay down a lot, sees flashes, throwing up, he has had stomach pains by his belly button for over a year ( but not a constant thing). If anyone has any info. that could shed some light on this I would be greatly appreciative!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
    QueenC
    (female)

QueenC HB User
    Smile Re: My 10yr. old has constant migraines - HELP!

My son too suffers from migraines. He just turned 11 and I have had him to the dr. who gave us a list of foods to eat and not to eat and he still got the migraines. He suffers about once a month. When it hits the pain is horrible. He also suffers from severe stomach pains which have not been diagnosed because they have done all different tests and nothing is abnormal. The stomach pains come and go but the migraines still remain. We have found a natural product called migraine headache relief by NatraBio, which stops the migraine very quickly. I also suffer from migraines and I take magnesium and B-Complex daily, which my neurologist advised me to do and it has really worked. I know how it feels to see your child in such pain from a migraine. I wish I could be of more help.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
    dackard
    (female)

dackard HB User
    Re: My 10yr. old has constant migraines - HELP!

Do you remember when exactly his symptoms started? That will help you pinpoint the cause.

In addition to the caffeine, you might also try modifying his diet to remove as many processed foods as possible, including sugar. Flour and sugar can cause a big spike in blood sugar and then when the blood sugar crashes, many people get migraines.

Could it be stress or social anxiety or troubles at school? My brother-in-law suffers from social anxiety and he used to come home from school everyday with a migraine and would throw up almost every day after school. Another cause of his migraines was stress at home, he had a very domineering mother. He also forgets to drink water and have regular snacks and gets migraines because of that too. (poor guy) My mother also has migraines, she gets them mostly when she's gone hungry for too long, typically just before dinner. Do you think your son's headaches might be related to low blood sugar?

Old 03-18-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
    Happytoes
    (female)

Happytoes HB User

Hi,
    I know how you feel my 15 year old has migraines (and so do I), he had his first one at six but now has them more regularly, he used to get the stomach pains and sickness with them but seems on the whole to have grown out of that side of things. Now he just has the pain behind one eye and can't bear light or noise (which is exactly the same as me) and he sleeps them off. I was told once to give him an enema to help sort out his stomach while he had a migraine, as you can imagine he didn't like the idea of that too much so that didn't happen but I do know other adults who will take these. I know some people think that food causes a migraine, caffeine like the doctor said and chocolate and cheese - I don't know about them causing it but after a migraine these are the kind of things that you just don't want to eat, you are tired and although the pain has gone it still feels like it is lurking around the corner. However, it is not all doom and gloom I can tell you a couple of things that I have found with both of us that might give you some help with your child. Firstly, and this is the most important one and it will seem very obvious but it took me twenty-eight years to figure it out (that doesn't say much for my intelligence I know!!!) -WATER, WATER,WATER One day I was laying a carpet in a bedroom the sun was pouring in through the window and I was perspiring really badly and my throat became really dry I started a really bad migraine and whereas normally with the I wouldn't have drunk or eaten anything just gone straight to bed I made myself drink lots of water because my throat was so dry and within half an hour the migraine was gone. That incident has got rid of most of my migraines, particularly in the summer I will drink more water than I actually want and my son has found the same thing if he does a lot of sport and doesn't remember to take on board a lot of water, even if at the time he doesn't think he needs it, he will have a migraine the next day.One other trigger is worry -don't panic this doesn't work how you might think it does, for example sometimes without even knowing you can be worried about a situation you can be and it is the relief after the situation that causes the migraine - I know that sounds weird but if I can give you an example - my son has a school exam coming up- on the outside he appears so laid back about it that you would think that he was going to fall over!! A couple of days before he starts to take it a bit more seriously, then he takes the exam and is fine during the exam but the next day or even late that night he gets a migraine and that is because the stress that he has managed to supress before goes and the migraine is like the relief afterwards - seems pretty unfair I know but it does seem to be a trigger. Everyone has different triggers for migraines and different remedies, I used to be like my son and your son now I have probably four a year. When Jamie started puberty he seemed to lose the sickness and stomach pains so they do change.It is difficult to see your child in pain but try and keep calm and don't over analyze because you will drive yourself mad, make sure if you are going to try things out that you only do things one at a time. I really feel for you and hope you and your child will have some luck finding things to help, I'd really like to hear how you get on.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
    dixie129
    (female)

dixie129 HB User

I had migraines for a couple of years. I no longer have them, but my daughter does she is 12. I searched and took her to so many diffrent doctors that I was tired and frustrated about it. I felt bad because when she would have one I could only cry and watch her suffer. They would last for hrs. I then looked into herbal meds. I worked at a pharmacy and the lady that I worked for told me to try a herb called Tang-kuei. I can tell you it worked for my daughter. She would get one and I would give her the herb and within a hr or two she was fine. You may want to look at that herb. I also took it to her Pedatrician and he said it would not hurt her. I hope this may help you in some way. I know what you are going through with the pain associated with the migraines and not being able to do anything about it. I was glad we found something that would help. I hope you have luck with what ever you try. God bless you and your family.

Closed Thread