It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Can toddlers develop reflux?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Can toddlers develop reflux?

The past couple of weeks my 21 month old DS has been having these random throw up episodes. Most of them are little bitty ones. It looks like a baby spit up. Every now and then he will get kind of choked on it and cough and really throw up. They usually happen when he's eating or shortly afterwards, or after he's had alot to drink. He just did it again a few minutes ago.

He's also woken up a few times in the middle of the night (like last night) screaming and crying hysterically. We thought he may be having nightmares, but we can't tell if he's just terrified or in physical pain.

He never had reflux as an infant, though he did have a big sensitivity to cows milk and alot of gas pain and problems. He's been on cows milk no problem since he was 12 months though.

He might have some trouble with highly acidic food sometimes like OJ (my MIL kept giving him OJ once after I told her not to and he threw up bright orange all over her white carpet in her brand new house. LOL.) And last night he had spaghetti, which he LOVES but had the night waking episode. I'm just confused because we have spaghetti all the time and he's just started doing this. But I have to wonder if it's the acidity of the tomato sauce??? Any suggestions?
    DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
    wimzie
    (female)

wimzie HB User
    Re: Can toddlers develop reflux?

Most definately they can! My daughter is nine, and has suffered with it for two years, but in my research and connections with other parents of refluxers, I've learned that infants can have it. When they have it that young however, they usually outgrow it. My daughter won't outgrow hers as she developed it later.

Nightwaking with young children who reflux, is usually due to pain in their tummies and esophagus area (and sore throat).

Good luck.

Get support and consider PPI's for treatment. They really work.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
    BYHOPE1113
    (female)

BYHOPE1113 HB User
    Re: Can toddlers develop reflux?

They definately can. My two year old has been on Zantac for about a year now and I can tell a difference at night when I forget to give it to her. The doctors also have her on Prilosec during the day but I really don't think that helps a whole lot. If I forget that one then I don't see any difference. When it comes to Zantac, I don't leave home without it. If I do, I won't be getting any good sleep because she'll be up 4 and 5 times fussing.

Closed Thread