It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• HEAD LICE

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2002, 07:47 AM   #1
    2mmk
    Inactive

2mmk HB User
    Post HEAD LICE

Does anyone have problems with school constantly having HEAD LICE??? I know it is going to happen, but it seems like it is the same kids getting it time after time, I was soo angry I actually called the local health department and unfortunately there is nothing they can do because it is not life threating - just gross!!! Our school has policy of not being able to re-enter until checked out by the principal, but I know that kids are being over-looked. I have talked with teachers who send kids down to office they see lice but are returned to class because the principal doesn't agree, [that is when I called health department] we don't have a school nurse. I stress to both my children please!!! don't let anyone wear your jackets, hats or sweatshirts and knock-on-wood they haven't contracted lice yet, but It scares me, I hear how hard it is to get rid of. How else can I protect them. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2002, 08:37 AM   #2
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    Get a shampoo with tea tree oil in it for you children to use on their hair. This will help tremedously. You mentioned that your school doesn't have a nurse......what do they have for sick and injured children? Our schools all have a health aide and I think the district nurse for our school district makes rounds at times. Why not take the time to find out what the laws are for your district regarding health officials in your schools. Also if head lice are that rampant in your school I am surprised they don't do a whole school lice treatment and then recheck every pupil before they are allowed back into the building. You might also contact the parent teacher organization in your school to see if they would be willing to mail out flyers to each home detailing head lice and it's treatment to each pupils home that is registered.

Old 10-24-2002, 08:37 AM   #3
    siobhan

siobhan HB User
    I don't know so much about prevention with children that age, it's sort of a fact of life with children, as gross as it is.

Frequent washing would be one way to prevent it, but it's so highly contagious that it's going to be spread around classrooms very easily.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:40 AM   #4
    2mmk
    Inactive

2mmk HB User
    Thank you both for the reply, I will try and look for shampoo with tea tree oil in it, do you know who makes it? Our school is quite small, sick/injuried children I guess they just call their parents, I have other issues in that department - my daughter had an asthma attack and I found out with a message on our answering machine - the health/gym teacher was in charge or her and decided on his own she was ok, she was later diagnosed 1week later with asthma. They have alot of teachers aids in our school but I know that noone is anytype of nurse or have nursing qualifications, which is scarey after what had just happened to my daughter. Anyway - I had just found out that lice was in my son's class from one of my daughters parents, she had called to let me know one of her daughters had lice (the one in my son's class) I thanked her very much for letting me know, as I haven't heard one word from the school regarding this case. The school does ocassionally send home instructions on how to get rid of lice, but like I said they don't abide by it. They can't.!!! That's why I did go to the health department for any "law" but their is not lice isn't a health risk - "life theatening".

Old 10-26-2002, 05:37 AM   #5
    SueAzzz

SueAzzz HB User
    My son's school constantly has problems with head lice. We get a notice home at least once a month. For a cheap alternative for head lice treatments, buy a cheap conditioner and mix about 100mls of that with about 20mls of tea tree oil (melaluca). It stills smells but it works. Leave it in overnight if necessary before combing and washing.

Old 10-26-2002, 02:57 PM   #6
    troubleinNC

troubleinNC HB User
    my kids had lice problems when they were at this one school. they expect the parents to do something about it but if the school dose'nt treat the carpets and chairs and especially the busses you won't never get rid of them. and this might sound crazy but flea shampoo for dogs has the same pestacides in them that lice shampoo does and its a lot cheaper like in my case we have 7 in the household. hope this helps. troubleinNC

Old 10-26-2002, 10:30 PM   #7
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    Tea tree oil shampoo is cheaper and safer to use that flea shampoo. I would never consider using pesticides on my kids or my head/hair. There are many companies that sell tea tree oil shampoo so just do a search for it on the web and you should be able to find a good source for it. Cost cutters should carry one brand of it too but I am not sure if you have cost cutters where you live. Also while you are at it check with your state regulations regarding health officials in your school system. I am sure they need to have some type of a health aide either in each school or one who rotates but check on this since you have many concerns.

Old 11-02-2002, 06:49 AM   #8
    schmidtzoo

schmidtzoo HB User
    Lightbulb

The tea tree oil works great to repel the lice, they don't likethe smell. I buy it at the pharmacy and just add a teaspoon to my kids shampoo. Also, here is what our school said to use over the lice shampoos. Baby oil. You pour some baby oil in a small dish. Dip a lice comb in the oil, and section by small section comb the baby oil through your child's hair.Wiping the comb on a paper towel after each comb through. do this until the hair is saturated. Then you let the oil sit on the hair. Every half hour for 3 hours you comb through with the lice comb again. Then you wash with liquid dish soap (it cuts the grease, you may have to wash it two or three times to get the oil out of the hair. Then the next day you do the same procedure agian but this time only for an hour. Then again 7 days later. This gets rid of the lice without using any chemicals. I was skeptical, but since I run a daycare in my home and the kids go to public school last year we had our first nasty lice infestation. I tried everything, but either the kids got it from school or a daycare kid brought it into my home. Finally I told the school if my kids got it from school one more time I was going to bring them the lice supply bills! That is when they told me about the baby oil. It did work, way better than any chemical shampoo.

Old 11-04-2002, 04:55 AM   #9
    gem2000

gem2000 HB User
    Hi,
    please do not use flea spray on your children. It may contain similar chemicals, but they are not in the same concentrations as in a lice shampoo. The guidelines that regulate animal product testing are also much less strict than those for humans. I agree with the tea tree oil, it works wonders and is also a preventative measure as well as helping to rid the actual lice. It also will not harm you like pesticides will.

Old 11-04-2002, 09:16 PM   #10
    wattagirl
    Veteran

wattagirl HB User
    i just wanted to add something-i think there is a misconception about lice only getting on dirty heads-from what i understand that isn't the case at all-and also you can use vaseline to kill lice-i bet it would be tough to get out though

Old 11-19-2002, 04:26 PM   #11
    Shmolissa
    (female)

Shmolissa HB User
    I had been dealing with a lice problem for almost a year by using those chemical based lice removal products but nothing seemed to work. I tried a tea-tree oil based product called Zero Lice and the lice literally fell off my daughter's head and I haven't seen a bug since. I don't know if this will help you because I live in Canada but you never know they might sell it in the United States too.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:33 PM   #12
    Lynn893
    (female)

Lynn893 HB User
    Talking

try this to kill lice: drench the entire scalp (hair) in mayonaise. do not use the mayo from the fridge - buy a new bottle and use it off the shelf - leave on the hair for up to 2 hours - you can actually see the lice trying to get out of the mayo - it smothers them - it does not kill the eggs though - after 2 hours comb out the mayo - then wash - then comb through with a nit comb using vinegar that you can heat up in the microwave - dip the nit comb in the warm vinegar and comb a section - repeat the entire process in one week to kill any nits that hatched. This method is non-chemical - and it works!! Believe me - my oldest daughter brought home lice 5 times in one school year - gave it to her brother and sister before she told us her head was itchy. It was kinda funny - the three of them sitting here in the livingroom - with mayo plastered on their heads. lol. Good luck. After wards - tea tree oil in the conditioner works to help keep them from laying eggs on the hair folicle because it leaves a slick coating on each hair shaft that the lice can't stick their eggs to .

Peace

Old 04-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #13
    angel_mom
    (female)

angel_mom HB User
    Re: HEAD LICE

Ok, let me get this straight.....TEA TREE OIL helps PREVENT lice???? Does it kill the lice and eggs? If not what does? Thanks soooo much!

Old 04-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #14
    fifistoosh
    (female)

fifistoosh HB User

The lice don't like the smell of tea tree oil so they tend to stay away from the hair, it doesn't kill lice or eggs.

Chemical treatments kill the lice but read the instructions carefully, most have to be repeated every other day to prevent eggs hatching and starting the cycle over again.
    I combed my daughters hair twice a day with a lice comb and pulled any eggs I found out with my fingers. They didn't come back (hopefully). we still use a tee tree oil shampoo and conditioner and I use a nit comb once a fortnight.

I did buy one of those electronic lice combs but it didn't really work, not worth all that money, stick to the old ways and repeat, repeat, repeat.......

Old 04-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #15
    layla=
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

layla= HB User

I had problems with headlice since madam started school at 2, The lice seem to become immune to everything, oil of any kind suffocates them, the best way i have found to rid headlice is to comb through their hair on a daily basis with a nit comb, simple but effective she hasn't seen a bug in at least a year.

Closed Thread