It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 2 yr old w/ facial twitching

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #1
    anglerma

anglerma HB User
    Post 2 yr old w/ facial twitching

About 6 months ago my 2 year old started scrunching up the left side of her face, at first was thought it was cute. She looked like popeye. Then she continued this. She would be watching tv or drawing. Not anything in preticular. It's not like she is making a face at someone. I asked the Dr. just last week. He suggested an EEG and an eye exam but would say anything else. HAS ANYONE EVER EXPERIENCED THIS?!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2003, 08:27 AM   #2
    mommyofhannah

mommyofhannah HB User
    You need to have her tested for Bels Palsey. I have a friend whose little one had similar symptoms and that is what was wrong.

Keep me posted.

Old 01-27-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
    anglerma

anglerma HB User
    Isn't Bels Palsey a total peralasis of one side or the other of the face. My husband had this a few years ago and he couldn't move his one side of his face at all?

[This message has been edited by anglerma (edited 01-27-2003).]

Old 01-28-2003, 07:17 AM   #4
    mommyofhannah

mommyofhannah HB User
    My friends ped. told her tha it can either be a peralisys or a muscle tightening. Either way you loose control of the muscles in your face.

Old 01-30-2003, 10:49 PM   #5
    LindaG
    Inactive

LindaG HB User
    I came to this message forum to discuss this same issue. My 11 year old son is doing a one-eyed squeeze and says he's not really aware of it. Almost looks like he's winking. I'm saddened to say that every search I've tried has led me to the Tic Disorder sites and this type of eye blinking is common there. It's been upsetting and I'm sorry to even suggest such a thing for fear of upsetting you as well but maybe you could find answers searching in that direction. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-03-2003, 02:50 PM   #6
    anglerma

anglerma HB User
    Thank you for the info on the tic disorders. This was very informational. We took her to a pediatric eye dr. and there is nothing wrong in that area. We also have an EEG schedule for March. Thanks again.

Old 02-09-2003, 12:00 AM   #7
    miseryweeps
    Inactive

miseryweeps HB User
    Now granted he is older, but my husband has a deviated septum in his nose. Basically, the part that runs down the middle of your nose inside is all deformed. One of the side effects of this is what the doctors called facial neualsia. Like facial paralysis, sort of. His eye would just start twitching and really bother him. I think he was diagnosed with an MRI. You may want to contact and Ear Nose and Throat doctor (ENT) to have an MRI done to see if it could be something similar. Does you child get lots of "colds" or have allergies? Anyway, I hope this helps you some.

Old 02-14-2003, 06:03 PM   #8
    thewaggz

thewaggz HB User
    My 10 year old son started doing this thing that was similar to what everyone is talking about. It went on for 2 months before we found out the Allegra was the cause. He had been on Claritin before and never had any problems. He was on Allegra for almost a month before we saw this "thing" happing. We never thought that's what it was from. I even called the company that makes Allegra and asked them if this could be a possible side affect. They assured me it was not. After seen a couple of Dr's, we ran into one that had seen it before. We stopped the Allegra. It took almost 2 months for the "ticking" to stop. But it finally did. We put him back on Claritin and it started again. He had developed an allergy to a medication found in allergy medicines. He can't take any with out this "tick" starting again. But when he is off of the med's, we never see it. I called Allegra and reported it. They confessed that they had received another report that it had happened to another child under the age of 12, but it was never proved to be the medicine. The commercial now says for children 12 and over.

Don't know if this is your problem, but thought I should share.

[This message has been edited by thewaggz (edited 02-14-2003).]

Old 03-11-2003, 07:47 PM   #9
    moetime

moetime HB User
    We have a similar problem with my 2.5 year old. She is squinting and blinking her right eye, crinkling her nose, curling her lip and protruding her chin. We took her to the ped. the day before and it has gotten worse since. She does not do it during the night. She is prone to sinus infections, and has come off of a dose of z-max (she is allergic to amox and suprex)...she is continuing to use Rhinocort and a gentimyacin nasal sprays to avoid another infection. I am very concerned that this is another reaction to meds. She is not on any other allergy meds as described in another posting. Has anyone else had a similar reaction to the Rhinocort ?

Closed Thread