It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 6 year old on zoloft any others?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2003, 09:26 AM   #1
    casey12

casey12 HB User
    Post 6 year old on zoloft any others?

Does anyone know how common it is for a Doctor to put children on Zoloft? Specifically ages 4-6?

[This message has been edited by casey12 (edited 03-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by casey12 (edited 03-28-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
    delrae4753
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

delrae4753 HB User
    Does your child have add or adhd? My Granddaughter has beeen on it since she was 6 she is add and adhd along with depression and post traumatic stress disorder she is on zoloft 50mg a day, medadate, clonipin ,

Old 03-28-2003, 07:42 PM   #3
    Laners

Laners HB User
    Hi, I'm also looking for some feedback from anyone who has a child on zoloft. My 8 year old daughter is ADD and is on Strattera. Which we started 2 weeks ago when she began to emotionally fall apart while taking Adderall XR. She has always had a "dark" side (her father suffers from depression - runs in his family). She began locking herself in the bathroom at school - crying - and the only reason she could give us and her teacher was that she feels "sad" inside. We were seeing the same behavior at home. She shows little interest in the things she always enjoyed. I have seen these symptoms before in my husband. Her Ped. prescribed zoloft - 25 mg to start going up to 50 mg if needed. We are planning to start tomorrow - I have to admit I am a little uncomfortable putting her on it. But I also realize what a difference antideppresants have made for my husband. It breaks my heart to have such a unhappy 8 year old!

Old 03-31-2003, 03:48 AM   #4
    mommyof5

mommyof5 HB User
    I find your posts very interesting, I have a 6 y/o who is often sad, cries at the slightest little thing, has low self esteem, etc. This is not new behavior, in fact she cried from birth - 8 months old (as if she had colic or "baby heartburn or indigestion"). I wanted to throw her against the wall (I hate to admit it but I really wanted to!). Weird thing about that crying is it stopped after I switched her to milk from formula. I couldn't afford formula anymore, I was alone with 4 kids all under 6. I always figured her "sadness" was because of her speech delay, a lot of the kids at daycare stayed away from her because they didn't understand her (even at 5). She had 1 or 2 good buddies (boys). Last summer (1st week of July) I pulled her out of daycare only because she was crying all the time, so I figured what the heck she starts kindergarten in a couple of months anyway. She had a great summer, then started school which was a big issue because she was dying to go. Then about a 1 1/2 months ago she comes home cying telling me kids are making fun of the way she talks and dresses (she's extremely self- concious-sp?),etc. I wrote a note to the teacher, turns out it was some kids in grades 2+3, and that she has lots of friends at her grade level and grade 1 because her bigger sister (13 months older) is in grade 1.

Anyway, I'm rambling on http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif . I always thought that one day she'll end up on anti-depressants because she's always been my "emotional one". Depression runs in my family too. My Mom"s on Paxil and I'm on Zoloft. Everybody who has ever known my dd knows she will cry at the drop of a hat, and it has nothing to do with not getting her own way, it's just an emotional thing. She is my most affectionite (sp), best behaved, best tempered child. She's 1 of 5

So I find it very, very interesting that kids that young CAN be on anti-depressants http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif . Maybe I should speak to her Ped.

Sorry for going on so much in YOUR post but it felt good to vent, thanks

mommyof5

Old 05-17-2003, 08:38 PM   #5
    KrisKris

KrisKris HB User
    Unhappy

Please just pay close attention to any side effects. I was on zoloft, and it made me feel agitated, angry, and almost violent sometimes. I had heard of a man killing his family while on zoloft, and they blamed the medicine. I never would have believed it until I started taking it. I was able to see what was happening to me, and quit it after three months. A child may not be able to tell you what is going on. So please just be careful on this medication.

Old 05-18-2003, 02:51 AM   #6
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

Hey mommyof5, does your little girl have fair hair by any chance?

It is just that what you have described she seems to fit the picture of PULSATILLA the homeopathic remedy. If I were you, I would give her a dose of this and see if it helps. You can get this from any healthfood store in a 6 or 30x potency. You can try giving her a couple of doses and seeing what happens.

I don't think that kids should be on antidepressants of any kind. ADHD is quite regularly misdiagnosed and a lot of kids can react to E additives in diet so I think you should try changing diet and looking at lifestyle in general for improvements. Antidepressants are not the answer to anything at all really and can be addictive. They suppress your feelings, when really you should allow yourself to have these feelings and deal with them instead. Therapy would be better.

Closed Thread